Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The impact of franchising Flacco...who could be lost

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: The impact of franchising Flacco...who could be lost

Sheesh...5 mill in dead money for Ray and McClain...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Birk was done last year. Bringing him back was a stupid move. Now they will have to dead with dead money against the cap. Giving Bobbie Williams that contract wasn't very good either.

Blog Entries

In fairness to Harbaugh, Ozzie wasn't executive of the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Birk was done last year. Bringing him back was a stupid move. Now they will have to dead with dead money against the cap. Giving Bobbie Williams that contract wasn't very good either.
    Definitely agree.

You know, had they not brought him back they might have been able to bring in Evan Mathis and while they would be potentially starting a rookie (Gradkowski) at center, having Evan Mathis at LG would have been REALLY nice.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Here's hoping Gradkowski has been (and will continue being)in the gym like a mad man. He needs to up us bench press for that initial punch and his squat and leg curl for that drive off with his legs.

:word

Totally agree. I was puzzled at both moves at the time they were made. At least the dead money for Williams is relatively insignificant. Too bad the same cannot be said for Birk.

I think bringing Birk back was more for stability than anything else. Think about it. If he wasn't there, you have Oher (at a different position), and Yanda, and then 3 new starters with at least one being a rookie going in to a season where everyone was figuring on being in serious contention for a SB run. Hindsight...

Of all of those guys, the only ones that really should be back are Jones and Leach.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

10. Re: The impact of franchising Flacco...who could be lost

So, if we can keep Leach and Jacoby, lose Mckinnie, maybe Ed Reed too, then we would get rid of much of the deadweight that's dragging this team down?

I don't see a problem here. (other than the dead money)

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Of all of those guys, the only ones that really should be back are Jones and Leach.
    I was thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I think bringing Birk back was more for stability than anything else. Think about it. If he wasn't there, you have Oher (at a different position), and Yanda, and then 3 new starters with at least one being a rookie going in to a season where everyone was figuring on being in serious contention for a SB run. Hindsight...

I think that was likely their thinking.

That said, I don't think the mistake they made was bringing Birk back, but it was not finding an understudy for him at some point from 2009-2011, making the need to bring Birk back more necessary. Had they drafted a Center during that period, then they wouldn't have needed to spend the money on Birk that is going to cause dead money to hit the Cap next year.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap