Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
I can't be arsed to go look through all these threads and pull out examples for you. All I know is, some people around here think a Schaub-type contract is FAR too little, whereas I think it's the baseline. YMMV.
That's fine.

You're putting words in my mouth. Never have I said that Flacco does not contribute at all to the success of the Ravens. I just believe that the proportion which he contributes is decidedly smaller than some others around here seem to believe. Some seem to think he's entirely responsible by himself for the team's success. I beg to differ.

No, I'm not putting words in your mouth. You've blamed Flacco for losses. That you give him some small credit for wins isn't exactly at the same level as blaming him for the losses. Those wins and losses, in truth, were on the team as a whole. Flacco doesn't throw to himself. He doesn't block for himself. He's not lead-blocking for Rice, Pierce, or Leach. He's not playing defense. In every game the Ravens have played, the entire team was part of the outcome. The loss to the Redskins was certainly hurt by his turnovers, but if Reed and Johnson play their position instead of gambling on a big play, we still win.

I don't play fantasy football... so in answer to your question, no. Well, irrespective of anything else, if Flacco outplayed Brady in the AFCCG by some twisted logic that I can't fathom, then I fail to see how Charlie Batch didn't outplay him while not only posting a better passer rating but also winning the game. Since I did watch the game, and therefore watched Flacco throw a ridiculous pick that he should have thrown OOB, and also watched him hold onto a ball far too long while Harrison was coming, and I just KNEW what was going to happen next... yeah. I doubt you watched the game if you thought Flacco played better.
Sure, you knew what was going to happen. Where were the receivers? What the was play called? Did he have anyone to throw it to?

This would be the same QB who has been criticized for getting "happy feet," a "deer in the headlights" look, throwing it away too quickly, and checking down to Rice too often. Christ, there were even idiots criticizing him for checking down to Rice on the 4th and 29 when no one else was open.

He's been operating under a playcalling schema that on nearly every pass play only has routes that take time to develop. The receivers, with the exception of Boldin, aren't great route-runners, and it's not like the offensive coaching made it a priority to improve that (or so it looks on the field). If he doesn't hold onto the football, he never makes a completion this year. When you watch the games- as you say you do (or, at least, did- let me not put words in your mouth)- have you seen that?

If so, what's your criticism again?

Upthread someone laid out the analysis comparing Flacco to Brady in that game- the passes with Ample Time and Space (ATS), completion percentage, etc. As far as what both of them could control, Flacco played better than Brady. He performed better under a heavier pass rush. Brady made a beautiful pass to Webb, for instance. He threw another pick as well. That Tom Brady sucked isn't just my opinion, it was his. Flacco, OTOH, was 22 of 36 for 306 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. As far as *his* end of the passing went, he threw three touchdowns. Lee Evans begged to differ.

It was probably the best postseason performance of his career, and he didn't despite Wilfork abusing the middle of his o-line the entire game.

As for Batch: watch that fourth quarter. Batch has ample time and wide-open receivers to hit. On the sack-fumble, there's no one open. Rice is cutting across in front of the linebackers, and every receiver is covered while Flacco looks downfield. Harrison blew up Oher on that play: it's not like Flacco held it an unusual amount of time.

The score could have been worse. Batch overthrew a wide-open Wallace in the end zone, and underthrew another receiver (maybe Wallace again) that Reed picked off.

Batch outplayed Flacco only by a standard you obviously only use to denigrate Flacco.