Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Challenge"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The "Challenge"

Shouldn't John Harbaugh have challenged the fumble by Manning recovered by Upshaw? Wouldn't the Ravens have been given the ball at the spot where Upshaw clearly recovered the fumble, at around the Giants 25?

Re: The "Challenge"

He should have especially after the ref saying there will b no advantage for the giants, in others words the advantage would be the ravens.

That's how I understood that

Shouldn't NY have been charged a timeout or penalized?

It was clusterf*ck by the refs, so I am not sure they would have given us the ball. In reality, the Giants should have gotten the ball first and 10, except the refs blew the ball dead. Neither Aikman nor Pereira explained the situation well, but suffice it to say there is no rule preventing the advancement of a fumble (fumble returns for TDs happen all the time).

But after the whistle blows is the issue, and I am still not sure exactly when the whistle blew. I suspect the refs would have claimed it was blowing before Upshaw picked it up just to cover their own mistake of blowing it prematurely in the first place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    It was clusterf*ck by the refs, so I am not sure they would have given us the ball. In reality, the Giants should have gotten the ball first and 10, except the refs blew the ball dead. Neither Aikman nor Pereira explained the situation well, but suffice it to say there is no rule preventing the advancement of a fumble (fumble returns for TDs happen all the time).

But after the whistle blows is the issue, and I am still not sure exactly when the whistle blew. I suspect the refs would have claimed it was blowing before Upshaw picked it up just to cover their own mistake of blowing it prematurely in the first place.
    Depends on the clock:

Fumble

The distinction between a fumble and a muff should be kept in mind in considering rules about fumbles. A fumble is the loss of player possession of the ball. A muff is the touching of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to obtain possession.
    A fumble may be advanced by any player on either team regardless of whether recovered before or after ball hits the ground.
    A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback.
    On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.
    A muffed hand-to-hand snap from center is treated as a fumble.
    http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble

Blog Entries
    If Coughlin threw the red flag, how in the hell is it ok for the refs to talk him out of it and disregard? Once it's thrown that should be it

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If Coughlin threw the red flag, how in the hell is it ok for the refs to talk him out of it and disregard? Once it's thrown that should be it
    Because the refs realized they had f*cked up and were in "nothing to see here" mode. I really am not sure what the rule says regarding premature whistle being blown, but that is what made the play an issue. Without a premature whistle it would have been Giants ball 1st and 10 after Upshaw's fumble.

Because the refs realized they had f*cked up and were in "nothing to see here" mode. I really am not sure what the rule says regarding premature whistle being blown, but that is what made the play an issue. Without a premature whistle it would have been Giants ball 1st and 10 after Upshaw's fumble.
    Not according to mike pereira. He said upshaw can't advance that fumble and therefore his fumble ceases to exist. 1st and 10 for us.

But why couldn't it be advanced?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Not according to mike pereira. He said upshaw can't advance that fumble and therefore his fumble ceases to exist. 1st and 10 for us
    Yeah, Pereira did not explain why. And the only possible reason is (and I am still trying to find the exact language of the rule) that the ref blew the whistle after the fumble. It used to be that after the whistle blew no one could recover, but a few years ago I am pretty sure they changed it so that a team could still recover (but I suspect not advance) a fumble after an inadvertent/premature whistle. As I said, standard fumbles can be advanced, it happens all the time obviously.

Yeah, Pereira did not explain why. And the only possible reason is (and I am still trying to find the exact language of the rule) that the ref blew the whistle after the fumble. It used to be that after the whistle blew no one could recover, but a few years ago I am pretty sure they changed it so that a team could still recover (but I suspect not advance) a fumble after an inadvertent/premature whistle. As I said, standard fumbles can be advanced, it happens all the time obviously.
    i had no idea why he said that you see strip sacks being returned for tds almost weekly. But harbaugh should then have challenged once he said there would be no advantage to the giants.

Here's the applicable section, from the NFL rulebook:

Section #9: Instant Replay
    Reviewable Plays, paragraph c), Other reviewable plays:

1. Runner ruled not down by defensive contact.
    2. Runner ruled down by defensive contact when the recovery of a fumble by an opponent or a
    teammate occurs in the action that happens following the fumble.
    3. Ruling of incomplete pass when the recovery of a passer’s fumble by an opponent or a teammate
    occurs in the action following the fumble.

4. Ruling of a loose ball out of bounds when it is recovered in the field of play by an opponent or a
    teammate in the action after the ball hits the ground.

Note 1: If the ruling of down by contact or incomplete pass is changed, the ball belongs to the recovering
    player at the spot of the recovery of the fumble, and any advance is nullified.

The reason for this is: The NFL wants players to stop playing when the whistle blows, but doesn't want to punish a team that clearly would have recovered a fumble if the Ref hadn't screwed up the call.

It must be CLEAR that the player would have recovered the ball if the correct call (i.e: fumble, not incomplete pass) had been made on the field, and then the play is dead at that point, with the recovering player not allowed to advance the ball.

So yea, Harbaugh should have challanged.

ETA: I'm working off the 2011 NFL rulebook: If someone has the 2012 version, please let me know

http://www.blogandtackle.net/wp-cont...FLRuleBook.pdf
    Last edited by MarkS; 12-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think he relies on someone upstairs to tell him when to challenge.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!