Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Blog Entries

Re: Black Monday

I don't know why Andy Reid would want to go to KC.

However, I can understand the Cardinal's dilemma. Ray Horton is getting some attention as a HC candidate and players love him. If the Cards pass him over as a HC there, then he could easily split and go somewhere else as a HC. The Cards would be smart to promote Horton and look at bringing in an offensive guy.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't know why Andy Reid would want to go to KC.

However, I can understand the Cardinal's dilemma. Ray Horton is getting some attention as a HC candidate and players love him. If the Cards pass him over as a HC there, then he could easily split and go somewhere else as a HC. The Cards would be smart to promote Horton and look at bringing in an offensive guy.
    That's what I would do if I were the Cards. In fact that would be a great place for Norv Turner to go as the OC/Assistant Head Coach.

Reid is looking for money and control. He's going to go to any team that gives him both. I don't think he cares about existing talent because he's going to want to recreate the team. It's similar to what Holmgren did with the Seahawks.

Blog Entries

Lovie Smith getting an interview with the Bills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's what I would do if I were the Cards. In fact that would be a great place for Norv Turner to go as the OC/Assistant Head Coach.

Reid is looking for money and control. He's going to go to any team that gives him both. I don't think he cares about existing talent because he's going to want to recreate the team. It's similar to what Holmgren did with the Seahawks.
    I would even say maybe Marty Mornigwheg since he has experience with Kevin Kolb.

Blog Entries

I would even say maybe Marty Mornigwheg since he has experience with Kevin Kolb.
    That's a good idea too. The key is to get someone with lots of offensive experience in there. It's just like what Ozzie did to Harbaugh. They pushed Rex on him. Everyone knew that Rex wasn't long for the job but for that 1st season it made sense that a rookie head coach had experience in an area outside of his expertise.

Per Shefter ...

From @mortreport and me: Chiefs on verge of a deal with Andy Reid. One source said “the major issues have been discussed and agreed upon.”

I think the key for the Cardinals is going to be finding a way to get something out of the passing game. Kevin Kolb is not a good fit for a vertical offense, which is part of why he struggled in Whisenhunt's system. He needs to go back to a West Coast Offense with shorter drops getting the ball out on time to Larry Fitzgerald and running the ball. If they can put him in a system friendly to his talents and give him a bit more help at OL and RB then they'll be fine.

I like the fit of Marty Mornigwheg as OC out in Arizona. They just need somebody who knows Kolb and can get the most out of him because there's no QB in next year's draft who is a definite upgrade on him although they'll probably still get a guy to groom behind him. Honestly I still think that if they don't go with Horton they should push for Andy Reid. He's what they need.

Blog Entries

Just because Kolb is on the roster next season doesn't mean he's there past 2013 or even starts the whole year. Kolb isn't such a good QB that you base a coaching decision around him. It's very likely that the Cards draft a QB with their 1st pick this year. Then Kolb is really on a short leash.

Blog Entries

OMG, this is funny...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    The Cardinals have in fact formally asked for permission from the Steelers to interview Todd Haley

HAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, bring in the douchebag to run your team after he was run out of KC, and then failed to get the Steelers to the playoffs!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Just because Kolb is on the roster next season doesn't mean he's there past 2013 or even starts the whole year. Kolb isn't such a good QB that you base a coaching decision around him. It's very likely that the Cards draft a QB with their 1st pick this year. Then Kolb is really on a short leash.
    The things I said about Kolb would be applicable to any modestly talented QB, but particularly to Kolb who they already have and have already paid. Is Tyler Wilson such an upgrade over Kolb? Not at all, but if he were drafted his job would still be to get rid of the ball out of his hands and into Larry Fitzgerald's as quickly as possible. It's not about basing a coaching decision around one player but rather around one positional situation, i.e. having uncertainty at quarterback.

The Cardinals were 4-2 under Kolb and his QBR was only 1 point lower than Joe Flacco's despite having possibly the league's worst offensive line. The problem with Kevin Kolb isn't that he's not good enough to run the offense at a decent level, the problem is that he took a ton of hits and got injured. If he's permanently injury prone that's one thing, but maybe they should try protecting him a little better before they make that call.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The things I said about Kolb would be applicable to any modestly talented QB, but particularly to Kolb who they already have and have already paid. Is Tyler Wilson such an upgrade over Kolb? Not at all, but if he were drafted his job would still be to get rid of the ball out of his hands and into Larry Fitzgerald's as quickly as possible. It's not about basing a coaching decision around one player but rather around one positional situation, i.e. having uncertainty at quarterback.

The Cardinals were 4-2 under Kolb and his QBR was only 1 point lower than Joe Flacco's despite having possibly the league's worst offensive line. The problem with Kevin Kolb isn't that he's not good enough to run the offense at a decent level, the problem is that he took a ton of hits and got injured. If he's permanently injury prone that's one thing, but maybe they should try protecting him a little better before they make that call.
    Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus March 15 and has a $9 million base salary. It's very possible that the new coach and GM who come in there decide that he's not worth that money and just end up dumping him. Everyone is quoting Bidwell saying that they haven't given up on Kolb yet but he did say more. Bidwell also said that they are looking for someone to evaluate Kolb and tell them if he's the future or not.

If I'm a new head coach I might want to go with the rookie and be given some time to turn the team around. If this coach does stick with Kolb and Kolb gets hurt or doesn't play well the owner is going to be pretty upset that he just spent $11 million on a guy that will be then dumped after 2013. A rookie and a cheaper free agent QB as a backup might be the safer route for the new coach and/or GM.

Blog Entries

Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus March 15 and has a $9 million base salary. It's very possible that the new coach and GM who come in there decide that he's not worth that money and just end up dumping him. Everyone is quoting Bidwell saying that they haven't given up on Kolb yet but he did say more. Bidwell also said that they are looking for someone to evaluate Kolb and tell them if he's the future or not.

If I'm a new head coach I might want to go with the rookie and be given some time to turn the team around. If this coach does stick with Kolb and Kolb gets hurt or doesn't play well the owner is going to be pretty upset that he just spent $11 million on a guy that will be then dumped after 2013. A rookie and a cheaper free agent QB as a backup might be the safer route for the new coach and/or GM.
    If the Cardinals cannot get a better option in the draft, which is debatable, then I don't see them dumping Kolb. Especially if they bring in a guy who knows what his strengths are and can "cater" to them.