Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48
  1. #16

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl



    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    We also never seemed to run routes that had a chance of getting YAC. We were still running the old Mason bread-and-butter plays. Mason was a heck of a receiver, but he rarely went further down the field from where he caught the ball. We saw what happened with Smith catching a short crossing route. The fact he was already moving at a good rate of speed when he caught the ball made it more difficult for the defender to get a quick tackle.
    Good point. YAC-based offenses are dominating the NFL right now. The best and most efficient offenses in the league all get a ton of YAC from short, safe passes that the defense has a hard time consistently shutting down. Once the DBs move up to start pressing and taking away the short passes, then they find a way to get deep and hit passes downfield. Then they start pressing and pulling safeties out of the box to cover over the top. Then you run the ball at them. Wash, rinse, repeat...

    Our offense has the whole "throw downfield to empty the box, then run into the empty box" thing down, but what it's lacking is the short, safe passes that get a QB in rhythm and let your athletes at WR and TE start to take over a game. Caldwell seems to be a bit better at drawing up those plays, but I think we need a radical system change more than just slight adjustments.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,125
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Good point. YAC-based offenses are dominating the NFL right now. The best and most efficient offenses in the league all get a ton of YAC from short, safe passes that the defense has a hard time consistently shutting down. Once the DBs move up to start pressing and taking away the short passes, then they find a way to get deep and hit passes downfield. Then they start pressing and pulling safeties out of the box to cover over the top. Then you run the ball at them. Wash, rinse, repeat...

    Our offense has the whole "throw downfield to empty the box, then run into the empty box" thing down, but what it's lacking is the short, safe passes that get a QB in rhythm and let your athletes at WR and TE start to take over a game. Caldwell seems to be a bit better at drawing up those plays, but I think we need a radical system change more than just slight adjustments.
    This is right on point. Here's to hoping Caldwell can move in the right direction.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    I am a huge fan of slow methodical offenses that dink and dunk and effectively run the ball. I really really like what the Patriots do for example both in the run and passing game, that's the ideal offense for me. We need a better Oline to run it, which should be achieved hopefully in the offseason.




  4. #19

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think they took a lot of deep shots just to keep the defense from loading the box. And I agree there is a place for dink/dunk but I'm not a big fan of doing it almost exclusively like what Pitt is trying to do this year. Gotta take a few shots. A big reason the Pats got back into the game against the 9ers was the interference call from deep balls
    I have to agree. Balance is needed. Deep shots keeps the D honest and allows the run game to open up. More crossing patterns are needed. Mix it up.




  5. #20

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I am a huge fan of slow methodical offenses that dink and dunk and effectively run the ball. I really really like what the Patriots do for example both in the run and passing game, that's the ideal offense for me. We need a better Oline to run it, which should be achieved hopefully in the offseason.
    A methodical offense is great when you have Tom Brady as QB. Joe is not Tom and the outcome will not be the same. Perhaps the Ravens will improve but the NE offense is what it is because of Tom and a future HOF coach. Getting rid of Grubbs was idiotic. Our OL hasn't been the same since. We don't have a guard that's worth the money they're paying them. Birk is old and Yanda is hurt. Unless the new OC figures out a way of getting the ball out of Joe's hands in 2 seconds we're toast. Can Joe deliver with that quickness? We'll see.




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    A methodical offense is great when you have Tom Brady as QB. Joe is not Tom and the outcome will not be the same. Perhaps the Ravens will improve but the NE offense is what it is because of Tom and a future HOF coach. Getting rid of Grubbs was idiotic. Our OL hasn't been the same since. We don't have a guard that's worth the money they're paying them. Birk is old and Yanda is hurt. Unless the new OC figures out a way of getting the ball out of Joe's hands in 2 seconds we're toast. Can Joe deliver with that quickness? We'll see.
    Yanda ia a great guard, and was always better than Grubbs, maybe you mean the current healthy guards?




  7. #22

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    What bothers me, is that even to my untrained eye it seems obvious every time they are going long. I am a total football noob, but it seems obvious to me as soon as the ball is snapped whether they're going long or not.




  8. #23

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yanda ia a great guard, and was always better than Grubbs, maybe you mean the current healthy guards?
    Exactly. It's not sound thinking to release a Pro Bowl player from your roster especially when you consider as many times as we hand the ball off to Rice.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Watford, England
    Posts
    1,431

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I am a huge fan of slow methodical offenses that dink and dunk and effectively run the ball. I really really like what the Patriots do for example both in the run and passing game, that's the ideal offense for me. We need a better Oline to run it, which should be achieved hopefully in the offseason.
    The other advantage is you keep the other team off the field with long drives. We are last in the NFL in average TOP (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...sion-net-of-ot). Our offense is on the field for 3:20 less per game than the 2-win Chiefs. We won't be going far giving playoff teams that kind of advantage.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Exactly. It's not sound thinking to release a Pro Bowl player from your roster especially when you consider as many times as we hand the ball off to Rice.
    He wasn't released, he was a free agent. We offered him the same deal Yanda got and he walked. Truth be told, if he'd taken that deal, I'm wondering how it would've affected our other moves this year. We barely had the space to do ANYTHING, much less retain Grubbs with that big contract.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by ctulb View Post
    The other advantage is you keep the other team off the field with long drives. We are last in the NFL in average TOP (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...sion-net-of-ot). Our offense is on the field for 3:20 less per game than the 2-win Chiefs. We won't be going far giving playoff teams that kind of advantage.


    This system needs to quite kindly, fuck off!




  12. #27

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    The problem is that Flacco is not accurate enough to make the dink and dunk offense work. I have come to realize that the reason that Cameron did not call the quick slants and crossing patterns is that Flacco doesn't make those throws well.

    He is consistently late, high and behind his receivers on the short to intermediate over the middle throws. He doesn't even throw the checkdowns to Ray Rice in a manner where Rice has some momentum as he catches the ball. How many times have we seen Ray make a one handed catch or picked a throw off his toes.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,125
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    The problem is that Flacco is not accurate enough to make the dink and dunk offense work. I have come to realize that the reason that Cameron did not call the quick slants and crossing patterns is that Flacco doesn't make those throws well.

    He is consistently late, high and behind his receivers on the short to intermediate over the middle throws. He doesn't even throw the checkdowns to Ray Rice in a manner where Rice has some momentum as he catches the ball. How many times have we seen Ray make a one handed catch or picked a throw off his toes.
    That is not accurate at all. Trying watching the film. Someone throw up Flacco's stats from his passes over the middle. I saw it before and it was over 100 qbr.




  14. #29

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    The problem is that Flacco is not accurate enough to make the dink and dunk offense work. I have come to realize that the reason that Cameron did not call the quick slants and crossing patterns is that Flacco doesn't make those throws well.

    He is consistently late, high and behind his receivers on the short to intermediate over the middle throws. He doesn't even throw the checkdowns to Ray Rice in a manner where Rice has some momentum as he catches the ball. How many times have we seen Ray make a one handed catch or picked a throw off his toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    That is not accurate at all. Trying watching the film. Someone throw up Flacco's stats from his passes over the middle. I saw it before and it was over 100 qbr.
    Yeah, accuracy overall is not one of Flacco's strengths, but he's completing 70% of his passes for a 102.6 rating in between the numbers.

    His problem is the 46.8% and 62.9 rating outside the numbers.

    His 51.1% of throws outside the numbers is also the highest percentage of passes outside the numbers in the entire NFL. Bizarre that we're attempting so many passes outside the numbers when we don't seem very good at them. Here's the numbers for a few other QBs.

    Drew Brees - 39% Tom Brady - 41% Tony Romo - 45% Matt Stafford - 41% Matt Ryan - 41% Peyton Manning - 45% Andrew Luck - 37%

    If you moved Flacco's % of attempts outside the numbers closer to the league-average of about 40% instead of 51.1%, assuming his QB rating remains constant both inside and outside the numbers, it would raise his overall QB rating substantially.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

    Quote Originally Posted by ctulb View Post
    The other advantage is you keep the other team off the field with long drives. We are last in the NFL in average TOP (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...sion-net-of-ot). Our offense is on the field for 3:20 less per game than the 2-win Chiefs. We won't be going far giving playoff teams that kind of advantage.
    Keep in mind it got worse last week without Cam. Most 3 and outs and Rice never touched the ball on 3rd down. I hope Caldwell isn't as lost as he looked last week. They have to feed Rice to get anything else going
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland