Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 532

Thread: Black Monday

  1. #256
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,149
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday



    Looking at all of this firing madness makes me realize how spoiled we are.

    Playoffs 5 straight years. No other team can claim that. True, no SB's in those years, but there are about 28 other franchises that would kill just to have such consistency in reaching the playoffs.

    Only 1 team can win anyway, and how valuable is a SB win really when a 9-7 team can get in, play well for 3 games, and win on one lucky ass pass? Seriously, SB's can be won in some pretty stupid ways. It is one game. The point is to always be in a position to get to that game, and we know anything can happen in one game of football.

    You see teams like Buffalo that just seem to have a turnstile for coaches coming in and out. They are never building toward anything, just constantly rebuilding.

    Harbaugh will never be confused for an offensive or defensive "genius" like you see some of these other guys get labelled (some of the same guys are looking for a job right now). But he does seem to be a pretty good leader of men. Of course having some great talent makes any coach look better, but there are plenty of teams that have some good talent yet fail year after year.

    So when we nitpick Harbaugh's stupid challenges and such, just take a second to think about how good we really have it. There are some really bad teams out there. Not just their W/L's. But culturally some of these teams just seem lost, stuck in perennial loser-ville.

    Plus we always have our domination in our lone SB win to always hang our hats on. Teams that have been around much longer than the Ravens don't even have that.

    Can you imagine being a Lion's fan?
    Last edited by bt12483; 01-01-2013 at 05:35 PM.




  2. #257
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,149
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    Twitter rumors saying Reid and Heckert already signed on to go to AZ.

    Reid/Kolb reunion. Maybe they think Reid can make Kolb an NFL QB again. Or at the very least remind him to just throw the damn ball to that guy named Larry.

    Imagine if Flacco had a guy like Larry...




  3. #258
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Looking at all of this firing madness makes me realize how spoiled we are.

    Playoffs 5 straight years. No other team can claim that. True, no SB's in those years, but there are about 28 other franchises that would kill just to have such consistency in reaching the playoffs.

    Only 1 team can win anyway, and how valuable is a SB win really when a 9-7 team can get in, play well for 3 games, and win on one lucky ass pass? Seriously, SB's can be won in some pretty stupid ways. It is one game. The point is to always be in a position to get to that game, and we know anything can happen in one game of football.

    You see teams like Buffalo that just seem to have a turnstile for coaches coming in and out. They are never building toward anything, just constantly rebuilding.

    Harbaugh will never be confused for an offensive or defensive "genius" like you see some of these other guys get labelled (some of the same guys are looking for a job right now). But he does seem to be a pretty good leader of men. Of course having some great talent makes any coach look better, but there are plenty of teams that have some good talent yet fail year after year.

    So when we nitpick Harbaugh's stupid challenges and such, just take a second to think about how good we really have it. There are some really bad teams out there. Not just their W/L's. But culturally some of these teams just seem lost, stuck in perennial loser-ville.

    Plus we always have our domination in our lone SB win to always hang our hats on. Teams that have been around much longer than the Ravens don't even have that.

    Can you imagine being a Lion's fan?
    I was just thinking yesterday how it's been so long for us Ravens fans since the end of the season has meant no more Raven's football. Honestly, for all the hate our D has gotten this year, they've looked god the last few weeks, even against Manning until Joe blew it. I'll take us against anyone in the post season. Hell, if I was Marvin Lewis, I would have been ripping my starters a new one at half time.




  4. #259
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,149
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    I was just thinking yesterday how it's been so long for us Ravens fans since the end of the season has meant no more Raven's football. Honestly, for all the hate our D has gotten this year, they've looked god the last few weeks, even against Manning until Joe blew it. I'll take us against anyone in the post season. Hell, if I was Marvin Lewis, I would have been ripping my starters a new one at half time.
    I am wishing on a star our D gets healthy at the right time (which it seems may be the case) and goes on a rampage in the playoffs.

    A toss back to the old swarming, turnover creating D we have seen over the years.

    We seem to be clicking in certain areas...Brown has looked really good, Graham has been solid, Kruger keeps stepping up. Ellerbee coming back and instantly being productive.

    If we can get Suggs and Ngata and Ray back, and Smith can earn his draft pick status (like he looked like he was on track to doing in last year's playoffs), we could do some damage, even against guys like Brady and maybe even Manning if we are super lucky. I mean, if now isn't the time to exercise the Manning demon I don't know when is. That bastard has owned us. We all know he isn't the best playoff QB anyway.




  5. #260
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    in a Purple Haze
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Twitter rumors saying Reid and Heckert already signed on to go to AZ.

    Reid/Kolb reunion. Maybe they think Reid can make Kolb an NFL QB again. Or at the very least remind him to just throw the damn ball to that guy named Larry.

    Imagine if Flacco had a guy like Larry...
    KTVK in Phoenix first reported that Andy Reid and the Cardinals are close to a deal.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

    NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!




  6. #261
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,038
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Looking at all of this firing madness makes me realize how spoiled we are.

    Playoffs 5 straight years. No other team can claim that. True, no SB's in those years, but there are about 28 other franchises that would kill just to have such consistency in reaching the playoffs.

    Only 1 team can win anyway, and how valuable is a SB win really when a 9-7 team can get in, play well for 3 games, and win on one lucky ass pass? Seriously, SB's can be won in some pretty stupid ways. It is one game. The point is to always be in a position to get to that game, and we know anything can happen in one game of football.

    You see teams like Buffalo that just seem to have a turnstile for coaches coming in and out. They are never building toward anything, just constantly rebuilding.

    Harbaugh will never be confused for an offensive or defensive "genius" like you see some of these other guys get labelled (some of the same guys are looking for a job right now). But he does seem to be a pretty good leader of men. Of course having some great talent makes any coach look better, but there are plenty of teams that have some good talent yet fail year after year.

    So when we nitpick Harbaugh's stupid challenges and such, just take a second to think about how good we really have it. There are some really bad teams out there. Not just their W/L's. But culturally some of these teams just seem lost, stuck in perennial loser-ville.

    Plus we always have our domination in our lone SB win to always hang our hats on. Teams that have been around much longer than the Ravens don't even have that.

    Can you imagine being a Lion's fan?
    The goal isn't to get to the playoffs every year. Call it spoiled if you want but I don't see why the Ravens fans should be aiming lower than the Steelers, Giants and Patriots fans do. That doesn't mean you fire Harbaugh but it does mean he should be criticized.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  7. #262
    The goal as I have interpreted Stevie to say is to not experience consecutive playoff misses, or worse, major roster rebuilds.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  8. #263
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,038
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    The goal is to win the Super Bowl. They've all said that many times.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  9. #264
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The goal isn't to get to the playoffs every year. Call it spoiled if you want but I don't see why the Ravens fans should be aiming lower than the Steelers, Giants and Patriots fans do. That doesn't mean you fire Harbaugh but it does mean he should be criticized.
    Some people don't understand criticism. "He sucks" isn't criticism. "He'll never be [insert some "observation" here]" isn't criticism.




  10. #265
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,038
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Some people don't understand criticism. "He sucks" isn't criticism. "He'll never be [insert some "observation" here]" isn't criticism.
    True but some people also praise coming close as if it's the goal. Andy Reid just got fired after 14 years with the Eagles. 10 years from now will that be remembered as the golden era of Eagles football because it shouldn't be. We shouldn't be satisfied with a Reid Eagles like level of success.

    From 2009-2011 we've had more talent and better balance than any other time in Ravens history. We've been to the playoffs 5 straight years but it's nothing compared to what that 2000 team with almost no offense was able to accomplish. That is what this franchise is really about. We should cheapen that with over excitement about making the playoffs or winning the AFC North.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  11. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The goal is to win the Super Bowl. They've all said that many times.
    Well of course, that's every team's "goal" in sports: to win a championship. But when the other much more likely outcome plays out--not winning a championship--the Ravens don't want to experience a "rebuilding" situation that leaves them home in January.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  12. #267

    Re: Black Monday

    Won't be long now, Rex Ryan will go on record again proclaiming a SB will happen for the jets. One more year like the last two the jets had and rex will get canned.




  13. #268
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Black Monday

    Getting to the playoffs every year shouldn't be a goal, but it's certainly a notch in the belt. Sometimes, getting to the big game is all about getting lucky at the right time. If you're one of the 12 at the end of the year, year in and year out, better odds you catch some of that luck.

    I'd rather have 6-7 years of playoff football without a SB than be a team like KC. Playoffs nowadays are few and far between, because they keep redrawing their team and missing.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  14. #269
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3
    You gotta get to the playoffs to get to the SB. However, everyone's end goal should be the Lombardi trophy. Period.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  15. #270

    Re: Black Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    True but some people also praise coming close as if it's the goal. Andy Reid just got fired after 14 years with the Eagles. 10 years from now will that be remembered as the golden era of Eagles football because it shouldn't be. We shouldn't be satisfied with a Reid Eagles like level of success.

    From 2009-2011 we've had more talent and better balance than any other time in Ravens history. We've been to the playoffs 5 straight years but it's nothing compared to what that 2000 team with almost no offense was able to accomplish. That is what this franchise is really about. We should cheapen that with over excitement about making the playoffs or winning the AFC North.
    I agree.

    This franchise has won a SB. From that point forward that should always be the standard. The people in DC are losing their minds because the Slurs won their first division title in 14 years. The Ravens are superior in every way and should be aiming to win it all especially when you have a division rival whose been to 3 SB's in the past 7 years and won 2.

    Denny Green's Vikings team made it to the playoffs 8 out of 9 years during his tenure and no one remembers anything about them other than they lost in NFC title game on their home field to an average Falcons team.

    The Ravens are better than that but guys like Flacco and Ray Rice have to play with a sense of desperation in order to get over that hump.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland