Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Will Reed get suspended? I suspect so

Quote Originally Posted by Bufflehead View Post
    Anyone see the hit to Heath Miller's knees in the Cincy game? The DB took his knees out right over the middle of the field. Miller got up and yelled at the guy and the DB just put his hands up like 'What t he F do you expect me to do, I can't hit you high.' Miller was lucky to avoid a serious knee injury.
    He wasn't that lucky. Miller tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL on that play, and he underwent surgery yesterday to repair all three.

It was an inevitable injury, since as you said, it's becoming the only place where a DB can safely hit a receiver anymore. It's just too bad it didn't happen to a higher profile player - not that I'm wishing injury on anyone, but if this had happened to, say, Gronkowski, we'd be having a week-long national discussion about whether these rule changes were doing more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by grandraven View Post
    I believe the NFL is trying to get the money they wanted in the new Cba with all the fines.
    All fine money is donated to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    He wasn't that lucky. Miller tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL on that play, and he underwent surgery yesterday to repair all three.

It was an inevitable injury, since as you said, it's becoming the only place where a DB can safely hit a receiver anymore. It's just too bad it didn't happen to a higher profile player - not that I'm wishing injury on anyone, but if this had happened to, say, Gronkowski, we'd be having a week-long national discussion about whether these rule changes were doing more harm than good.
    Ugh, sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Any idea what charity or charities?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post

NFL Player Care Foundation and NFLPA Players Assistance Trust. Not exactly St. Judes IMO.

Blog Entries

It's only a matter of time before it'll be a high profile guy getting his knees cracked. Did you see the hit in the Seahawks/Niners game on Vernon Davis that was flagged? Textbook

They're telling the officials that if there is any doubt, throw the flag.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    NFL Player Care Foundation and NFLPA Players Assistance Trust. Not exactly St. Judes IMO.
    Those are two of the charities, not the ONLY two.

They also donate to Shriner's Hospital and The United Way via NFL Charities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's only a matter of time before it'll be a high profile guy getting his knees cracked. Did you see the hit in the Seahawks/Niners game on Vernon Davis that was flagged? Textbook

They're telling the officials that if there is any doubt, throw the flag.

The problem with this hit is Davis didn't have a chance to protect himself.

I understand Chancellors job is to do what he did and separate Davis and the football. But Davis got knocked out of the game and obviously at the very least was punk drunk, but more likely was concussed.

I agree with the flag. I think with the way the game has changed, you have to allow receivers to protect themselves. People can bitch all they want about turning it into flag football, but I haven't heard people bitch when UFC went from just "no eye-gouging, fish hooks or nut punches" to, can't knee a guy in the head when he's on the ground, not hitting in the back of the head etc. MMA is more popular no than ever.

The game has become more of a passing league with the field more spread out and more open for guys to run full speed. Now that guys are bigger, faster and stronger than ever before, the NFL has to take the necessary steps to protect guys from their brains turning to mush from hits which are equivalent to 15 -20 car accidents.

I just wish instead of trying to do it slowly and put band-aid after band-aid on the problem, the league would come out and change this all at once.

Unfortunately you are right regarding the Gronkowski scenario. Sucks for Miller too. They are already talking PUP for him entering next season.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's interesting. I've heard that these fines are tax deductible. I know that typically fines are not considered tax deductible, but I always assumed that this was because the NFL just considered them a reduction of compensation, but maybe it was more to do with it being tied to a charitable donation? I still think that the tax treatment has to do with it being a reduction of income received.

But, if I were an NFL player, I'd vow to match every dollar I was fined with a donation to a charitable organization of some kind. Maybe even a brain trauma research center. It wouldn't cost much to them, and it would show that you were sorry for what you did, and trying to work on improving your game. That might keep the zebras off of them on borderline calls.

It's tax deductible because it's a donation to charity.

The NFL would just introduce a Gronkowski rule to go along with all the Brady rules.