Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Ray Rice?

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    What's there to laugh about here? The OP is entertaining a notion that does have merit ....
    Here's where I stopped reading.

No, it doesn't have merit.

Re: Trade Ray Rice?

NOT HAPPENING UNLESS A TEAM OFFERS THEM MULTIPLE #1s

and i dont see the team putting him on the trading block making it public that he is available. They will wait and see if anyone calls but will likely turn down any trade that does not include multiple high picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The draft is definitely a crapshoot, but you do have one guarantee with a drafted player over a veteran already on your roster: Youth.

Ray Rice is only going to be 26 come 2013, but he's a pretty old 26, he'll have 1500 career touches by the end of the year probably. That's a huge amount of wear on a RB, at the rate he's going I doubt he will last his entire contract or at least playing at a high level, he may even be slowing down right now (he's definitely trending downward right now even independent of our bad OL, he's missing a lot of holes and playing very tentative right now.)

If we managed to fleece another team out of a 1st and 2nd this year we would be adding a lot of youth to a team that is struggling with age at key positions. Is the marginal value of Rice so much greater than Pierce considering age and wear? I dunno...

But the cap hit ramifications may render this discussion moot anyway, that was a factor I did not consider.
    The point you are making is a good one, it's just too much of a risk IMO.

1. We don't know if Pierce is even good enough to be an every down back. (I think he is, I've been a huge fan of his since he was at Temple, and predicted the 3rd rounder on him when the senior bowl week started). But there's a chance that I and I assume you could be wrong about that.

2. Joe Flacco needs to have a strong running game to be effective, without an effective running game he gets exposed badly (see this year).

3. We could draft a bunch of busts or mediocre players. Hell even if we draft a bunch of decent players like McPhee, Art Jones, Dennis Pitta, etc, that still doesn't come close to replacing a player like Ray Rice.

With that said, the upside of it makes it almost worth it. If we hit on those draft picks, we save a bunch of cap space, and get three or four really good players in the process.

Blog Entries
    I follow a lot of football people and I haven't seen anything about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Here's where I stopped reading.

No, it doesn't have merit.
    So, in your estimation, how many players in the NFL are so valuable that there is no way their team would ever consider trading them for two first-round picks?

So, in your estimation, how many players in the NFL are so valuable that there is no way their team would ever consider trading them for two first-round picks?
    You'd have a point if that was realistic.

Please show me one, just one, example of a teams top player getting traded a year after signing a new contract in exchange for two first round picks.

I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2013.
    the trade was two drafts ago. It was the draft just finished they lost the future years picks In.

The browns used the falcons pick on weeden

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You'd have a point if that was realistic.

Please show me one, just one, example of a teams top player getting traded a year after signing a new contract in exchange for two first round picks.

I'll wait.
    And before last year, I'd've said no team would ever be stupid enough to do what Oakland did for Palmer.

Just because something has never happened, doesn't mean that it never will. In fact, if something is possible, on a long enough timeline it is almost certain to happen.

And before last year, I'd've said no team would ever be stupid enough to do what Oakland did for Palmer.

Just because something has never happened, doesn't mean that it never will. In fact, if something is possible, on a long enough timeline it is almost certain to happen.
    This. A 1st and 2nd for a 32 year old QB who hadn't played well in 5 years... and probably wasn't even going to help them short-term, much less long term.

Meanwhile a team like Atlanta that is in prime position to win a couple Super Bowls over the next few years, but has a glaring need at RB... it's probably not all that likely, but again, there's a first time for everything.

Blog Entries
    Rice got $15 million bonus on a 5 year deal. That means that you are looking at a $12 million cap hit to trade him next season. No way the Ravens can afford that no matter what they get back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    trade him for Ricky Proehl and a brain for Caldwell
    Could you/someone fill me in on this joke regarding Ricky Proehl?

NOT!! Get a freakin' solid OL, and an OL coach who does not have his head up his you know where, and we'll do just fine. Little Ray defines what playing like a Raven is all about! Trading him is absolutely ridiculous!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton