Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Next week's game - Playoff implications (Merged Threads)

As I understand it, if we win next week and New England loses, we can still be the third seed, below Houston and Denver?

Do the Bengals have anything to play for? Can their wildcard seeding be improved or worsened?
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Re: Bengals Next Week (Playoff Implications)

Meaningless game for the Bengals. They're locked into the #6 seed even if they win and Indy loses because of losing the common opponents tiebreaker.

And yeah, it's not impossible for us to win the #3 seed. If we win and New England loses, we get the #3 seed and have to play Cincy at home.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Meaningless game for the Bengals. They're locked into the #6 seed even if they win and Indy loses because of losing the common opponents tiebreaker.

And yeah, it's not impossible for us to win the #3 seed. If we win and New England loses, we get the #3 seed and have to play Cincy at home.
    Thank you for clarifying this.

It'll be VERY interesting to see how Marvin Lewis treats that game. On the one hand, he'd love to beat us. On the other hand, he'd be excoriated if he caused an injury to an important player in a meaningless game.

Blog Entries

I think the Ravens are better off as the 4th seed. I'd rather play Indy than Cincy in Round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I think the Ravens are better off as the 4th seed. I'd rather play Indy than Cincy in Round 1.
    Agreed. And the Texans in the 2nd Rd instead of Denver at Milehigh.

Thinking beyond that though. Rather be 3 seed and face probable 2 seed Denver in Denver after a week off. Then if NE beats Houston @ Houston very possible then you HOST AFFCG. Either way you are going to have to likley play @ Denver sooner or later. Being a 3 seed gives you a much better advantage at getting 2 home games.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Thinking beyond that though. Rather be 3 seed and face probable 2 seed Denver in Denver after a week off. Then if NE beats Houston @ Houston very possible then you HOST AFFCG. Either way you are going to have to likley play @ Denver sooner or later. Being a 3 seed gives you a much better advantage at getting 2 home games.
    Ya know...that's an excellent point. I was in the prefer-the-4-seed camp, but you've given me reason to reconsider that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    The best way for the Ravens to advance in the playoffs is to get as many players as healthy as they can. For them to do that, they need to rest any injured players next week. If they win that game with back-ups then fine, but they should rest a bunch of players against Cincy.

And herein lies the great debate. Do we rest starters for a more significant playoff push? Or do we play the damn game like it's any other Sunday and try to win? (Despite the fact it's unlikely Miami can beat NE in NE?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    And herein lies the great debate. Do we rest starters for a more significant playoff push? Or do we play the damn game like it's any other Sunday and try to win? (Despite the fact it's unlikely Miami can beat NE in NE?)
    This team needs work. I wouldn't rest anyone whose healthy. It's time to get on a roll and put the wins together. They can't just turn it on when they need it.

The best way for the Ravens to advance in the playoffs is to get as many players as healthy as they can. For them to do that, they need to rest any injured players next week. If they win that game with back-ups then fine, but they should rest a bunch of players against Cincy.
    I am squarely in this camp. To get to the big dance you're gonna have to beat at least 2 very good football teams. I say get as many healthy as possible and give the starters some rest.The odds of getting that second home game is not in our favor.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

How's this for parity...

The Patriots could lose next week along with a Ravens win, and be the #4 seed.
    OTOH, If the Pats win, couple with Houston and Denver losses, they would be the #1 seed.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!