Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They don't have any better options and I hate to say this, but there really aren't many great QB options in this draft either.

If I were Jax, I'd cut Gabbertand draft Ryan Nassib, Tajh Boyd, or Zac Dyssert to compete with Henne in camp next year.

I would approach Tebow and tell him that if he were willing to be a back up QB, but compete for a starting spot as an h-back/TE/WR type of role then the Jags would be very interested. Think about it...the Jags have very little in the play maker department outside of Justin Blackmon. I don't think that Tebow is going to all of a sudden learn how to block and run pristine routes, but he's big (6'3" 235-240lbs), he runs well, he's athletic, and he's hard as hell to take down. I think if the Jags adopted Tebow in the same capacity that the Patriots are using Aaron Hernandez, then he could develop into a decent slash player.
    I've always felt that from Day 1 prior to Tebow getting drafted he should have considered a position change. I actually had tight end in mind and still do to this day. He's got the size and athelticism as you mentioned and the route running will come with lots of work, reps and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Jets are likely to cut Tebow outright now. It would be funny if this was a smokescreen by the Jags and they pick him up for nothing. It would sure fill the seats there but they would need to run the zone/read and stop trying to make him something that he's not.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1238034
    The Jets are so freaking stupid. Honestly, at this point, they're a bigger laughing stock than I can ever remember in the NFL.

I do NOT understand why nobody will give Tebow a chance. I understood the Broncos dumping him for Peyton Manning because they have the talent to win a Super Bowl now and he is a huge 2-3 year upgrade. But Tebow won a freaking playoff game last year and played EXTREMELY well in said game. Do the Jaguars seriously think they're better off with Blaine Gabbert?

I really think some team has to give Tebow a shot as a QB next year. The guy has major warts but you seriously mean to tell me he wouldn't upgrade the QB position for at least a few teams? You think he's worse than Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or the Frankenstein's monster Skelton-Lindley that Arizona trotted out last year when made-of-glass Kolb went down? At least he can run around and make some plays. If anything, RGIII (who is infinitely more talented than Tebow, don't get me wrong) has proven that an offensive staff with an imagination can design a system around what a QB does well and have some success even if it's unorthodox. The league is just too full of ultra-conservative coaches who are terrified of being blamed if an innovative idea doesn't work out.

Even if no team gives Tebow a shot next year... I could EASILY see him going to a really well-established team with a stable, highly skilled offensive staff that knows how to develop QBs and sees the potential to groom Tebow into something better. He's not the only QB to ever enter the NFL who needed work on his passing fundamentals. I could easily see him going to New England, Houston, Green Bay, etc. and developing for 2 or 3 years with the support of great coaching and an experienced starter ahead of him.

I'm really going to laugh 5 years in the future where coaches all around the league are disgusted and angry with themselves because they're watching the Patriots make another run through the playoffs led by Belichick and his star QB... only this time, Brady will have retired after handing the reins to a much more polished Tim Tebow. That would be an incredibly Belichickian scenario to unfold. I wouldn't be a fan of it of course, but I respect Tebow and I wish him success when he's not playing the Ravens. I think he could easily have such success if NFL coaches weren't such lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Is his contract up, or does he have one more year? That could be another thing, don't want to give new Jets GM a chance to stick you for a 1st or 2nd rounder for Tebow.
    Who on god's green earth would ever consider giving up a first or second rounder for Tebow?

He won't cost more than a 6th or 7th.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    So the Browns say they're going to make a big splash, target Chip Kelly, Gruden, and end up with Chud? The guy Cam Newton beotched about? wow....
    And to top it off, there are rumors that Haslam and Banner are targeting Mike Lombardi for a position in the front office. This is the same Mike Lombardi that worked for Modell and (along with Belichick) cut Bernie Kosar back in the day.... Browns fans can't be thrilled about these hires...
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 01-12-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Who on god's green earth would ever consider giving up a first or second rounder for Tebow?

He won't cost more than a 6th or 7th.
    Jacksonsville prior GM would have, after all he spent a 3rd round pick drafting a punter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The Jets are so freaking stupid. Honestly, at this point, they're a bigger laughing stock than I can ever remember in the NFL.

I do NOT understand why nobody will give Tebow a chance. I understood the Broncos dumping him for Peyton Manning because they have the talent to win a Super Bowl now and he is a huge 2-3 year upgrade. But Tebow won a freaking playoff game last year and played EXTREMELY well in said game. Do the Jaguars seriously think they're better off with Blaine Gabbert?

I really think some team has to give Tebow a shot as a QB next year. The guy has major warts but you seriously mean to tell me he wouldn't upgrade the QB position for at least a few teams? You think he's worse than Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or the Frankenstein's monster Skelton-Lindley that Arizona trotted out last year when made-of-glass Kolb went down? At least he can run around and make some plays. If anything, RGIII (who is infinitely more talented than Tebow, don't get me wrong) has proven that an offensive staff with an imagination can design a system around what a QB does well and have some success even if it's unorthodox. The league is just too full of ultra-conservative coaches who are terrified of being blamed if an innovative idea doesn't work out.

Even if no team gives Tebow a shot next year... I could EASILY see him going to a really well-established team with a stable, highly skilled offensive staff that knows how to develop QBs and sees the potential to groom Tebow into something better. He's not the only QB to ever enter the NFL who needed work on his passing fundamentals. I could easily see him going to New England, Houston, Green Bay, etc. and developing for 2 or 3 years with the support of great coaching and an experienced starter ahead of him.

I'm really going to laugh 5 years in the future where coaches all around the league are disgusted and angry with themselves because they're watching the Patriots make another run through the playoffs led by Belichick and his star QB... only this time, Brady will have retired after handing the reins to a much more polished Tim Tebow. That would be an incredibly Belichickian scenario to unfold. I wouldn't be a fan of it of course, but I respect Tebow and I wish him success when he's not playing the Ravens. I think he could easily have such success if NFL coaches weren't such lemmings.
    Mike Westhoff, who just retired from the Jets, had this to say about the Tebow situation:
    “It was a mess,” Westhoff told Joe Rose. “It was an absolute mess. You can say it however else you want, it was really a mess. I was very, very disappointed. There are things that Tim Tebow, as an NFL quarterback, he’s very limited in some things. If you throw him in the middle of a drop-back passing offense, he will look very, very average at best. But if you incorporate him in different facets of your offense, I think he can be a factor. That’s what I felt we were going to do, but we never did it.

Westhoff said he thought the Jets would use Tebow as an H-back, tight end, halfback, and fullback, and then unexpectedly line him up at quarterback. “That’s what I was expecting to see, and we didn’t do it,” Westhoff said.

Westhoff said his special-teams role with Tebow was expected to be “one percent” of Tebow’s total package. “It was supposed to only be a fraction, and it ended up being his only role,” Westhoff said.

“I don’t think anyone’s ever really answered that question,” Westhoff said. “Why didn’t we do it? I honestly don’t know. I know we didn’t practice it. We didn’t practice it in training camp. We were gonna unveil it. Well, I’m still waiting for the unveiling.”

“It was a distraction, and really a shame,” Westhoff said.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bow-situation/
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

73 year-old Monte Kiffin to the Cowboys as DC.

https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn

Blog Entries

yeah. No doubt, the guy is a great defensive mind, but he's almost as old as LeBeau, who is constantly asked about retiring.

Do any of their assistants have projections as a DC superstar? Would make more sense to bring him in to groom a DC.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Mike Westhoff, who just retired from the Jets, had this to say about the Tebow situation:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bow-situation/
    I read that too. Westoff is usually pretty candid so I'm not surprised to hear him vent.

I've hardly heard anyone say Tebow could be a succesful NFL qb. he's this generation's Dilfer, winning a playoff game and getting dumped. as much as the wheels were falling off the cart in Jetsland this year you'd think they would have played him if they thought there was any chance at all he could make something happen.
    I don't ever see him as anything but a gimmick player.
    I remember Brownie fans squealing for Brady Quinn...not NFL material.

what is it about Florida qbs by the way? Wayne Peace and all those Spurrier guys, none of them did much at the NFL level.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Apparently the Jets are interviewing Cam Cameron for their vacant offensive coordinator position.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I think Cam could be a great stabilizer for Sanchez. That's all that kid needs at the moment. Someone to come in, give him an easily digested playbook, let him throw some easy sideline routes, and minimize his turnovers.

Calm down his happy feet and cut down on all the reads he has to make.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cam is a very good option if you want a steady, simple offense. I think he'd be very good in New York.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron