Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Might see Webb moved to FS- dont be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Usually yes, but the Ravens are in a unique situation. Webb would be a fantastic Safety. Webb has torn his ACL twice in 4 years. I'm not sure playing Webb at CB is in the clubs or his best interest. Especially with the amount of corners the Ravens have. Next year, I would love to see a healthy 100% Webb at CB and Reed back, but injuries and the cap might prevent that. I remember Webb talking about recovering from his ACL tear and said it took him 2 years to feel right and confident in it. This happening a second time will make it even more difficult mentally.
    Last time I think he tore it later in the season? The only thing I could find was this:

"The good news is that Webb is on pace to return to the team perhaps as early as offseason workouts in May or June."
    Way Down South in New Orleans

iggyman555 Guest

asa Jackson

The way they flip tackles, I could see it for one year if Webb isn't at full speed.

Ugh... This ridiculous idea seems to get floated every few weeks and no matter how thoroughly it gets shot down, it rises again.

I especially love the thought process on this one. Webb has fragile knees so we should move him to a position where he'll have to plant and turn nearly as much, AND would have to step up in run support significantly more and expose said knees to cut blocks from tight ends and full backs. Good plan.

Maybe while we're at it we can move Boldin to QB... Ya know, since he played there in college.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Ugh... This ridiculous idea seems to get floated every few weeks and no matter how thoroughly it gets shot down, it rises again.

I especially love the thought process on this one. Webb has fragile knees so we should move him to a position where he'll have to plant and turn nearly as much, AND would have to step up in run support significantly more and expose said knees to cut blocks from tight ends and full backs. Good plan.

Maybe while we're at it we can move Boldin to QB... Ya know, since he played there in college.
    I don't see anyone on the roster who could take Reed's spot right now. It's certainly not Webb. Maybe they can convert Jimmy Smith since he can't cover one-on-one for shit. On second thought, scratch that.. He peeks into the backfield and gets burnt too much as it is. Picture all the long bomb TD's we'd give up if he did that playing FS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I don't see anyone on the roster who could take Reed's spot right now. It's certainly not Webb. Maybe they can convert Jimmy Smith since he can't cover one-on-one for shit. On second thought, scratch that.. He peeks into the backfield and gets burnt too much as it is. Picture all the long bomb TD's we'd give up if he did that playing FS!
    When Reed went down we got solid performance out of Zbikowski. I have no doubt that we will be able to field a solid safety tandem with Pollard, our CBs healthy (including Jimmy who I think has a very undeserved reputation on this board) and a healthy pass rush (in the form of a healthy Suggs and either Kruger or a developing Upshaw, Ed WAS a superstar once, but frankly he's playing on reputation and finding someone who can emulate what he currently does, and possibly be better at some things (see tackling and playing one's assignment) won't be exceedingly taxing I think.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Why do people assume that moving a CB to safety solves a "problem." We've been spoiled by abnormal safety play by Ed Reed for the past 10 years. But, the reality is that it's the CB's job to shut down the passing game and make plays, and the safety's job to be there as a back-up is things break down. Moving a player from CB to safety is like moving a tackle to guard, or like moving a home-run threat #1 WR to the slot. If you want to talk baseball, it's like moving a slugger from clean-up to #8 in the order. You usually want your best in the secondary to be at cornerback shutting down top WR's (assuming that would be their natural position). Players like Ed Reed and Hairbair are once in a generation.