Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Human Body limits

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Science tells me otherwise.

An individuals body does have it limits, but as science has proven over and over again, the human body as a collective will adapt over time, thanks to evolution.

The more athletic we become, the more the body will adapt in future generations. Nobody ever thought a human would run a mile in under 4:30. That changed in the 1800's. Then, nobody ever thought it was possible that a human can run a mile in under 4 minutes. Roger Bannister blew that thinking out of the water.

Same goes with football. Every time someone says a human can't do something athletic, low and behold then end up doing it. Just takes time.
    Roger Bannister is further proof that the mind holds the body back... After he broke the 4 minute barrier, it was broken repeatedly and in short order.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    I've been saying for a while that the dangerous part about the NFL is the weight differential. Having 350 pound guys tackling 200 pound guys. In a sport like rugby, you have guys wearing the same padding that you would wear for soccer piling on top of each other on every play, but it's still less dangerous than football, because you have skinny guys tackling skinny guys. Back in the old days, the rules were more relaxed, but you didn't 350 pound, agile, athletic freaks hitting guys much smaller than them.

Who knows, maybe the NFL's problems can just be solved by having a maximum weight, where the players weigh-in before game time. They do it in wrestling.
    I thought about that too. In ever other competitive contact sport guys are matched up in weight classes.

I am not sure about having a weight limit for all, but maybe a weight limit for positions...?

Blog Entries

With all the weight & strength training that is done in athletics, there are two elements in the body that can't be trained...ligaments & tendons. Ligaments and tendons are the elements that hold joints together and affix muscles to bones...they come in the strength one was born with...PERIOD.
    I've seen many articles on resistance training and other ways to strengthen ligaments and tendons. Are you saying that there is no way to do that?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I have said it before and will say it again. The body can only be ready for CAR/TRAIN wrecks if it is getting it more than 1 time a week. The CBA has alot to do with the injuries also. Not all of it but, it is adding to the problem.

The training and workouts etc etc etc. Is only part of football training. Gamespeed and GAMEHITS cannot be simulated. The fact that practices are easier and the fact they can only do the one practice with pads has and will continue to cause injury. The body is an amazing machine. But it has to be used to a routine. The CBA took that routine away.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

I just tried to do a Google search for inhabitants of the NFL's Injured Reserve List - could not find it on the NFL site or the NFLPA site.

Closest thing was from a LasVegas gambling site (whose accuracy may be suspect).

Looks like 182 players are currently on Injured Reserve out of 1696 active roster spots on the 32 team 53 man active rosters (does not count practice squad). 10.7% on IR - who knows how many 2nd & 3rd rank players were 'nicked' and outright released without making it to any injury list (undrafted FA's cut during camp).

Blog Entries
    Lets be honest steroids are a big reason why there are so many bigger and faster players out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I just tried to do a Google search for inhabitants of the NFL's Injured Reserve List - could not find it on the NFL site or the NFLPA site.

Closest thing was from a LasVegas gambling site (whose accuracy may be suspect).

Looks like 182 players are currently on Injured Reserve out of 1696 active roster spots on the 32 team 53 man active rosters (does not count practice squad). 10.7% on IR - who knows how many 2nd & 3rd rank players were 'nicked' and outright released without making it to any injury list (undrafted FA's cut during camp).
    Point?

Correlation does not equal causation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've seen many articles on resistance training and other ways to strengthen ligaments and tendons. Are you saying that there is no way to do that?
    You can absolutely strengthen ligaments and tendons. They won't get bigger like muscles do, but you can strengthen them.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Lets be honest steroids are a big reason why there are so many bigger and faster players out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I know guys who are NFL big and very athletic who have never taken any PED. They just had incredible genes, ate a shit ton, and worked out a lot. My cousin is 6'5" and easily 300+ lbs. He's a big guy, but he isn't entirely made up of fat. His dad was a big guy too and was an all-American collegiate player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You can absolutely strengthen ligaments and tendons. They won't get bigger like muscles do, but you can strengthen them.
    I agree; I think the OP is saying otherwise

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I agree; I think the OP is saying otherwise
    Then the OP is sorely mistaken.

There are several exercises you can do (in particular, resistance band exercises and yoga) to strengthen ligaments, tendons, and the muscles that surround them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Lets be honest steroids are a big reason why there are so many bigger and faster players out there
    The NFL has done right with PED testing and was ahead of the curve on this issue, particularly ahead of the MLB.

Maybe ten years ago, you'd have a point, but PED's (with the exception of HGH) is randomly tested throughout the season. We've seen a half dozen players already test hot for various PED's just this season.