Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Results 205 to 216 of 532

Thread: Black Monday

  1. #205

    Re: Black Monday



    Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    I'm with you, but credit where credit is due: they're top ten in points allowed. At the end of the day that's all that matters. Given the lack of a true superstar defender this season, Pees gets a pass unless he takes the Mattison route and retires/moves to a college program.

    These old school type coaches are better suited for the college game IMO. The preach fundamentals, lining up and beating the player across from you, as opposed to creatively scheming against the opponents scheme. The NFL is becoming more of a plug and play league, where teams who are te most successful have minimized the number of individual players that are essential for the team's overall success. That's why the Pats continued to have success when they were trotting WRs out to play CB.
    They're actually tied with the Giants for 12th--344 points allowed in total, 21.5 per game. About 5 ppg more than each of the last four seasons.

    I can't disagree with anything you're saying. And maybe with a healthier season things would have been better. I think the main thing is that I disagree with the 'bend-but-don't-break' philosophy which he seems to be a proponent of. I'd rather have a guy at DC whose goal is to get his defense off the field.




  2. #206

    Re: Black Monday

    Whisenhunt would be my #1 candidate in the offseason for Ravens OC. The guy is an offensive genius who designs the offense around what his players do well. He was a run/play action guru with Roethlisberger (he understood Ben's limitations) and a timing/rhythm based pass-heavy maven with Kurt Warner. Any coach that gets the best out of very different players has talent.

    I doubt it will happen, though, unless Norv Turner turns them down. Norv's system would be very familiar to the players and coaches while Whisenhunt's Erhardt-Perkins scheme would be totally new and require a bit of a learning curve. I think the Erhardt-Perkins is a good fit for our personnel, though... it stresses running the ball to set up play action like the AC, but focuses more on seam routes and scheming guys open. It's what the Patriots run (Whisenhunt learned it under Bill Cowher, who learned it from Ron Erhardt)




  3. #207
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    Don't be so sure Norv is here...He has no ties to Harbaugh, and he's made comments about Rex and the Jets, who are reportedly ready to push their chips all in for him. And, they're out of the playoffs, so they can start pursuing him now. We would have to wait until playoffs are over and we relieve Caldwell of duties.

    Whisenhunt or Shurmur might be good candidates. Want no part of Sparano. Wonder about Childress, he's another guy with Harbaugh ties...
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  4. #208
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,463
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    It's Whiz' anemic offenses that ultimately got him fired. Not sure he gets high ratings as an OC; he only did that for two years
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  5. #209

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's Whiz' anemic offenses that ultimately got him fired. Not sure he gets high ratings as an OC; he only did that for two years
    He got fired because Warner left and he didn't have a QB. If you don't have a QB it really doesn't matter how good of an offensive mind you are. I'm not sure how much personnel control Whisenhunt had but the lion's share of blame for their QB mess should probably go to the GM, Rod Graves. He's the one that backed the Brinks truck up for Kevin Kolb.

    He was an OC for 3 years at Pittsburgh, but the Cardinals offense from 07-12 was his baby even if Haley was the coordinator in name. His credentials are better than most and his system works (when it has a competent QB.)




  6. #210
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,344
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Black Monday

    Whisenhut....ehhh...I don't know.

    I am, however, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in a lot of circumstances because he never had a QB to work with once Kurt Warner retired.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. Re: Black Monday

    If Caldwell doesn't work out as OC, then either Whisenhunt or Turner would be good choices.
    But no to Shurmur, Childress, Sparano or Knapp.




  8. #212

    Re: Black Monday

    I would assume that if the Ravens wanted to they could reach a deal for a guy to be Offensive coordinator? I mean Caldwell is only OC as a fill in. I would assume that if they wanted a guy there are no NFL rules that would prevent them from calling Norv and getting a deal done. I thought the ban on hiring only applied to hiring coaches away from teams still in season. The Ravens have an OC position open are there any NFL rules that would prevent them from interviewing and hiring if there is a guy they like.

    Could be part of the reason they moved Cam out when they did. So they would not be left out in the cold after the post season. I would imagine they could get a deal in priniciple at the very least with a guy they like

    I like Turner but Wisenhunt would not be that bad if you ask me .
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis




  9. #213
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,348

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I would assume that if the Ravens wanted to they could reach a deal for a guy to be Offensive coordinator? I mean Caldwell is only OC as a fill in. I would assume that if they wanted a guy there are no NFL rules that would prevent them from calling Norv and getting a deal done. I thought the ban on hiring only applied to hiring coaches away from teams still in season. The Ravens have an OC position open are there any NFL rules that would prevent them from interviewing and hiring if there is a guy they like.

    Could be part of the reason they moved Cam out when they did. So they would not be left out in the cold after the post season. I would imagine they could get a deal in priniciple at the very least with a guy they like

    I like Turner but Wisenhunt would not be that bad if you ask me .
    No NFL team can contact another teams coach unless they have permission from the team or they have been fired / let out of their contract.

    Yes, Cam was most likely fired during the season to the team would be prime to strike first at an OC opening. But it's highly unlikely they would have a deal in place with someone ahead of time. That's a HUGE no-no in the league and and could cost a team draft picks / hundreds of thousands of dollars if they discover a team colluded behind another teams back.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #214

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No NFL team can contact another teams coach unless they have permission from the team or they have been fired / let out of their contract.

    Yes, Cam was most likely fired during the season to the team would be prime to strike first at an OC opening. But it's highly unlikely they would have a deal in place with someone ahead of time. That's a HUGE no-no in the league and and could cost a team draft picks / hundreds of thousands of dollars if they discover a team colluded behind another teams back.
    No what I mean is that the Ravens could hire/reach a deal to announce later with Turner or Wisenhunt since they are no longer employees of their previous organizations. Did not mean that they were working on it from the time they let Cam go.

    Obviously they cannot talk to guys who are still under contract but guys who are not could they (Wisenhunt, Turner etc)
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis




  11. #215
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,463
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    No what I mean is that the Ravens could hire/reach a deal to announce later with Turner or Wisenhunt since they are no longer employees of their previous organizations. Did not mean that they were working on it from the time they let Cam go.

    Obviously they cannot talk to guys who are still under contract but guys who are not could they (Wisenhunt, Turner etc)
    It would make sense for the front office to have reached out (when permissable) to some guys so they're not left with the crumbs after the SB win

    Oz may have already placed a few calls.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #216
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,348

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    No what I mean is that the Ravens could hire/reach a deal to announce later with Turner or Wisenhunt since they are no longer employees of their previous organizations. Did not mean that they were working on it from the time they let Cam go.

    Obviously they cannot talk to guys who are still under contract but guys who are not could they (Wisenhunt, Turner etc)
    Both of those guys were under contract up until a few hours ago.

    It would have been against league rules for the Ravens to reach out to them and get a deal done prior to them being canned.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland