Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The impact of franchising Flacco...who could be lost

I'd like both the Houston imports extended, the rest, IMO can all be gone. Jameel could maybe take a paycut to stay. Boldin I guess as well, with a paycut.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I think bringing Birk back was more for stability than anything else. Think about it. If he wasn't there, you have Oher (at a different position), and Yanda, and then 3 new starters with at least one being a rookie going in to a season where everyone was figuring on being in serious contention for a SB run. Hindsight...

I think that was likely their thinking.

That said, I don't think the mistake they made was bringing Birk back, but it was not finding an understudy for him at some point from 2009-2011, making the need to bring Birk back more necessary. Had they drafted a Center during that period, then they wouldn't have needed to spend the money on Birk that is going to cause dead money to hit the Cap next year.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I'd just keep Jones. Prior to signing Leach, the Ravens always prided themselves on NOT overpaying blocking fullbacks. Then, after Leach, they did a turnabout. I'd go back to the previous approach, and save millions and invest that money in a LT. That's a more sensible way to improve everything on the offense -- improve the O-line, and then you wouldn't have to depend on a $4M battering ram.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I think that was likely their thinking.

That said, I don't think the mistake they made was bringing Birk back, but it was not finding an understudy for him at some point from 2009-2011, making the need to bring Birk back more necessary. Had they drafted a Center during that period, then they wouldn't have needed to spend the money on Birk that is going to cause dead money to hit the Cap next year.
    Yea, they've been cheaping out on center for a long time.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Cheaping out on center is one thing. But why they didn't at least grab some center along the way in the draft to be grooming a replacement for Birk years ago is a mystery.

Blog Entries

wow the real eye opener is the dead money. McClain, $2.4M really? This team will look a lot different next year; good thing they have all those draft picks

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

can't believe mcclain is worth all that money..smh...

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    can't believe mcclain is worth all that money..smh...
    We could suit up DEN's/ESPN's Tom Jackson and get better production than what McClain has turned in. Ridiculous.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    We could suit up DEN's/ESPN's Tom Jackson and get better production than what McClain has turned in. Ridiculous.
    mcclain has been a joke for a long time, harbage prob convinced oz to sign him to this contract because ellerbe was deep in the dog house

I don't get the infatuation with Jacoby Jones. The Ravens can spend that $4+ million in more needed areas, find cheaper replacements for what he brings to the table and not have a huge drop off in production.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I don't get the infatuation with Jacoby Jones. The Ravens can spend that $4+ million in more needed areas, find cheaper replacements for what he brings to the table and not have a huge drop off in production.
    Notsureifsrs. He single handily won the Pitt game with his TD return. Plus, he consistently has long returns to put us in great field position. He's shown good things as a receiver too. Blame the coaching staff for not using him more.

I'd like to extend Jones to lower his cap number. Great returner, and I think he does a decent job as a WR. His hands are iffy at times, but I think he's been underused this year. If Boldin gets cut, which seems likely, I think we'd want to have Jones back next year to go along with Smith and Doss.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...