Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It would make sense for the front office to have reached out (when permissable) to some guys so they're not left with the crumbs after the SB win ;)

Oz may have already placed a few calls.
    Yea that what I am thinking. The Ravens had to know that if they intended to replace Cam then putting out the help wanted sign prior to the end of the season makes some sense since there is always a coaching merry go round this time of year. In that respect dumping Cam when they did makes a lot of sense and while it does not gaurentee that you get a top shelf guy, it does let those type of guys know that the job exists.

If you wanna get back to being a HC, you could do worse than OC of this team. There is talent on the offensive side of the ball to work with and this is an organization that has proven they want to win and can win. All good omens if your looking for a job that will propel you back towards a HC job
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Both of those guys were under contract up until a few hours ago.

It would have been against league rules for the Ravens to reach out to them and get a deal done prior to them being canned.
    LOL I totally get that. Was simply saying nothing would stop Ozzie from calling NOW. If Cam were still under contract, I doubt those calls would be made. Poorly verbalized on my part sorry. :)
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Gotta tell you... we were expecting some firings but this is one busy Black Monday. Wow

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

i'd like to get a new offensive line coach. we have enough talent to play better than what we are playing. someone needs to tell oher to stay on his block and stop quitting on plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    LOL I totally get that. Was simply saying nothing would stop Ozzie from calling NOW. If Cam were still under contract, I doubt those calls would be made. Poorly verbalized on my part sorry. :)
    Ah. I see.

Will, if Norv et all are indeed on their radar, I think it's a safe bet calls have already been made.

And if I were Norv, I'd slow play it and get the best deal possible.

Gotta tell you... we were expecting some firings but this is one busy Black Monday. Wow
    No doubt.

I kinda feel for Lovie Smith. Think the guy is a decent HC and deserves another job.

If I were Buffalo or KC I would be looking at guys like Brian Billick, Lovie Smith, Gruden, Reid, etc.... guys who have proven they can win with talent.

The latest up and coming coordinator is great, some of these college names are great but those organizations need a steady coaching hand IMO. Stability
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Ah. I see.

Will, if Norv et all are indeed on their radar, I think it's a safe bet calls have already been made.

And if I were Norv, I'd slow play it and get the best deal possible.
    If the Ravens have one or two guys they really like, make em an offer they cant refuse and if they do then move on to the next one.

This many openings means lots of OC positions will be available. Better to strike quickly then to be left without a chair if the music stops.
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    No doubt.

I kinda feel for Lovie Smith. Think the guy is a decent HC and deserves another job.
    According to reports on SiriusNFL, the players really reacted negatively when they heard Lovie was fired. They love the guy. But he's had a few years with a great defense and Cutler for 3 years and still couldn't do it so that's why they let him go. Gonna be tough for anyone in that job as long as Aaron Rodgers is still around.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

According to reports on SiriusNFL, the players really reacted negatively when they heard Lovie was fired. They love the guy. But he's had a few years with a great defense and Cutler for 3 years and still couldn't do it so that's why they let him go. Gonna be tough for anyone in that job as long as Aaron Rodgers is still around.
    Yea totally agree. Grew up as a Bears fan so still have some love for Da Bears.
    It was prob time for a change but Lovie is a quality head coach IMO. There are several teams out there that could benefit from him. Browns, KC, Buffalo, all teams were Lovie would be the best HC they have seen in years IMO.
    -Ray Lewis

per WNST twitter, Eric Decosta intends to stay here, not go to some of these GM openings

It would make sense for the front office to have reached out (when permissable) to some guys so they're not left with the crumbs after the SB win ;)

Oz may have already placed a few calls.
    I said before that I would start interviewing guys soon.

Considering Caldwell didn't even seem eager to take the OC job, I don't think stepping on his toes would be an issue. I do think he needs to stay on the staff...at least as an QB coach.

I'd look at guys like Wisenhunt, Turner, and Reid now. I know some think it would be a distraction, but I don't...and you can bring them in as a "consultant" much like the Pats did with Josh McDaniels during their playoff run last year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Don't be so sure Norv is here...He has no ties to Harbaugh, and he's made comments about Rex and the Jets, who are reportedly ready to push their chips all in for him. And, they're out of the playoffs, so they can start pursuing him now. We would have to wait until playoffs are over and we relieve Caldwell of duties.

Whisenhunt or Shurmur might be good candidates. Want no part of Sparano. Wonder about Childress, he's another guy with Harbaugh ties...
    I don't know that the Ravens are interested in Norv but I don't think he'd jump to the Jets without atleast listening to what the Ravens have to say if they were interested. The Jet's don't have a QB, they don't have a RB, and they don't have much talent at WR. The Ravens have one of the best RB in the game, we have a solid QB, and are fairly deep at WR, if only with potential. We need pieces on the OL and that is it. Not to mention in NY he'd be with a coach on the hot seat in Rex, most likely when Rex goes his whole staff goes. The Ravens offer a lot more job security, no matter what folks say Harbaugh isn't going anywhere. Simply put the Ravens are the better job of the two. No OC is going to choose the Jets job over the Ravens.

The one thing that the Jets do have in their favor is that like you said, they can make the hire now. We can't without creating a distraction.