Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I've been holding this card close for 2-3 weeks now. Didn't want to play it until I had a partner at the table, so thanks...but yeah, I think we should float (if that's possible in today's media age) the offer on "picks for Ngata".

Ngata's picks + our eleven 2012 "base" picks means that we could even spin an extra 2014 pick or two as well, which could have a great impact. Why? B/c if Joe is not the answer (no matter if tagged or contracted) we're going to find out in 2013, and we will need all of the trade-up ammo possible to grab that next franchise QB in 2014.
    Seriously doubt this happens. So if you agree with what wicked said what would be fair compensation and do you expect any team to agree to it despite all of the reasons for trading Ngata.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    Ngata is not being traded so get that idea aside, Flacco would be tagged and traded before Ngata is.
    Disagree wholeheartedly.

The odds of finding/developing a starting-caliber DT in the draft is significantly easier than finding an above average starting QB.

If Miami calls and offers one of their 2nd round picks and their 3rd or 4th rounder for this year and maybe another mid round pick next year, I'm all ears. Ngata is going to be almost 30 by the time next season starts and he hasn't had a full healthy season in over 2 years.

At some point you have to look at Art Jones, Pernell McPhee, and DeAngelo Tyson and think that is a pretty decent DT rotation. Toss in Ryan McBean and maybe pick up a Henry Melton, Glenn Dorsey, or Terrance Knighton and you've still got a nice blend of run stoppers and pass rushers at DT.

This gives you breathing room in case you do have to franchise Flacco. It also allows the team to keep Kruger (which DE pass rushers are not easy to come by and Kruger looks to be coming into his own right now) and it also allows the team to maybe go out and get a Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace.

And like others have said, if Flacco doesn't work out as a franchise guy, well then you're in better position (pick wise) to maybe move up in 2014 and go after someone like Brynn Renner out of UNC or Vanderburg out of Iowa.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Seriously doubt this happens. So if you agree with what wicked said what would be fair compensation and do you expect any team to agree to it despite all of the reasons for trading Ngata.
    I'm sure it won't happen either as Ngata is well liked in the locker room and organization. However, it does beg the question of the return they're getting on such a large contract.

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but Ngata, Lewis and Sugg's cap number next year almost exceeds the entire cap hit for the offense.

Regarding value? I'm not real sure. He doesn't bring much to the table as a pass rusher, so no one is going to throw picks at him like the Raiders did with Richard Seymour (who was a very good pass rusher).

I'd be interested for a high 2nd round pick, a mid day pick (5th or 6th) and maybe a mid day pick or two in 2014.

Blog Entries

I will agree with the idea that the Ravens need to stop trading down and instead look to trade up. They need a real impact player at one of their positions of need, and since they can't seem to be able to find one in the late first/early second, they need to trade up to acquire one.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but if they were more aggressive in the draft, instead of sitting back, letting other teams jump them, and then trading down, they could have Dez Bryant right now instead of Kindle and Cody. In the 5 picks before their first round pick last year, Decastro, Hightower, Mercilus, and Zietler all went off the board...trade up.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I will agree with the idea that the Ravens need to stop trading down and instead look to trade up. They need a real impact player at one of their positions of need, and since they can't seem to be able to find one in the late first/early second, they need to trade up to acquire one.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but if they were more aggressive in the draft, instead of sitting back, letting other teams jump them, and then trading down, they could have Dez Bryant right now instead of Kindle and Cody. In the 5 picks before their first round pick last year, Decastro, Hightower, Mercilus, and Zietler all went off the board...trade up.
    I definitely agree that Ozzie and the front office need to quit bargain shopping in the draft. They're outsmarting themselves sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I think it's obvious at this point that this overly cautious front office strategy must be shelved over the next couple years so this team is able to compete long-term. This is stuff like trading down into the second round for quantity over quality, overpaying old guys with bloating contracts to the point that we can never make any aggressive moves in free agency. I'm not saying we need to become Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones, but Ozzie/DeCosta or whoever need to stop tip-toeing through the off season instead of watching the Denvers, the New England's, the Houston's etc. get younger, faster, and better while we're anchored to bloated contracts for guys who are no longer producing. So what does this all mean? It means we need to make moves like...

Release Ray Lewis-He's been great, the best of all time at his position, but it's time to move on. He's 37 and making like 4 million next year. We could use that dough elsewhere.
    Let Ed Reed test free agency/retire.-He's been great over the years, but this years, his game has come apart. He's constantly out of position on those big plays in the seams. His gambling is nothing, he's been doing this for years, but now he's slower and can't recover. He's also done a lot of bad guessing that's cost this team big. Don't even get me started on his tackling, it's been bad for at least 3 years, this year it's been taken to new levels of shittiness. Getting hurdled over twice this year? By Brent Celek and Knowshawn Moreno? C'mon!
    Matt Birk-This guy is "smart" and all, but he gets destroyed by Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and other dominant tackles and his advantage in technique can no longer cover up his physical limitations. The quarterback can't move up into the pocket when the center is on his ass every play.
    Boldin-I loved the move when they made it, but he's no worth the five or so million they're scheduled to pay him next year. We need to use that money to go after a true number 1 receiver like Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola or see what Doss can do in an expanded role.
    Bobbie Williams-This guy is old and just doesn't have it anymore. 'Nuff said.
    Oher-move this guy to guard, so he doesn't have to deal with speed rushers at all. He's a dominant run blocker but as we all can see, he's very mediocre in pass pro.
    With the savings from these moves, we can go get that left tackle from Kansas City or maybe Jake Long. Then we can go 100% defense and OL depth in this draft because the bottom line is this team is getting destroyed in the trenches to an extent that I've not seen in years.
    I agree with all of this. I'd keep Leach and Jacoby Jones, possibly try to extend them if necessary/able. I'm also not a fan of Jameel McClain at his salary, but I guess if Ray is being cut loose you almost have to bring him back to pair with Ellerbe in the middle.

The biggest thing is, they need to find a few solid, reasonably priced veterans, the Justin Bannon's of the world to fill some holes and add some depth, and a good draft is vital. I'm not crazy about them breaking the bank on high priced FA's or expensive (in picks and $$) trades. If you look around the league, those moves rarely offer a good return on the investment.

At this point, I lean towards franchising Joe. I don't know if I'm confidant enough in him long term to justify a long term deal, even if it's for Fitzpatrick money. Although I guess their is the temptation to try and buy low. Joe doesn't have much in the way of leverage right now. I dunno. On the fence about franchise vs long term deal.

The Ngata question is an interesting one. The guy has been playing hurt, but, let's face it, he seems to get hurt every year. And he's not getting any younger. I guess I'd be open to moving him for at least a 1st round pick plus another mid round pick (3rd or 4th?). Basically some team would have to be willing to give me a king's ransom to make it worth my while.
    Last edited by esmd; 12-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I look at fair compensation based upon what I think the other party wants, needs and how badly. Find me a team who thinks someone like Ngata is the "missing piece" and I'll tell you what is fair.

For the purpose of forum discussions though, I'd start at two 2nds, would be excited with a 2nd and 3rd, but could live with one 2nd.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Ed Reed. My man.
    But I'm not sure OCs and QBs are even scared of him anymore. *smh*
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I look at fair compensation based upon what I think the other party wants, needs and how badly. Find me a team who thinks someone like Ngata is the "missing piece" and I'll tell you what is fair.

For the purpose of forum discussions though, I'd start at two 2nds, would be excited with a 2nd and 3rd, but could live with one 2nd.
    How about the Panthers?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If a team came calling with two 2nd rounders I would have to give this serious consideration.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    How about the Panthers?
    At this point, the Panthers would be picking somewhere around pick 37,38, or 39 in the 2nd round...so yes, I - personally - would give that some serious thought. Secondly, they aren't a conference or divisional foe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    At this point, the Panthers would be picking somewhere around pick 37,38, or 39 in the 2nd round...so yes, I - personally - would give that some serious thought. Secondly, they aren't a conference or divisional foe.
    Getting Ngata would be huge for them

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!