Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 532

Thread: Black Monday

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Black Monday



    My friend who works for the Falcons said that the word down there is that Mike Nolan and Dirk Koetter are expected to leave for HC positions.

    Apparently, Mike Nolan is a dark horse possibility for the Browns? That'd be interesting.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #272
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,020
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My friend who works for the Falcons said that the word down there is that Mike Nolan and Dirk Koetter are expected to leave for HC positions.

    Apparently, Mike Nolan is a dark horse possibility for the Browns? That'd be interesting.
    I really like Dirk Koetter. He's one of those guys who can elevate the talent he's given on offense. The Chargers would be a nice fit.

    I was the Browns Lovie Smith would be at the top of my list. What they need is someone who has experience winning. Smith has his flaws but he would bring something to the Browns that they have never had since coming back into the league.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  3. #273
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I really like Dirk Koetter. He's one of those guys who can elevate the talent he's given on offense. The Chargers would be a nice fit.

    I was the Browns Lovie Smith would be at the top of my list. What they need is someone who has experience winning. Smith has his flaws but he would bring something to the Browns that they have never had since coming back into the league.
    I agree that the Browns just need a coach who has been a winner in the past. I think the Browns (and maybe Buffalo) are a team that SHOULD look to go for a retread...if and only if to instill a winning mentality. A lot of people underestimate how a coaches attitude can really rub off on a team. Part of the reason why Billick was successful in Baltimore was because of his attitude and mentality towards the game.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #274
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,930
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    I think the Browns want to make a statement / splash type selection to get the fan base going. We should know in the next few days where they're leaning
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  5. #275
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,020
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think the Browns want to make a statement / splash type selection to get the fan base going. We should know in the next few days where they're leaning
    You think that's what's behind the Nick Saban talk? Saban and John Gruden are the splashiest names out there. I don't see either really working there with a GM who will clearly be in charge but they would get the fans fired up. I do think we are looking at the end of the clueless Browns teams that we have gotten used to. It will take a year or two but this franchise could making the AFC North a lot more competitive. Hopefully Mike Brown undermines the Bengals by the time that happens and they begin to suck again.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  6. #276

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree that the Browns just need a coach who has been a winner in the past. I think the Browns (and maybe Buffalo) are a team that SHOULD look to go for a retread...if and only if to instill a winning mentality. A lot of people underestimate how a coaches attitude can really rub off on a team. Part of the reason why Billick was successful in Baltimore was because of his attitude and mentality towards the game.
    I agree to an extent. I don't like the fit of Chip Kelly for the Browns and it sounds like he's their first choice. Bill O'Brien is their second choice and that could be a decent fit... obviously O'Brien has experience turning bad situations around. But I think a guy like Lovie Smith or Mike Nolan are both good choices. Defense is the strength of the Browns and they need to grow that team with smothering defense, a good running game, and a passing attack that controls and protects the football and moves methodically down the field.

    Honestly the Browns are a team on the rise and if they had a competent coaching staff and GM with real winning DNA, they could go far. They need to hit on another draft class to upgrade the team talent level, and they need coaches that can consistently motivate and put together winning game plans. They could easily be a playoff team in 2014 if they get the right people running the ship.

    As for the Bills... sounds like they're going to hire Whisenhunt and I don't really get that. I like Ken Whisenhunt a lot but the reason he failed in Arizona is that he never had a real QB to run his offense. Now he's going to go to Buffalo where they don't have a real QB either? Seems like they'll be taking a QB early in the draft and seeing if he can beat out Fitzpatrick, not sure if that will happen in this draft class. Can Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray step in and be what Ben Roethlisberger was when Whisenhunt was in Pittsburgh? They ran the ball well and asked Ben to throw off play-action and convert some 3rd downs. Maybe...

    If I were Buffalo I would be looking at Chip Kelly. They already have experience in the spread from Chan Gailey's time there, and they could easily go out and get a QB who can run the spread option. They have GREAT personnel to run that system and it could catch teams by surprise.




  7. #277
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree to an extent. I don't like the fit of Chip Kelly for the Browns and it sounds like he's their first choice. Bill O'Brien is their second choice and that could be a decent fit... obviously O'Brien has experience turning bad situations around. But I think a guy like Lovie Smith or Mike Nolan are both good choices. Defense is the strength of the Browns and they need to grow that team with smothering defense, a good running game, and a passing attack that controls and protects the football and moves methodically down the field.

    Honestly the Browns are a team on the rise and if they had a competent coaching staff and GM with real winning DNA, they could go far. They need to hit on another draft class to upgrade the team talent level, and they need coaches that can consistently motivate and put together winning game plans. They could easily be a playoff team in 2014 if they get the right people running the ship.

    As for the Bills... sounds like they're going to hire Whisenhunt and I don't really get that. I like Ken Whisenhunt a lot but the reason he failed in Arizona is that he never had a real QB to run his offense. Now he's going to go to Buffalo where they don't have a real QB either? Seems like they'll be taking a QB early in the draft and seeing if he can beat out Fitzpatrick, not sure if that will happen in this draft class. Can Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray step in and be what Ben Roethlisberger was when Whisenhunt was in Pittsburgh? They ran the ball well and asked Ben to throw off play-action and convert some 3rd downs. Maybe...

    If I were Buffalo I would be looking at Chip Kelly. They already have experience in the spread from Chan Gailey's time there, and they could easily go out and get a QB who can run the spread option. They have GREAT personnel to run that system and it could catch teams by surprise.
    I agree about Chip Kelly to Buffalo.

    CJ Spiller is perfect for Kelly's offense and they already have 2 QB's on their offense who can run the spread zone-read (Brad Smith and Tarvares Jackson). Buffalo could also make a move for Tajh Boyd.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #278
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,124
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree to an extent. I don't like the fit of Chip Kelly for the Browns and it sounds like he's their first choice. Bill O'Brien is their second choice and that could be a decent fit... obviously O'Brien has experience turning bad situations around. But I think a guy like Lovie Smith or Mike Nolan are both good choices. Defense is the strength of the Browns and they need to grow that team with smothering defense, a good running game, and a passing attack that controls and protects the football and moves methodically down the field.

    Honestly the Browns are a team on the rise and if they had a competent coaching staff and GM with real winning DNA, they could go far. They need to hit on another draft class to upgrade the team talent level, and they need coaches that can consistently motivate and put together winning game plans. They could easily be a playoff team in 2014 if they get the right people running the ship.
    One reporter from NFLN tweeted that he spoke with an unnamed NFL exec, and he said that the Browns have the best young roster to work with out of all the coaching jobs open. I agree with that too. They really aren't that far off.




  9. #279
    Whatever Buffalo wants. I'm for anything that can lead to a consistent challenger for NE.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  10. #280

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The goal isn't to get to the playoffs every year. Call it spoiled if you want but I don't see why the Ravens fans should be aiming lower than the Steelers, Giants and Patriots fans do. That doesn't mean you fire Harbaugh but it does mean he should be criticized.
    OK, but what is that criticism?
    For getting the Ravens to win the division this year. That is about what the talent level on the team would have as a reasonable expectation this year. And that was with a healthy team.
    IMO, with the talent level on this team, he has had a successful year.


    On a side note, I know most are focusing on at the cooridinator level, but a big improvement could be made with some new good position coaches.




  11. #281
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,930
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    Browns should take a hard look at Syracuse coach Doug Marrone
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #282
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,020
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Browns should take a hard look at Syracuse coach Doug Marrone
    I heard he was on their list and on the Bills list.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  13. #283

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Won't be long now, Rex Ryan will go on record again proclaiming a SB will happen for the jets. One more year like the last two the jets had and rex will get canned.
    Can't really be sure until he and Woodrow are done with their EOS assessment. From Rick Cimini:

    This just in: Neither Rex Ryan nor Woody Johnson will be available today to comment on, like, everything. #Jets




  14. #284
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,930
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Can't really be sure until he and Woodrow are done with their EOS assessment. From Rick Cimini:
    what a circus
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  15. #285
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Black Monday

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-coaching-job/

    Dirk Koetter opts to stay with the Falcons as their OC. Must not have been able to get what he wanted to move up to HC.

    The Browns, Chiefs, and Eagles were all interested in him. None of those teams really have that great of a QB...so maybe that's why he didn't leave? I bet if San Diego came calling he may change his mind.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland