Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Will Reed get suspended? I suspect so

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Qadry Ismail was going nuts on the radio with Smith's block. Both were similar except one was a tackle and the other a block.
    I could not believe that call. I do not know how in the hell the official could call that a blind side block when Torrey hit him square in the chest right between the numbers. Sorry man but when you are running downfield you need to keep your head on a swivel.

Blog Entries

How was Smith's block a penalty? He hit him in the chest with his shoulder. He got his body in front of the defender before blocking him. That's not a blindside hit.

Maybe it's time to change the rule on head shots and put it on the receiver when they lower their own head into an otherwise legal tackle.
    Last edited by YorkRavensFan; 12-24-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    How was Smith's block a penalty? He hit him in the chest with his shoulder. He got his body in front of the defender before blocking him. That's not a blindside hit.
    He lined up two yards outside the end and hit a defender who was moving parallel to the line of scrimmage. That makes the hit fall under the defensless player rules (as of 2012 rule change). As for whether it violated the requirements of a legal hit on a "defenseless" player, that is another question. Smith hit with his shoulder for sure, but it was in the guy's upper chest, so it doesn't surprise me the refs threw the flag. They expect/want the hitter to come in bent, not upright, and hit near the waist, not sternum or above. They also, whether they admit it or not, probably want the player to come in with restraint (though the rule doesn't really get into the amount of force).

From my viewpoint, the refs absolutely stunk up the field and it became very noticeable how bias they were.
    The overturned TD was ridiculous. The flags on Torrey's block as well as Reed's hit were bogus.

Jones catches the ball facing away from the goalline, has both hands wrapped around the ball, while his feet are on the ground, he did not leap up to catch the ball, so he doesn't need to come to the ground with it, by rule. He takes 2 steps and turns and reaches and lunges with the ball outstretched over the goalline, TD! End of play.

The Giant defender, who I believe was a linebacker gets outside of Torrey who was downfield. The linebacker completely turns around, Torrey, who is now downfield past the linebacker, turns and goes towards the sideline. The linebacker sees the play going around him and up the sideline is taking a pursuit angle turns around and downfield and gets hit square in the chest by Torrey who is downfield and running towards the sideline. BS call.

Ed comes from his safety position on a sideline pass where Cruz turns around catches the ball and Ed turns to avoid the helmet hit and uses his shoulder and aims to hit the ball loose BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT A DB IS SUPPOSED TO DO AND PAID TO DO. How is a defender supposed to play at that speed????!!! IF Ed has to bend over and hit him in the waist, then they might as well change the name of the game to something else because that's not football, and put asterisks next to EVERY passing record that has fallen since last year. I want to see someone make that play bent over. When you are running at the high speed of these football players today, if you lower your head to hit someone in the waist, you get your neck broke or the player leaps over your head LIKE LAST WEEK. Who remembers that?
    The guys are taught from little league up to NOT lower their head, especially at the waist level because you lose sight of the player and they can make a move and leave you clutching at air. You won't be playing long at any level if you do that.

These flags that are thrown at the absolute fundamentals of the game are ridiculous. When players that have played their entire career since they were 8 years old, the way football was taught, are being asked to change what has become imprinted as second nature, it is virtually impossible. It is like being asked to write with your other hand AND keep up with the others. You can see that Ed turns his head away to avoid giving a helmet hit. Doing that makes him take his eye off the receiver does it not??? Well, he has managed to change some of his natural instincts and still that is not good enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bufflehead View Post
    Anyone see the hit to Heath Miller's knees in the Cincy game? The DB took his knees out right over the middle of the field. Miller got up and yelled at the guy and the DB just put his hands up like 'What t he F do you expect me to do, I can't hit you high.' Miller was lucky to avoid a serious knee injury.
    James Harrison had a quote about that recently. He said since the league won't let him hit high he will always go for the knees since he has no other choice. I bet he didn't think that someone else would be doing that exact thing against his teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bufflehead View Post
    Anyone see the hit to Heath Miller's knees in the Cincy game? The DB took his knees out right over the middle of the field. Miller got up and yelled at the guy and the DB just put his hands up like 'What t he F do you expect me to do, I can't hit you high.' Miller was lucky to avoid a serious knee injury.
    Dunno when it occurred but Miller suffered an ACL & MCL tear........

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Suspension? It was a bad call. Worst officated game since the relacement refs at Philly. I would think that the league would prefer to just let the sleeping dog lay.
    As bad as the Ravens game officiating was - watching the SF-Seattle game I thought those refs were trying their best to out ridiculous the Ravens refs.

It is almost time to bring back the replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMadness View Post
    Dunno when it occurred but Miller suffered an ACL & MCL tear........
    From Goodells perspective - the league is not being sued by former players with knee injuries (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    From Goodells perspective - the league is not being sued by former players with knee injuries (yet).
    Although the hit on Miller by the Cincy DB looked brutal his injury occurred on a run play when one of his own players rolled up on his leg.

Blog Entries

From a financial standpoint, if they suspend him he would be smart to appeal it until the playoffs.

A suspension for the final regular-season game would cost Reed 1/17th of his regular-season salary, which equates to more than $423,000. If Reed misses a wild-card playoff game, he’d lose only $22,000.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    From a financial standpoint, if they suspend him he would be smart to appeal it until the playoffs.

And risk not having him play if he loses the appeal????? If he is suspended he needs to sit now and play when it matters. I am sure there is a way under the table he can make up for the 435K