Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Blog Entries

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The Chiefs have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL outside of the QB position. They have a near championship-caliber defense, good OL, excellent RB, and good cap space to further improve the team.

They're a couple players away from serious playoff contention. If Geno Smith pans out at all, they re-sign Branden Albert, and add a little help in the draft at WR, CB, and DL, they will be fine. Their problem has been that since 2010 they haven't even gotten mediocre play out of their QBs, all they need is a signal caller who doesn't make a ton of mistakes and gets the ball to his playmakers.
    They have some pretty glaring holes at receiver though. Especially if Dwayne Bowe does leave, which seems likely. They're also losing Glenn Dorsey, possibly Brandon Albert, and they really should consider dropping Tyson Jackson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run at Greg Jennings or maybe Mike Wallace. I also don't know if they'll target Geno Smith or not.

If I were Andy Reid, I'd sign Mike Vick (since he already knows the offense) and try to trade down. If I HAD to pick #1 overall...I'd probably go for Star Lotulelei or Luke Joeckel. I would also try and retain Brandon Albert and kick him inside to guard, draft Joeckel, and then in the 2nd/3rd rounds look at guys like Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd. Then look at receivers like Ryan Swope, etc.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They have some pretty glaring holes at receiver though. Especially if Dwayne Bowe does leave, which seems likely. They're also losing Glenn Dorsey, possibly Brandon Albert, and they really should consider dropping Tyson Jackson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run at Greg Jennings or maybe Mike Wallace. I also don't know if they'll target Geno Smith or not.

If I were Andy Reid, I'd sign Mike Vick (since he already knows the offense) and try to trade down. If I HAD to pick #1 overall...I'd probably go for Star Lotulelei or Luke Joeckel. I would also try and retain Brandon Albert and kick him inside to guard, draft Joeckel, and then in the 2nd/3rd rounds look at guys like Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd. Then look at receivers like Ryan Swope, etc.
    Bowe might stay now that a new coaching staff and GM will be coming on board. He got screwed by the previous regime and had major beef with Todd Haley and Pioli but they're out of the picture now. Even so, Bowe isn't all that great. I agree that if I were going to sign a receiver I'd prefer other guys to Bowe. Greg Jennings IMO is the best fit. He's coming off a down year so you're buying cheap, plus he's a great fit for Andy Reid's offense.

Andy Reid made the Eagles a consistent playoff contender despite never having an elite QB or elite WRs. McNabb and Vick both put up great numbers in his system despite not being elite talents. AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb looked pretty good in his system but turned out to be complete duds outside of it. All the Chiefs will need with Reid's system is competent QB play, he has Jamaal Charles to play the Brian Westbrook role. If the Chiefs can secure a decent QB and #1 WR in FA like Bowe or Jennings Reid will immediately have more skill position talent than he ever had in Philly. Even if they don't do that they can make do with Steve Breaston (who the current coaching staff hates for some reason but he's not a bad #2 receiver at all), Dexter McCluster in the slot, and a talented draftee that fits the WCO like Da'Rick Rogers, Stedman Bailey, Ryan Swope, etc.

In terms of getting said QB IMO the ideal option is to find a way to get Geno Smith without taking him #1 overall, i.e. trade down with somebody who really covets Lotulelei, Joeckel, Jarvis Jones, etc. hopefully to around the 10 spot or so, that should get you a 2nd rounder. Use that 2nd rounder on a DL prospect like Shariff Floyd, Kawann Short, etc. to replace Dorsey and/or Jackson (both of whom are extremely overrated and easily replaceable IMO). Don't forget they also have Dontari Poe on the roster and he can play NT and DE.

I think Geno Smith is the best fit for Reid's WCO by a pretty big margin, but he's not a top-5 overall type of QB prospect. If they don't go with Smith then like you said I'd maybe take Aaron Murray, Tajh Boyd, or Tyler Wilson.

EDIT: I just realized this and I thought I'd throw it in cuz it's funny. I totally forgot the Chiefs even had Jonathan Baldwin on their roster. Kind of crazy because I really wanted the Ravens to draft him in 2011 and I liked him a lot as a prospect. He has been a huge disappointment as a 1st round receiver and who knows what his future holds? But again maybe Andy Reid can get something out of him...
    Last edited by bmorecareful; 01-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Bowe might stay now that a new coaching staff and GM will be coming on board. He got screwed by the previous regime and had major beef with Todd Haley and Pioli but they're out of the picture now. Even so, Bowe isn't all that great. I agree that if I were going to sign a receiver I'd prefer other guys to Bowe. Greg Jennings IMO is the best fit. He's coming off a down year so you're buying cheap, plus he's a great fit for Andy Reid's offense.

Andy Reid made the Eagles a consistent playoff contender despite never having an elite QB or elite WRs. McNabb and Vick both put up great numbers in his system despite not being elite talents. AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb looked pretty good in his system but turned out to be complete duds outside of it. All the Chiefs will need with Reid's system is competent QB play, he has Jamaal Charles to play the Brian Westbrook role. If the Chiefs can secure a decent QB and #1 WR in FA like Bowe or Jennings Reid will immediately have more skill position talent than he ever had in Philly. Even if they don't do that they can make do with Steve Breaston (who the current coaching staff hates for some reason but he's not a bad #2 receiver at all), Dexter McCluster in the slot, and a talented draftee that fits the WCO like Da'Rick Rogers, Stedman Bailey, Ryan Swope, etc.

In terms of getting said QB IMO the ideal option is to find a way to get Geno Smith without taking him #1 overall, i.e. trade down with somebody who really covets Lotulelei, Joeckel, Jarvis Jones, etc. hopefully to around the 10 spot or so, that should get you a 2nd rounder. Use that 2nd rounder on a DL prospect like Shariff Floyd, Kawann Short, etc. to replace Dorsey and/or Jackson (both of whom are extremely overrated and easily replaceable IMO). Don't forget they also have Dontari Poe on the roster and he can play NT and DE.

I think Geno Smith is the best fit for Reid's WCO by a pretty big margin, but he's not a top-5 overall type of QB prospect. If they don't go with Smith then like you said I'd maybe take Aaron Murray, Tajh Boyd, or Tyler Wilson.

EDIT: I just realized this and I thought I'd throw it in cuz it's funny. I totally forgot the Chiefs even had Jonathan Baldwin on their roster. Kind of crazy because I really wanted the Ravens to draft him in 2011 and I liked him a lot as a prospect. He has been a huge disappointment as a 1st round receiver and who knows what his future holds? But again maybe Andy Reid can get something out of him...
    I liked Baldwin a lot too. That guy was pretty damn good at Pitt. I think a lot of Baldwin's issues have been playing in an offense that barely features a passing game. The guy reportedly has some maturity issues, so that combined with an anemic passing game is a recipe that will make anyone not put forth 100%. In Reid's offense, Baldwin could be pretty good. Reid has done more with a lot less (Jason Avant, for example).

I liked Baldwin a lot too. That guy was pretty damn good at Pitt. I think a lot of Baldwin's issues have been playing in an offense that barely features a passing game. The guy reportedly has some maturity issues, so that combined with an anemic passing game is a recipe that will make anyone not put forth 100%. In Reid's offense, Baldwin could be pretty good. Reid has done more with a lot less (Jason Avant, for example).
    You might be right. Some WRs really just need to get a chance to get the damn ball in their hands and then the light starts to come on. I understand if the guy's not running good routes and getting open you don't want to throw to him, but it's just like most QBs. Ask them to go in cold and make 5 tough throws in a row and they'll probably miss 4 out of 5. You have to get them in rhythm with a few easy completions and then they can start taking over.

If I had a guy like Baldwin who was struggling some, I'd just start throwing him 3 or 4 guaranteed completions a game. Screens, drags, short hitches, etc... get the ball in his hands and see if he can make a play. If he can't make a play, be patient. After he's made a few catches and gotten a few tastes of the defense, then you start trying to work him in on the harder stuff downfield.

Hey, wait... that sounds familiar. Don't we have a deep threat WR who struggles with the mental aspects of the game at times? The Ravens could really stand to learn this lesson with Torrey Smith, and under Caldwell they might be getting there. You can't just expect him to catch 3 deep balls a game and nothing else. Hit him with a screen or a slant a couple times to get him going and THEN try the deep stuff.

Blog Entries

Chiefs have a lot of studs on their team, and Andy Reid loves to 'fix' the QB position. I think it's a great fit for him

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Chiefs have a lot of studs on their team, and Andy Reid loves to 'fix' the QB position. I think it's a great fit for him
    And to this point, I have a sneaky suspicion Kirk Cousins is going to be wearing a different shade of red next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And to this point, I have a sneaky suspicion Kirk Cousins is going to be wearing a different shade of red next year.
    That would be a good fit. Cousins would be a good one for Reid's offense. Don't rule out Mike Vick heading to KC.

That would be a good fit. Cousins would be a good one for Reid's offense. Don't rule out Mike Vick heading to KC.
    I think he's had enough of Vick.

He's got the first pick in the Draft, Geno Smith is a definite possibility.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think he's had enough of Vick.
    I as well, and i think Cousins is a good call and a good fit. Vick i think needs to be in a offense built around the run game where they use his athleticism to hold defenders, use play action, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I as well, and i think Cousins is a good call and a good fit. Vick i think needs to be in a offense built around the run game where they use his athleticism to hold defenders, use play action, etc.
    Any team that want's Vick, better talk to us about a certain backup we have at QB because he won't last a whole season. So it's either adjust(like the Eagles have constantly had to do) or bank on not winning alot of games because you have to switch offensive philosphies constantly through the year. Than how do you build a team around that?

I just don't see Vick having many suitors when the Igles cut ties with him. Him and Tebow might make a good combo somewhere. At least you have something you can build around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    He's got the first pick in the Draft, Geno Smith is a definite possibility.
    He just does not impress me at all. I haven't seen many of their games but the few I've seen he's been lost.

There is still plenty of time for his management group to clean up the image and work the combine / pro day so time will tell...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!