Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Blog Entries

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Some people don't understand criticism. "He sucks" isn't criticism. "He'll never be [insert some "observation" here]" isn't criticism.
    True but some people also praise coming close as if it's the goal. Andy Reid just got fired after 14 years with the Eagles. 10 years from now will that be remembered as the golden era of Eagles football because it shouldn't be. We shouldn't be satisfied with a Reid Eagles like level of success.

From 2009-2011 we've had more talent and better balance than any other time in Ravens history. We've been to the playoffs 5 straight years but it's nothing compared to what that 2000 team with almost no offense was able to accomplish. That is what this franchise is really about. We should cheapen that with over excitement about making the playoffs or winning the AFC North.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The goal is to win the Super Bowl. They've all said that many times.
    Well of course, that's every team's "goal" in sports: to win a championship. But when the other much more likely outcome plays out--not winning a championship--the Ravens don't want to experience a "rebuilding" situation that leaves them home in January.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Won't be long now, Rex Ryan will go on record again proclaiming a SB will happen for the jets. One more year like the last two the jets had and rex will get canned.

Blog Entries

Getting to the playoffs every year shouldn't be a goal, but it's certainly a notch in the belt. Sometimes, getting to the big game is all about getting lucky at the right time. If you're one of the 12 at the end of the year, year in and year out, better odds you catch some of that luck.

I'd rather have 6-7 years of playoff football without a SB than be a team like KC. Playoffs nowadays are few and far between, because they keep redrawing their team and missing.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    You gotta get to the playoffs to get to the SB. However, everyone's end goal should be the Lombardi trophy. Period.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

True but some people also praise coming close as if it's the goal. Andy Reid just got fired after 14 years with the Eagles. 10 years from now will that be remembered as the golden era of Eagles football because it shouldn't be. We shouldn't be satisfied with a Reid Eagles like level of success.

From 2009-2011 we've had more talent and better balance than any other time in Ravens history. We've been to the playoffs 5 straight years but it's nothing compared to what that 2000 team with almost no offense was able to accomplish. That is what this franchise is really about. We should cheapen that with over excitement about making the playoffs or winning the AFC North.
    I agree.

This franchise has won a SB. From that point forward that should always be the standard. The people in DC are losing their minds because the Slurs won their first division title in 14 years. The Ravens are superior in every way and should be aiming to win it all especially when you have a division rival whose been to 3 SB's in the past 7 years and won 2.

Denny Green's Vikings team made it to the playoffs 8 out of 9 years during his tenure and no one remembers anything about them other than they lost in NFC title game on their home field to an average Falcons team.

The Ravens are better than that but guys like Flacco and Ray Rice have to play with a sense of desperation in order to get over that hump.

Blog Entries

My friend who works for the Falcons said that the word down there is that Mike Nolan and Dirk Koetter are expected to leave for HC positions.

Apparently, Mike Nolan is a dark horse possibility for the Browns? That'd be interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My friend who works for the Falcons said that the word down there is that Mike Nolan and Dirk Koetter are expected to leave for HC positions.

Apparently, Mike Nolan is a dark horse possibility for the Browns? That'd be interesting.
    I really like Dirk Koetter. He's one of those guys who can elevate the talent he's given on offense. The Chargers would be a nice fit.

I was the Browns Lovie Smith would be at the top of my list. What they need is someone who has experience winning. Smith has his flaws but he would bring something to the Browns that they have never had since coming back into the league.

Blog Entries

I really like Dirk Koetter. He's one of those guys who can elevate the talent he's given on offense. The Chargers would be a nice fit.

I was the Browns Lovie Smith would be at the top of my list. What they need is someone who has experience winning. Smith has his flaws but he would bring something to the Browns that they have never had since coming back into the league.
    I agree that the Browns just need a coach who has been a winner in the past. I think the Browns (and maybe Buffalo) are a team that SHOULD look to go for a retread...if and only if to instill a winning mentality. A lot of people underestimate how a coaches attitude can really rub off on a team. Part of the reason why Billick was successful in Baltimore was because of his attitude and mentality towards the game.

Blog Entries

I think the Browns want to make a statement / splash type selection to get the fan base going. We should know in the next few days where they're leaning

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think the Browns want to make a statement / splash type selection to get the fan base going. We should know in the next few days where they're leaning
    You think that's what's behind the Nick Saban talk? Saban and John Gruden are the splashiest names out there. I don't see either really working there with a GM who will clearly be in charge but they would get the fans fired up. I do think we are looking at the end of the clueless Browns teams that we have gotten used to. It will take a year or two but this franchise could making the AFC North a lot more competitive. Hopefully Mike Brown undermines the Bengals by the time that happens and they begin to suck again.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree that the Browns just need a coach who has been a winner in the past. I think the Browns (and maybe Buffalo) are a team that SHOULD look to go for a retread...if and only if to instill a winning mentality. A lot of people underestimate how a coaches attitude can really rub off on a team. Part of the reason why Billick was successful in Baltimore was because of his attitude and mentality towards the game.
    I agree to an extent. I don't like the fit of Chip Kelly for the Browns and it sounds like he's their first choice. Bill O'Brien is their second choice and that could be a decent fit... obviously O'Brien has experience turning bad situations around. But I think a guy like Lovie Smith or Mike Nolan are both good choices. Defense is the strength of the Browns and they need to grow that team with smothering defense, a good running game, and a passing attack that controls and protects the football and moves methodically down the field.

Honestly the Browns are a team on the rise and if they had a competent coaching staff and GM with real winning DNA, they could go far. They need to hit on another draft class to upgrade the team talent level, and they need coaches that can consistently motivate and put together winning game plans. They could easily be a playoff team in 2014 if they get the right people running the ship.

As for the Bills... sounds like they're going to hire Whisenhunt and I don't really get that. I like Ken Whisenhunt a lot but the reason he failed in Arizona is that he never had a real QB to run his offense. Now he's going to go to Buffalo where they don't have a real QB either? Seems like they'll be taking a QB early in the draft and seeing if he can beat out Fitzpatrick, not sure if that will happen in this draft class. Can Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray step in and be what Ben Roethlisberger was when Whisenhunt was in Pittsburgh? They ran the ball well and asked Ben to throw off play-action and convert some 3rd downs. Maybe...

If I were Buffalo I would be looking at Chip Kelly. They already have experience in the spread from Chan Gailey's time there, and they could easily go out and get a QB who can run the spread option. They have GREAT personnel to run that system and it could catch teams by surprise.