Page 1 of 17 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Black Monday

The Ravens may be heading to a season of cultural change, particularly if these are the last times we see Reed and/or Lewis in purple. However, as the Ravens march to another playoff berth, a lot of franchises are heading to their own crossroads this offseason, particularly on the coaching and GM side of things.

The Ravens have also had a lot of changes that have been forced upon them by success. Under Harbaugh, we're already on our fourth DC. 2nd OC. Others have been poached to be co-ordinators elsewhere, front office been hired elsewhere... How it goes. Even firings.

That said, could the Ravens have a season of not having being poached off? The front office looks set - suitors after DeCosta have been warded off, it would seem. There's always a possibility that a team could go after someone like Hortiz, but there seems enough buzz around front office guys elsewhere.

On the coaching side, having an older guy on the DC means less of a chance of him being poached. Of course, having a relative down year doesn't help your stock if that's what you go for. Imagine a guy like Monachino having success as a Ravens' DC? He'd last five seconds before getting a HC shot. Caldwell's perhaps the only variable, though that depends more on his own performance than anything else. Another shot at HC may be more in a year's time if ever. Is there any 'buzz' around any of our other coaches?

There may be significant player turnover as always, perhaps even seismic shift in player culture and sure, there are still some positioning coaches that would have many on here chipping in for a farewell party, but maybe for once a bit of stability?

Blog Entries

Re: Black Monday

I'd rather have Pees go do something else. Just saying.

Edit: Everyone and their mother new DelRio was getting fired. The biscuit and Co need to jump off a cliff for not bringing him back instead of this ass clown they hired.

Blog Entries

Agreed; I'd rather start next year with new coordinators, although jury is still out on whether Caldwell could be OC

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post

Edit: Everyone and their mother new DelRio was getting fired. The biscuit and Co need to jump off a cliff for not bringing him back instead of this ass clown they hired.
    I was a huge fan of bringing back a familiar face in, Mike Nolan.

He's doing a great job down in Atlanta.

Del Rio had never been a D-coordinator before. And while Pees hasn't been stellar, he's had to deal with multiple injuries to key players.

I was hoping Monachino got a shot. He might've brought some of that Italian/aggressive swagger that left the Ravens defense when Pagano left.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I was hoping Monachino got a shot. He might've brought some of that Italian/aggressive swagger that left the Ravens defense when Pagano left.
    I second this, not sure if he's had as big a role this year, but last year, he was ALL over the SoundFX Ravens v 49ers footage, calling out stuff from the booth. Sounded like Pagano's right hand guy.

I think the only way Pees goes is if they are bringing a big name to replace him. Nolan, Rex Ryan, maybe Del Rio (that one to me is least likely). Otherwise, Pees gets at least another year to prove himself.

I think the next two weeks will truly determine Caldwell's chances. After the Denver game, we were mostly sure he wasn't going to work out. After the Giants game, we're mostly sure he's the answer to our prayers. The truth is somewhere in the middle, and two weeks against two decent Ds should craft a better response.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Lol @ people defending Pees just because of injuries. Sure I'd give him a pass if we slid a few spots but we slid 2 dozen. Sorry injuries don't account for all that.

In VERY recent years another DC had Reed out for half a year, Ray out for a half dozen games(well 4 but he still wasnt at full speed the next 2) an age'd JJ and another age'd guy in Redding. Mix in Ellerbe not playing up to the level he has this year and is capable of, a couple of no name or rookie CB's and well you get the point. Sorry Pees got handed a top 10 defense at WORST with a ton of young talent to mold with aid from Ray and Ed and failed miserably. Early in the season the only guy out was Suggs.

Sorry again, no pass from me. But I will agree the front office will prob retain him unfortunatly.

And now the talk in Jacksonville is 'How did DelRio ever manage to win 5 games with the talent he had, talent was added this year and we ended up with 2 wins'. Be careful of what you ask for - you may get it. Jags have fired their GM - not even 1 pro bowl pick among his years of draft choices, including Top 10 picks the past 4 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    And now the talk in Jacksonville is 'How did DelRio ever manage to win 5 games with the talent he had, talent was added this year and we ended up with 2 wins'. Be careful of what you ask for - you may get it. Jags have fired their GM - not even 1 pro bowl pick among his years of draft choices, including Top 10 picks the past 4 years.
    Their GM selected a punter when Russell Wilson was still there... let that sink in

any thoughts on whether Billick will return to the coaching business? I really thought he'd have a gig by now.
    this many openings I'm sure we'll see some surprise hires.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    any thoughts on whether Billick will return to the coaching business? I really thought he'd have a gig by now.
    this many openings I'm sure we'll see some surprise hires.
    I think he's right in his wheelhouse and has no desire to return to the grind of coaching.