Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The "Challenge"

Blog Entries

Re: The "Challenge"

And now the thread goes from an understandable question about why certain things weren't done on a very confusing play which the refs probably botched and did a horrible job of explaining, to "here comes the stupid!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    @LukeDaniel

The decision to not at least try a hail mary after having called time out to GET the opportunity to toss up a hail mary just made no sense to me at all. Often times Harbaugh just leaves me scratching my head and asking "Why?".
    I didn't understand why they called timeout (albeit a little late) and made them punt just to take a knee. Maybe they were hoping for a big play on the punt but that's about all I can come up with.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I didn't understand why they called timeout (albeit a little late) and made them punt just to take a knee. Maybe they were hoping for a big play on the punt but that's about all I can come up with.
    That thought crossed my mind. But they were certainly in decent enough position to at least toss up a Hail Mary and hope for a P.I. to get a field goal out of it even without a great return.

iggyman555 Guest

harbage is an idiot and a terrible game day/Xs and Os coach...that is all folks

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Mike Perreira politely said that Harbaugh is an idiot....nothing that any of us haven't already seen. Great motivator. Awful game strategist.

He made 5-6 coaching mistakes last week against Denver. In yesterday's game, he made 3 coaching mistakes in the span of the last 5 minutes of the half

1-failure to challenge the Manning fumble

2-failure to use a time out after the Ayanbadejo sack put Giants in a 2nd and 17 at their own 10 yard line with roughly 50 seconds left. The Ravens only had two left at that point, but you use one right up front to stop the clock and then you hope that the Giants either throw an incompletion or go out bounds (which Cruz did the very next play). You never know if the Giants run a passing play those 2nd and 3rd downs if the Ravens do use their 2nd time out with 50 seconds to go, but you at least have to pressure them into this decision. On 2nd and 17 from the Giant 10 yard line, the odds are MUCH stronger than you can turn that position into point than the opposition will.

3 -failure to throw a hail mary at the end of the first half when the Ravens had the ball at the 50 yard line.

These are unforgivable coaching mistakes. The failure to throw the hail mary was total laziness.

In 15 games this year, I swear Harbaugh has made at least 15 coaching mistakes with regards to clock management just in the last few minutes of the first half. After the games, he acts so disconnected from these simple coaching scenarios, and that makes me think he's in over his head in terms of understand game strategy and probabilities.
    Excellent summary. I agree with everything you said. We can all agree that Harbaugh is a very good (albeit inconsistent at times) motivator and pre-game manager. However, he is a catastrophic liability on game day because of his inability to manage the game and make good tactical decisions.

He's not the only coach that has those problems, though. Andy Reid has been derided as a bad game-day coach for a long time. Harbaugh can improve in those respects, although it seems unlikely after he cost this team a chance to tie the AFCCG last year and blew several games this year. I still hope he does.

I am far from upset about attempting a hail mary.

What he really should have done is have Jones call for a fair catch so we could have tried a free kick.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

But they didn't blow the whistle, they let it play out. I may be missing the point here
    If he didn't blow the whistle, then he must of thought it wasn't an incomplete forward pass, but a fumble. But then changes his mind at the end to declare an incomplete forward pass. If he declared it was a fumble, the automatic review would take over on the turnover, and it would be Giants ball on the recovery after the review.

Blog Entries

They didn't blow the whistle until after the ball was stripped from Upshaw, as I remember it.

Given how confused the officiating crew was, I'm not going to blame Harbaugh for holding onto the challenge flag. Those idiots would have probably wound up awarding the Giants the ball on the Ravens' 1 yard line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    They didn't blow the whistle until after the ball was stripped from Upshaw, as I remember it.

Given how confused the officiating crew was, I'm not going to blame Harbaugh for holding onto the challenge flag. Those idiots would have probably wound up awarding the Giants the ball on the Ravens' 1 yard line.
    I agree, we were going to get the ball back on the punt and who the hell knows what would've happened with a challenge. It was total confusion

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I sit in the endzone where that play happened. I have not seen the replay of the game yet, but one official was signaling an incomplete pass as soon as the ball hit the ground. I did not hear a whistle while the ball was bouncing around with all of the cheering going on. The way those guys called the game, I would not have expected that they would get it right.

There have been so many explanations about what happened, I can not figure out what they saw. If there was no clear whistle sound, they could have said "incomplete", Ravens' ball because the whistle blew as soon as Upshaw touched the ball, or the Giants' ball after Upshaw gives it up (1st and ten). Since they said that the Giants would not benefit, it then limited it to an incomplete or Ravens' ball. If Harbaugh throws the flag, they could have called it an incomplete just to say the whistle blew as soon as it hit the ground.

They were incompetent in calling the game, so nobody can tell what the blind mice would have ruled.
    Captain Offense

But they didn't blow the whistle, they let it play out. I may be missing the point here
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post

When they blew the whistle doesn't matter.

You can't review when the whistle was blown.

When they made the final ruling that it was an incomplete pass, that was it.

It was a dumb non challenge bottom line...I even think the refs were looking for Harbaugh to challenge it.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

12. Re: The "Challenge"

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I am far from upset about attempting a hail mary.

What he really should have done is have Jones call for a fair catch so we could have tried a free kick.
    I noticed during that play that there was someone on the Ravens' sideline running down the field waving his arms like a fair catch sign. I don't know if he was yelling at his guys to get down the field, or whether he was telling Jones to call a fair catch. I think Jones caught the ball around the Ravens' 40. That would be a 70 yard kick. No defenders, for sure, but I think they don't get to use a tee.