Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Ed Reed needs to go

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    It literally adds nothing to a conversation. Without giving a reason, "I agree" adds no more than "I disagree," neither of which helps me think about what's being discussed. I know it's common, but it still gets on my nerves and occasionally I grumble.

Unless - literally - your name is "BMore Ravor" or "FilmStudy," a flat "I agree" means nothing to me, because I don't care.

I'm probably not the only one who feels that way, but I might be.

/shrug
    Sorry if my shorthand agreement with a poster who happens to disagree with your point of view somehow offends you. Oh wait, no I'm not...

I think you'll find brief responses along the lines of "This", "I agree" or the "Word" icon to occur frequently on this board. I don't recall any cases where the mods had a problem with it. In this particular instance, Captain Silver expressed thoughts quite close to my own, and I chose to acknowledge this. If you find it objectionable, that's your affair, but I couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Sorry if my shorthand agreement with a poster who happens to disagree with your point of view somehow offends you. Oh wait, no I'm not...

I think you'll find brief responses along the lines of "This", "I agree" or the "Word" icon to occur frequently on this board. I don't recall any cases where the mods had a problem with it. In this particular instance, Captain Silver expressed thoughts quite close to my own, and I chose to acknowledge this. If you find it objectionable, that's your affair, but I couldn't care less.
    I agree....
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

iggyman555 Guest

it should be interesting to see how ed negotiates his contract since he doesnt have an agent

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    I said this in another thread about Ed and I'll say the same thing here. Ed can still play his position at a high level. He just can't play it like Ed Reed anymore with all the Freelancing. The physical tools to recover from a bad decision aren't there like in the past. Can Ed just play safety without gambling so much? That I'm not sure about.
    Physically, this.

Everyone else is holding to the high standard that he set for himself. He's still better than all but 3 or 4 guys playing free safety in the league right now.

Now personality wise, I think Reed wants to be done here. I think he and the coaching staff don't get along and he may need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    As a Raven? Yes. He is not worth more than the vet minimum and he won't take that. Done deal.
    No offense, but this is a ridiculous statement. Veteran minimum type players are mainly special teamers. These are guys who don't play downs from scrimmage under anything but unusual circumstances. Occasionally, you will see a veteran minimum type guy who gets some snaps because he was coming off a major injury or interruption from the previous season (basically a low-risk bargain type signing.....Kemoeatu or Donte Stallworth or Ighedibo fall into this category). Essentially, they are players who don't have any real options in free agency, so they sign for the minimum for a year with the hope of getting a larger contract the following year.

If Ed Reed is given a contract in 2013, it's going to be as a starter, and you don't sign or re-sign players of his caliber to veteran minimum type contracts. Reed isn't going to take a 85% pay cut to go to another franchise to be a backup. It's not in his makeup (we agree there). We need to re-calibrate our expectations here. Even coming off a bad year, a player of Reed's pedigree is worth far more than a veteran minimum contract.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I think he should be released after this year.

He's way past his prime, he's always hurt and he just refuses to wrap up. He's going to make 2-3 nice INTs each year on instinct. But his overall play has declined to the point where he looks like a liability.
    He's a free agent. He can't be released.

If Ed doesn't play for the Ravens next year, he will either retire or play for Pagano in Indy or BB in New England.
    No one else.
    Mark it down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    No offense, but this is a ridiculous statement. Veteran minimum type players are mainly special teamers. These are guys who don't play downs from scrimmage under anything but unusual circumstances. Occasionally, you will see a veteran minimum type guy who gets some snaps because he was coming off a major injury or interruption from the previous season (basically a low-risk bargain type signing.....Kemoeatu or Donte Stallworth or Ighedibo fall into this category). Essentially, they are players who don't have any real options in free agency, so they sign for the minimum for a year with the hope of getting a larger contract the following year.

If Ed Reed is given a contract in 2013, it's going to be as a starter, and you don't sign or re-sign players of his caliber to veteran minimum type contracts. Reed isn't going to take a 85% pay cut to go to another franchise to be a backup. It's not in his makeup (we agree there). We need to re-calibrate our expectations here. Even coming off a bad year, a player of Reed's pedigree is worth far more than a veteran minimum contract.
    Your opinion and I have mine. I want a safety that can wrap up and tackle someone. If the Colts or the Patriots (I doubt now) want to pay him more than 925,000 a year, let them. Hell, I'd even stretch it to 1.1 with incentives, but that is it. This team is rapidly approaching rebuild mode and relying on Super Stars who are shadows of themselves is over.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Your opinion and I have mine. I want a safety that can wrap up and tackle someone. If the Colts or the Patriots (I doubt now) want to pay him more than 925,000 a year, let them. Hell, I'd even stretch it to 1.1 with incentives, but that is it. This team is rapidly approaching rebuild mode and relying on Super Stars who are shadows of themselves is over.
    Agreed. Reed used to be able to make up for his sub par tackling and freelancing. He could make those huge plays that changed games. It's not the case anymore. We saw Sunday that Peyton had no fear of throwing the ball in Reed's direction. Give me a guy that can tackle well and sticks to his coverage assignments.

I think BB has shown how much he values experience on his roster, specifically on the defensive side of the ball in the past.

It would be a one or two season rental at best. Ed would rightfully go because he wants a ring. With Brady there they always have a shot, no matter what's around him.

It will be the same offseason with Ed. If people think Ed is the problem they are crazy. I have been watching S play my whole life. He is actually having a good year. With shuffling Cb's and LB's and a very inconsistent pass rush he is masking alot of errors. It wasnt his fault, the 2 point conversion happened in Washington, blame the DC and LB's for not knowing the obvious. Ed is the smartest player on the WHOLE team. Plus, add to the fact the rules are so vague about where to hit someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    they will offer Ed a deal proably more than we would get anywhere else but less than he wants. If Flacco signs i can see the Franchise Tag for him and we draft a safety this year or next year.

we dont have anyone to take over for Ed.

Other positions we have players who can take over

Kruger (Upshaw)
    Boldin (Doss)
    C. Williams (Grahm)
    Birk (Gino)

The rest can be gotten in the draft. It is deep on the D and O line this year which happens to be our biggest needs.

I dont see us drafting a WR/RB/OLB

We usually like to take a CB in the middle rounds so that will happen again but I want to see what Asa can do after sitting for a year to develop, he will prob compete with C. Brown for the 4th CB spot.

Boldin is gone, Birk of course. Kruger stays he is our best defender right now.