Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 155

Thread: Joe 'Manned Up'

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'



    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    In other words, literally everyone but Joe.

    Got it.

    Leach, Haloti92, et al.... This is the tripe we're talking about. This is who we are talking about when we say that there are some posters who will literally give credit to everyone but Joe up to and including WILLIS MOTHER FUCKING MCGAHEE ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!?

    Jesus... I feel dumber just for having read it.


    This shit goes back to the first and second page. You had guys literally arguing the exact opposite. Team wins, but Joe losses.

    Some folks are just ridiculous in whatever bias they may have, don't let it get to ya.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  2. #92

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    In other words, literally everyone but Joe.

    Got it.

    Leach, Haloti92, et al.... This is the tripe we're talking about. This is who we are talking about when we say that there are some posters who will literally give credit to everyone but Joe up to and including WILLIS MOTHER FUCKING MCGAHEE ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!?

    Jesus... I feel dumber just for having read it.
    Don't you have an ignore list? WTF are you doing, engaging in this argument?

    /sheesh
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Mass, via Holabird Ave.
    Posts
    997
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    In other words, literally everyone but Joe.

    Got it.

    Leach, Haloti92, et al.... This is the tripe we're talking about. This is who we are talking about when we say that there are some posters who will literally

    give credit to everyone but Joe up to and including WILLIS MOTHER FUCKING MCGAHEE ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!?

    Jesus... I feel dumber just for having read it.
    Seriously ASB, I give Joe all of the credit deserved when deserved. The Ravens are lucky to have him when he's on, and no one is better when he's on. But what do the Ravens do when he's not? And we've all seen him when he's not.
    PS, the Willis Magahee props goes back to that long run with a stiff arm, forgot who agaisnt, but it was a thing a beauty I'll always remember.




  4. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    PS, the Willis Magahee props goes back to that long run with a stiff arm, forgot who agaisnt, but it was a thing a beauty I'll always remember.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Mass, via Holabird Ave.
    Posts
    997
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Thanks!!!!!!




  6. #96

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    In other words, literally everyone but Joe.

    Got it.

    Leach, Haloti92, et al.... This is the tripe we're talking about. This is who we are talking about when we say that there are some posters who will literally give credit to everyone but Joe up to and including WILLIS MOTHER FUCKING MCGAHEE ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!?

    Jesus... I feel dumber just for having read it.
    I don't think he is giving credit "to everyone but Joe." He seems to be mentioning simply that we have had some good players on the team who contributed greatly to the wins. These discussions are ALWAYS about how much Joe contributes, not whether or not he contributes, when we are talking about the wins.

    That exchange started when you brought up the Ravens record and asked whether Joe deserved "credit" for them. That question can be interpreted many ways. Any credit? Some credit? All credit? etc. I seriously doubt DonMass would argue Joe has not had any good games in those 54 wins where one would give the lion's share of "credit" for the win to Joe. The issue is not about whether Joe has contributed to wins, because every non-winless QB has contributed something to some win. The issue is how much he has contributed to those 54 wins. That is ALWAYS the question. Some people think random, average, NFL QB XYZ would have won 50 games vs 54 had they been here for that time. Some others think 34 vs 54.

    No one can "win" the argument, but too often people use fallacies while trying to support their point. One is pretending that a person who argues that others contributed to the wins means the person is arguing that Joe contributed nothing to the wins. The floor is not "nothing," the floor is better described as "nothing special," even if that is also subjective and open to debate.

    And I could easily put up examples of my mirror image response if we are going to misconstrue people's arguments. I can find plenty of examples where people appear to argue that Joe's poor statistical performances can be fully explained by: dropped passes, poor protection, terrible OC, etc, without ever listing Joe as responsible in any way (similar to Don's list above). These responses usually come on the heels of someone else claiming Joe deserves blame for a loss (similar to your claim that Joe deserves "credit" for the wins).

    In short, I don't think Don is saying what you are implying he is saying when he posts that list/response to your statement.




  7. #97

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Again, someone please explain to me what the metric is for a QB outplaying his opponent while losing the game.
    It's both.

    Wins AND stats.

    So, if a QB is lacking in one or the other, then you analyze why.

    With Flacco, he has the wins, but his stats have been 'meh'

    And the consensus by the majority of Ravens fans and media experts (the experts who actually do know about QBs) is that Flacco's stats have been mediocre because of:

    1) Cam Cameron/scheme/play-calling/lack of timely proper adjustments/etc.
    2) The O-Line when the starters get hurt (which unfortunately has happened 3 seasons now)
    3) Flacco and the receivers both not being consistent enough (basically a tie here)

    In that order.
    So, the consensus among us "Flacco lovers" has been, get rid of Cam (done...YES!) and add more/better depth to the O-line...because Mark LeVoir, Bryan Mattison, Oneil Freakin' Cousins, and ready-to-retire Andre Gurode & Bobby Williams, ain't going to get the job done--they're not even replacement level backups.

    And then we can all finally make a more accurate assessment of both Joe and the receiving corps.




  8. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Mass, via Holabird Ave.
    Posts
    997
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Thank you. Well said.
    I like Joe Flacco, however his mistakes have led to measurable consequences.
    Winning and losing are team efforts; I never said otherwise. Joe has turned the ball over, especially in momentum changing situations, when all he had to do was nothing other than not make a mistake, Denver on the 4 yard line a perfect example.




  9. #99

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    It's both.

    Wins AND stats.

    So, if a QB is lacking in one or the other, then you analyze why.

    With Flacco, he has the wins, but his stats have been 'meh'

    And the consensus by the majority of Ravens fans and media experts (the experts who actually do know about QBs) is that Flacco's stats have been mediocre because of:

    1) Cam Cameron/scheme/play-calling/lack of timely proper adjustments/etc.
    2) The O-Line when the starters get hurt (which unfortunately has happened 3 seasons now)
    3) Flacco and the receivers both not being consistent enough (basically a tie here)

    In that order.
    So, the consensus among us "Flacco lovers" has been, get rid of Cam (done...YES!) and add more/better depth to the O-line...because Mark LeVoir, Bryan Mattison, Oneil Freakin' Cousins, and ready-to-retire Andre Gurode & Bobby Williams, ain't going to get the job done--they're not even replacement level backups.

    And then we can all finally make a more accurate assessment of both Joe and the receiving corps.
    That doesn't really answer my question, which was, for an individual game, how do you quantify how a losing QB outplayed the winning one in defeat? Because that's at the root of what I believe is the incorrect belief that Flacco outplayed Brady in the AFCCG.

    For the rest... okay. You well may be correct. We'll probably see starting next year. For the sake of the Ravens, and their chances to keep up winning ways and playoff runs, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and that you (and the other "lovers") are right.




  10. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Thank you. Well said.
    I like Joe Flacco, however his mistakes have led to measurable consequences.
    Winning and losing are team efforts; I never said otherwise. Joe has turned the ball over, especially in momentum changing situations, when all he had to do was nothing other than not make a mistake, Denver on the 4 yard line a perfect example.
    In his career Joe has never had a season with more than 12 picks, to claim that "Joe has turned the ball over" as if he's doing it at a rate that meets or even exceeds the average, is simply wrong.

    Joe has 109 TDs, 56 picks, and 18 lost fumbles. Meaning he has 1.45 scores for every turnover.

    Matt Ryan has 131 TDs, plus 80 picks, and 11 lost fumbles. 1.43 scores per turnover.

    Ben Roethlisberger has 202 TDs, plus 108 picks, and 29 lost fumbles. 1.47 scores per turnover.

    If you think Joe is turning the ball over more than other QBs, you're wrong. If you think he's scoring less points per turnover, you're wrong. If you think he's winning fewer games, you're wrong.

    Basically everything you've said about Joe has been inaccurate, or grossly exaggerated.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  11. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    That doesn't really answer my question, which was, for an individual game, how do you quantify how a losing QB outplayed the winning one in defeat? Because that's at the root of what I believe is the incorrect belief that Flacco outplayed Brady in the AFCCG.

    For the rest... okay. You well may be correct. We'll probably see starting next year. For the sake of the Ravens, and their chances to keep up winning ways and playoff runs, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and that you (and the other "lovers") are right.
    QB A throws for 400 yards, 3 TDs, no picks.

    QB B throws for 183 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 picks.

    Final score- QB A's team scores 21, QB B's teams scores 28.

    Which QB played better?

    Was that fucking hard to figure out?

    Now narrow the performance gap and you have Joe vs. Brady. Joe scored more TDs, had more yards, and fewer turnovers. Thus he played better than Brady. Brady's team won however, because there are more than just two guys on the field at once.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  12. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    QB A throws for 400 yards, 3 TDs, no picks.

    QB B throws for 183 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 picks.

    Final score- QB A's team scores 21, QB B's teams scores 28.

    Which QB played better?

    Was that fucking hard to figure out?

    Now narrow the performance gap and you have Joe vs. Brady. Joe scored more TDs, had more yards, and fewer turnovers. Thus he played better than Brady. Brady's team won however, because there are more than just two guys on the field at once.
    So, you are basing your opinion of a QB based on stats, and not wins and losses? I generally agree with that approach. Keep in mind that Flacco ranks anywhere between 14 and 23 among QBs in the league based on the stats that QBs are judged by.




  13. #103

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Ben R. - 8 yr, 102 million signed in 08
    Eli Manning - 7 yr, 106 million signed in 09
    Phillip Rivers - 7 yr, 98 million signed in 09

    Joe and Matt have had a very similar career to each of these QB's up to the point of them signing these contracts. These were all signed 3-4 years ago. [B]They are not being overpaid, they will be getting what the market dictates.[/B]
    But are they manly men on pay day, with a firm handshake and a look straight in the eye? That's more what OP was lauding Joe for: taking responsibility for a 3 game brain-fart by the offense and not pointing fingers/making excuses. Then delivering the goods vs. NYG. But do carry on everyone. The thread is most entertaining!!




  14. #104

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    QB A throws for 400 yards, 3 TDs, no picks.

    QB B throws for 183 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 picks.

    Final score- QB A's team scores 21, QB B's teams scores 28.

    Which QB played better?

    Was that fucking hard to figure out?

    Now narrow the performance gap and you have Joe vs. Brady. Joe scored more TDs, had more yards, and fewer turnovers. Thus he played better than Brady. Brady's team won however, because there are more than just two guys on the field at once.
    Haha--okay. Find me a statline from a REAL game in which that happened (and none of the winning team's scores were from defense/special teams), and I'll buy it.

    Else, again, Brady got 23 points out of his offense, and Flacco got 20 points out of his. Brady also managed to get his offense to score those points against the best pass defense in the league last year (by defensive passer rating), while Flacco got his offense to score those points against the 21st pass defense in the league (again by defensive passer rating).

    More yards by Flacco? Sure, against what was certainly the easier defense to pass against. More TDs? Sure--though it's worth noting that the Ravens allowed only 11 passing TDs last year, by FAR the fewest in the league (the Jets and Steelers were second, allowing 15 each--in other words, 36% more). It actually is very impressive that Flacco didn't throw any picks--the Pats were tied for second in the league last year in interceptions--but that's literally the ONLY thing they were any good at in terms of pass defense.

    Bottom line is, Brady had a much tougher job that day than Flacco did, and while it wasn't pretty by any means, he did enough to win. Which is why his team won, and also why arguing about whether or not he was outplayed is sour grapes at best and delusional at worst.




  15. #105

    Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    So, you are basing your opinion of a QB based on stats, and not wins and losses? I generally agree with that approach. Keep in mind that Flacco ranks anywhere between 14 and 23 among QBs in the league based on the stats that QBs are judged by.
    Statistics are nothing more than an attempt to describe real world events with symbols that are easily manipulated and digested. Statistics are most useful when you're talking about a large sample or a broad swath of events.

    Instead of being reliant on them to describe a single game, why not just watch the game? How many good throws did Flacco make? How many bad throws did Flacco make? How many "action plays" did he contribute to moving the ball, scoring, and protecting that score?

    Then compare his "positive action plays" with Brady's "positive action plays." Flacco had more of them--more good throws, less bad throws, etc. All you have to do is watch the game to figure that out.

    The thing is, when a player makes a lot of good plays, his contribution increases the team's chance of winning--and that's what it's all about in the end. But you can't just jump straight to "did the team win or lose" because he's not the only player whose performance affects the win/loss probability. We have to isolate how much a given player and his subset of plays affects that probability. Most typical statistics like passer rating and ESPN's QBR make no attempt to evaluate game action based on how much it actually contributes to the percentage of winning.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland