Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco as attempted the most passes over 20 yards in the nfl

I think they took a lot of deep shots just to keep the defense from loading the box. And I agree there is a place for dink/dunk but I'm not a big fan of doing it almost exclusively like what Pitt is trying to do this year. Gotta take a few shots. A big reason the Pats got back into the game against the 9ers was the interference call from deep balls

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think they took a lot of deep shots just to keep the defense from loading the box. And I agree there is a place for dink/dunk but I'm not a big fan of doing it almost exclusively like what Pitt is trying to do this year. Gotta take a few shots. A big reason the Pats got back into the game against the 9ers was the interference call from deep balls
    Herein lies the problem. We need to have a nice mix, but it seems to be one or the other. Same with the run game vs. the passing game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    This goes back to what I've been saying. It's great to take your shots, but I think they've gone overboard. And too often they force it downfield to a receiver who's covered, sometimes by two or even three guys. In that scenario, SOMEONE has GOT to be open underneath. Take the short gain. It'll probably be a 1st down anyway if they get any kind of YAC.
    I didn't see that as much with Caldwell calling the plays. For the first time this year, I didn't have a problem with the play selection when it came to passing.

Cameron kept trying to force the big plays. He kept trying to run the Coryell backwards. That might work if you have a dominant offensive line, but we haven't exactly been close to that this year.

We also never seemed to run routes that had a chance of getting YAC. We were still running the old Mason bread-and-butter plays. Mason was a heck of a receiver, but he rarely went further down the field from where he caught the ball. We saw what happened with Smith catching a short crossing route. The fact he was already moving at a good rate of speed when he caught the ball made it more difficult for the defender to get a quick tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    We also never seemed to run routes that had a chance of getting YAC. We were still running the old Mason bread-and-butter plays. Mason was a heck of a receiver, but he rarely went further down the field from where he caught the ball. We saw what happened with Smith catching a short crossing route. The fact he was already moving at a good rate of speed when he caught the ball made it more difficult for the defender to get a quick tackle.
    Good point. YAC-based offenses are dominating the NFL right now. The best and most efficient offenses in the league all get a ton of YAC from short, safe passes that the defense has a hard time consistently shutting down. Once the DBs move up to start pressing and taking away the short passes, then they find a way to get deep and hit passes downfield. Then they start pressing and pulling safeties out of the box to cover over the top. Then you run the ball at them. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Our offense has the whole "throw downfield to empty the box, then run into the empty box" thing down, but what it's lacking is the short, safe passes that get a QB in rhythm and let your athletes at WR and TE start to take over a game. Caldwell seems to be a bit better at drawing up those plays, but I think we need a radical system change more than just slight adjustments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Good point. YAC-based offenses are dominating the NFL right now. The best and most efficient offenses in the league all get a ton of YAC from short, safe passes that the defense has a hard time consistently shutting down. Once the DBs move up to start pressing and taking away the short passes, then they find a way to get deep and hit passes downfield. Then they start pressing and pulling safeties out of the box to cover over the top. Then you run the ball at them. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Our offense has the whole "throw downfield to empty the box, then run into the empty box" thing down, but what it's lacking is the short, safe passes that get a QB in rhythm and let your athletes at WR and TE start to take over a game. Caldwell seems to be a bit better at drawing up those plays, but I think we need a radical system change more than just slight adjustments.
    This is right on point. Here's to hoping Caldwell can move in the right direction.

Blog Entries

I am a huge fan of slow methodical offenses that dink and dunk and effectively run the ball. I really really like what the Patriots do for example both in the run and passing game, that's the ideal offense for me. We need a better Oline to run it, which should be achieved hopefully in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I have to agree. Balance is needed. Deep shots keeps the D honest and allows the run game to open up. More crossing patterns are needed. Mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I am a huge fan of slow methodical offenses that dink and dunk and effectively run the ball. I really really like what the Patriots do for example both in the run and passing game, that's the ideal offense for me. We need a better Oline to run it, which should be achieved hopefully in the offseason.
    A methodical offense is great when you have Tom Brady as QB. Joe is not Tom and the outcome will not be the same. Perhaps the Ravens will improve but the NE offense is what it is because of Tom and a future HOF coach. Getting rid of Grubbs was idiotic. Our OL hasn't been the same since. We don't have a guard that's worth the money they're paying them. Birk is old and Yanda is hurt. Unless the new OC figures out a way of getting the ball out of Joe's hands in 2 seconds we're toast. Can Joe deliver with that quickness? We'll see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    A methodical offense is great when you have Tom Brady as QB. Joe is not Tom and the outcome will not be the same. Perhaps the Ravens will improve but the NE offense is what it is because of Tom and a future HOF coach. Getting rid of Grubbs was idiotic. Our OL hasn't been the same since. We don't have a guard that's worth the money they're paying them. Birk is old and Yanda is hurt. Unless the new OC figures out a way of getting the ball out of Joe's hands in 2 seconds we're toast. Can Joe deliver with that quickness? We'll see.
    Yanda ia a great guard, and was always better than Grubbs, maybe you mean the current healthy guards?

What bothers me, is that even to my untrained eye it seems obvious every time they are going long. I am a total football noob, but it seems obvious to me as soon as the ball is snapped whether they're going long or not.

Yanda ia a great guard, and was always better than Grubbs, maybe you mean the current healthy guards?
    Exactly. It's not sound thinking to release a Pro Bowl player from your roster especially when you consider as many times as we hand the ball off to Rice.

The other advantage is you keep the other team off the field with long drives. We are last in the NFL in average TOP (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...sion-net-of-ot). Our offense is on the field for 3:20 less per game than the 2-win Chiefs. We won't be going far giving playoff teams that kind of advantage.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"