Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: That was a touchdown

This crew today was at least as bad as any of the replacement crews, and maybe worse.

It was a catastrophic mistake by the officials. He caught the ball outside the end zone, then made a second action to extend the ball over the goal line; at the instant the ball crosses the plane, it's a touchdown and the play is over.

The exact same play happened in the 2009 SB, actually that play wasn't even quite as clear, but Lance Moore caught the ball in the air outside the end zone and extended over the goal line for a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    This crew today was at least as bad as any of the replacement crews, and maybe worse.
    I don't know how the NFL/Ref Union agreement was finally settled, but the last NFL offer I saw provided for placing bad officiating crews in the doghouse. This crew would have clearly qualified. They were horrible! The replacements were indeed at least not as bad, if not better
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    I was on the road when that TD was (not) scored so I didn't see it--but what really pissed me off was that call on Torrey for his block on Dickson's 18-yard gain. Hit him in the chest with his shoulder--perrfectly executed block by a WR. If that's a penalty, this ain't football no more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Kind of reminds me of Gresham's no TD vs us last year. Only difference is that I think Gresham was still bobbling the ball as he was going to the end zone which brought control all the way to the ground into play.
    Gresham caught it right on the goal line, and was getting tackled as he went into the end zone. That's why the "maintain control through the play" rule applied. He hadn't made a football move after catching the ball (except for being hit by a defender).

Jones caught the ball, turned, and stretched the ball into the end zone. That second part meant he'd maintained control all the way through the catch.

These guys were worse than the scabs: at least those guys had an excuse not to know the rules.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I was on the road when that TD was (not) scored so I didn't see it--but what really pissed me off was that call on Torrey for his block on Dickson's 18-yard gain. Hit him in the chest with his shoulder--perrfectly executed block by a WR. If that's a penalty, this ain't football no more.
    The litany of crap calls in the game is looooong.

That was a textbook block .

Re-watching the TD now. What an absolute BS reversal of a TD.

Jones clearly had possession of the football and then broke the plane. Once the plane is broken, there is NO need for an additional, 'football move'.

Very similar to the Saints/Colts SB a few years back, on a 2pt conversion. Can't remember the Saints player, but he maintained possession, broke the plane and then the ball was knocked out of his hands. Was initially ruled incomplete but then reversed as a good catch.

In both cases, the player broke the plane while maintaining possession. That's it.
    Last edited by MD Boy; 12-24-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Extending the ball through the plane is the "football move." If he catches the ball on the goal line and gets tackled into it, he needs to hold onto the ball through the catch (all the way to the ground). Jones reaches out with the football, so the Johnson Rule wasn't really relevant.

Rewatched the play again on TV. The thing is if Jones even touches the ball to the pylon they call that a TD. He goes much further than the pylon to the turf with it. HOW THEY CAN THEY REVERSE THE CALL ON THE FEILD IS BEYOND ME. EVEN IF A SHIMMER OF DOUBT THE CALL ON THE FEILD STANDS. The Refs blew this call is 2 major ways. The replacement refs rarely reversed the call on the feild unless it was 100% obvious and thats what the RULE IS FOR. Not re-officiating a call over again.

10. Re: That was a touchdown

Maybe the replay official knew that the guy who's neck and neck with him in their fantasy football league has either Flacco and/or Jacoby on his team?

iggyman555 Guest

What up with that?!

how was the Jacoby Jones TD not a TD...he caught the ball then turned up field and the ball crossed the goal line..

WHAT UP WITH THAT?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...cular/1427023/

Re: What up with that?!

Oooooooooohhhh Whhheeeeeeee!!!!!