Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

Ozzie isn't going to change from BPA. "Needs" is part of BPA, but drafting solely on what you think you need is never really a good idea. The only times he's drafted on need has been QB (Boller and Flacco).

You don't know what your needs are going to be next year, because you don't know what free agents will be available (and within your price range), what undrafted free agents you might find, or how your draft picks are going to pan out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post

I think if Norv comes here next year, he will keep Leach. He's a modern day version of Lorenzo Neal.
    Leach is great, but Norv didnt use a lot of FB sets in San Diego.

I just wonder if they could get the same blocking production from a less costly player. Leach epitomizes Ravens football, but he is expensive.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I just wonder if they could get the same blocking production from a less costly player. Leach epitomizes Ravens football, but he is expensive.

make cody into a fullback

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Leach is a tone-setter. He, more than any other player in my opinion, is the heart of the offense. That's worth a little bit more cash I think.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    That would be a dream scenario. I just don't know if Flacco's going to be worth that if he's dealing with a QB market that includes Vick, Alex Smith, and Matt Flynn.
    and get who to come here and play QB? Hopefully not one of those three. Flacco isn't going anywhere next year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I think it's obvious at this point that this overly cautious front office strategy must be shelved over the next couple years so this team is able to compete long-term. This is stuff like trading down into the second round for quantity over quality, overpaying old guys with bloating contracts to the point that we can never make any aggressive moves in free agency. I'm not saying we need to become Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones, but Ozzie/DeCosta or whoever need to stop tip-toeing through the off season instead of watching the Denvers, the New England's, the Houston's etc. get younger, faster, and better while we're anchored to bloated contracts for guys who are no longer producing. So what does this all mean? It means we need to make moves like...

Release Ray Lewis-He's been great, the best of all time at his position, but it's time to move on. He's 37 and making like 4 million next year. We could use that dough elsewhere.
    Let Ed Reed test free agency/retire.-He's been great over the years, but this years, his game has come apart. He's constantly out of position on those big plays in the seams. His gambling is nothing, he's been doing this for years, but now he's slower and can't recover. He's also done a lot of bad guessing that's cost this team big. Don't even get me started on his tackling, it's been bad for at least 3 years, this year it's been taken to new levels of shittiness. Getting hurdled over twice this year? By Brent Celek and Knowshawn Moreno? C'mon!
    Matt Birk-This guy is "smart" and all, but he gets destroyed by Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and other dominant tackles and his advantage in technique can no longer cover up his physical limitations. The quarterback can't move up into the pocket when the center is on his ass every play.
    Boldin-I loved the move when they made it, but he's no worth the five or so million they're scheduled to pay him next year. We need to use that money to go after a true number 1 receiver like Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola or see what Doss can do in an expanded role.
    Bobbie Williams-This guy is old and just doesn't have it anymore. 'Nuff said.
    Oher-move this guy to guard, so he doesn't have to deal with speed rushers at all. He's a dominant run blocker but as we all can see, he's very mediocre in pass pro.
    With the savings from these moves, we can go get that left tackle from Kansas City or maybe Jake Long. Then we can go 100% defense and OL depth in this draft because the bottom line is this team is getting destroyed in the trenches to an extent that I've not seen in years.

So lemme get this straight You want to release all these players for the sake of Joe Flacco? You do realize that sounds a little whacky don't you? How about this solution: fire john Harbaugh- the guy who treasures loyalty to his coaches above the welfare of his team. Seems a bit more logical wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman831226 View Post
    So lemme get this straight You want to release all these players for the sake of Joe Flacco? You do realize that sounds a little whacky don't you? How about this solution: fire john Harbaugh- the guy who treasures loyalty to his coaches above the welfare of his team. Seems a bit more logical wouldn't you say?
    Only partially for Flacco cuz it would be insane to franchise/tag him while continuing to pay these old guys whose production isn't matching their cap numbers. Paying Joe big or franchising him plus continuing to pay the old guys would mean we'll have no cap space to make the rest of the team better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman831226 View Post
    With the exception of his Oher recommendation (I'd rather see him at RT than G), we should be doing that with those players regardless of what happens with Flacco.

I wouldn't necessarily cut Reed and Lewis next year (or cut ties), but if they aren't coming back to be relatively inexpensive, it's time to wish them well. The team can't afford to pay them their current salaries at the level they're playing.

Bobby Williams was a stopgap depth signing. We've drafted young O-linemen, and he was there to make sure they'd have time to develop. With Hernandez, Osemele, Reid, and Gradkowski getting another year under their belt, it's time to let him go.

Ditto Birk. He's still here because Gradkowski wasn't ready. It's on G and the coaching staff to make it work next year.

Boldin was a great signing. He's not what he was. We have young receivers, especially Smith and Doss that need to step up.