Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    At this point, the Panthers would be picking somewhere around pick 37,38, or 39 in the 2nd round...so yes, I - personally - would give that some serious thought. Secondly, they aren't a conference or divisional foe.

Took the letters right off my keypad...and for those reasons too. Their stud rookie MLB would love Ngata in front of him
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Cool Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

Disagree wholeheartedly.

The odds of finding/developing a starting-caliber DT in the draft is significantly easier than finding an above average starting QB.

If Miami calls and offers one of their 2nd round picks and their 3rd or 4th rounder for this year and maybe another mid round pick next year, I'm all ears. Ngata is going to be almost 30 by the time next season starts and he hasn't had a full healthy season in over 2 years.

At some point you have to look at Art Jones, Pernell McPhee, and DeAngelo Tyson and think that is a pretty decent DT rotation. Toss in Ryan McBean and maybe pick up a Henry Melton, Glenn Dorsey, or Terrance Knighton and you've still got a nice blend of run stoppers and pass rushers at DT.

This gives you breathing room in case you do have to franchise Flacco. It also allows the team to keep Kruger (which DE pass rushers are not easy to come by and Kruger looks to be coming into his own right now) and it also allows the team to maybe go out and get a Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace.

And like others have said, if Flacco doesn't work out as a franchise guy, well then you're in better position (pick wise) to maybe move up in 2014 and go after someone like Brynn Renner out of UNC or Vanderburg out of Iowa.

Miami has two 2nd and 3rd picks this year so I definitely would agree with you if they came calling with a 2nd and a 3rd and a mid-rounder in 2014 but would not go for a 2nd and a 4th and a mid-rounder in 2014. However, if they came calling with a 2nd rounder and both of their 3rd rounders this year or both of their 2nd rounders this year and a mid or late rounder in 2014, then I'd say to Monty Hall (Ozzie), Let's Make a Deal!!!

Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

If anyone merely suggests a Ngata trade that doesn't involve a 1st round pick, they should be imprisoned for life.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    The biggest thing is, they need to find a few solid, reasonably priced veterans, the Justin Bannon's of the world to fill some holes and add some depth, and a good draft is vital. I'm not crazy about them breaking the bank on high priced FA's or expensive (in picks and $$) trades. If you look around the league, those moves rarely offer a good return on the investment.
    Gotta keep in mind they tried that this season with Ryan McBean who was IR'd before season started. And for the most part guys like Graham, Jones have been okay. Bobbie Williams & Kemo are old and very cheap...not even Ozzie can make gold in the bottom of the trash heap.

But I just don't see this strategy working with where the Ravens have issues going forward. We've been front and center to the so-called depth at a number of positions this season LB, OL, DL, and CB most prominently; and it's not good at all. This team is thin, and even thinner on impact players at many of these spots. Good Depth guys and/or rotation guys on the FA marke are just not going to keep this team competitive much longer.

I don't know what the answer is short of lots and lots of high draft picks or the kind of 2007-2008 drafts where they got 6 starters counting Gaither who all started almost immediately.

I wouldn't trade Ngata unless we got at least 1 first rounder. Hell, the Bengals got a fucking first and second FOR a WAY PAST HIS PRIME CARSON PALMER. Anything less than that and Ozzie would look like a fool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I wouldn't trade Ngata unless we got at least 1 first rounder. Hell, the Bengals got a fucking first and second FOR a WAY PAST HIS PRIME CARSON PALMER. Anything less than that and Ozzie would look like a fool.
    QB is a much higher valued position than DT. That's just the way it is. I agree that the Raiders got fleeced big time...especially since the Redskins essentially gave up a 2nd rounder and some change for McNabb. However, the Raiders were desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    If anyone merely suggests a Ngata trade that doesn't involve a 1st round pick, they should be imprisoned for life.
    Normally I would agree with you, but considering Ngata is A) Very expensive and B) going to be nearly 30 years old next season, I don't know that he would necessarily garner a 1st round pick. I'd love to get a 1st for him...but I doubt that happens. Now, if he were a pass rushing DT like Suh or Atkins, that would likely make a BIG difference.

How many folks saw the Dolphins letting Brandon Marshall go for a 2nd?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

One thing to keep in mind if they trade Ngata is bonus acceleration and dead money. I believe if they trade him, its the same cap wise as releasing him. So that comes into play.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Stockpile picks and young players for a year or two and then tank a season for Johnny Football?

...I'll see myself out. :o

THey are not trading him, the D would suck even more. The reason the Run D is bad is because of the rest of the D line. Ngata can only do so much of Kemo is getting pushed around. THE ONLY WAY OZ THINKS ABOUT TRADING HIM IS IF THERE IS A 1ST Rd PICK INVOLVED. He is the best DT in the league.

Ed reed wont be brought back unless he will take 4M

Boldin will gave to take a 50% pay cut

Ray will have to take a 75% paycut as when he signed this deal no one thought he would still be playing in 2013

Flacco should be signed not tagged as it would take 7-9M less cap space if he is signed. and it is best for both sides.

Kruger can walk as upshaw is looking better and better and another year of cardio and weights will make him a beast. Same with C.Williams. We will end up with Comp picks again in 2014 for those players.

Also, a big reason we did not move up in the draft in years past is we did not have the ammo or lacked picks like after we traded for Boldin. this year we will have comp picks so we can trade our 3rd, 5th etc.. and move up to get a good player and still keep our comp pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambla View Post
    Stockpile picks and young players for a year or two and then tank a season for Johnny Football?

...I'll see myself out. :o
    he has NFL bust writtian all over him

I also stand by my ground that Flacco would be tagged and traded before Ngata is.

If the Ravens can get a 1st and 3rd for Flacco or 2 #1s from a desperate team I would send him packing and sign a stop gap vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I will agree with the idea that the Ravens need to stop trading down and instead look to trade up. They need a real impact player at one of their positions of need, and since they can't seem to be able to find one in the late first/early second, they need to trade up to acquire one.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but if they were more aggressive in the draft, instead of sitting back, letting other teams jump them, and then trading down, they could have Dez Bryant right now instead of Kindle and Cody. In the 5 picks before their first round pick last year, Decastro, Hightower, Mercilus, and Zietler all went off the board...trade up.
    I definitely agree that Ozzie and the front office need to quit bargain shopping in the draft. They're outsmarting themselves sometimes.
    I don't know if they can really afford to trade up...at least far considering we need a lot of our picks due to having a bunch of holes.

But like you guys have said, the time of trading back is over. I can't remember the last time that Ozzie traded out of the first round that he was successful later on with the picks he gained.

I thought it would benefit us if he actually looked to the future and took a future high pick, but Ozzie just seems way too content to load up on 3rd and 4th rounders to trade 20 spots back from his spot in the first round.

Even in 2008...I thought it was awful...absolutely awful at the time that we didn't get Jax to give us a #1 pick the following year...instead Ozzie dropped back damn near 20 spots and frankly I was kind of pissed that we moved that far back for a couple 3rd and 4th rounders. He should have looked into it in 2010 as well.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.