Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

i can also see money saved by not tendering all our RFAs or giving some lower than normal tenders (Dickson) is a prime exapmle for a low tender if someone bites we get a 3rd. and save a ton on the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    And by the way there's no cap savings if Ed Reed were to go elsewhere. I believe the same is true for Bobbie Williams. He was on a 1 year deal if memory serves me correctly.
    That's not necessarily true in practical terms. Ed isn't presently being counted against next year's cap because his contract is about to expire. But re-signing him, even at a reduced rate, will likely be more expensive than bringing in another FS. New England or someone else will offer him more than the Ravens.

And Bobbie Williams does have another year on his contract (it was a 2-year deal). Fortunately his dead money amount is pretty low if he's cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I don't think anyone on defense needs to go. Look at the starters who are playing hurt, or have missed time:

Lewis (HoF), Reed (HoF), Webb (Elite corner), Ngata (All-Pro), Suggs (All-Pro) Pollard, McPhee, Ellerbe, Jimmy Smith.

That's 9 people! Reed looked fine when Webb was still healthy. Going into last week, we had the number one red zone defense. I think it's pretty admirable in light of the circumstance.

I just read PFF today, and encouraging news is that Upshaw is turning into a monster run stopper, and Corey Graham is doing a very admirable job at corner. Going into next season with that line up healthy, I think we look good.

I think the part of the defense that needs the most work is the line. Ngata just has almost no help.

The offense should get back to being a power football team. I don't think they'll find a QB better than Flacco anytime soon, but Flacco just can't carry a team on his shoulders. I think the best thing is to emulate San Francisco with Alex Smith.

Invest in a powerful interior line so you can run a zone blocking scheme. If you get a guy like Barrett Jones in the draft, get Yanda back healthy, and then acquire a capable G/C in FA, suddenly Oher and Osemele don't look so bad on the outside. Combine that with Leach in the backfield more frequently, not only do you have better protection for Joe, but you suddenly have many more options in the run game.

We have great talent in the running back team. We should capitalize on it.

I'm in favor of Boldin staying only because he's so great at blocking down field. We don't have a tight end who can do that yet.
    Some guys are going to have to go...if because of nothing else but the cap.

Ray Lewis is in no way a guy should have a $6+ million cap hit. Reed either.

Boldin is overpaid. Leach IMHO is a nice luxury that the team will have to ask itself does it really need.

There are going to be some tough decisions and choices made and some of those guys I just mentioned are not going to be here anymore. They are all over 30 and with the exception of Leach, their play is heading down a steep decline. This team has a SERIOUS speed problem on defense and a serious problem getting guys open on offense.

You aren't addressing needs by keeping over the hill players IMHO. The wise saying is that it's better to let guys leave a year early than a year late.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

want to mention cap issues. The Steelers are fucked. 26 of their players for next year = 126M of cap space. They will be making a lot of cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    That's not necessarily true. Ed isn't presently being counted against next year's cap because his contract is about to expire. But re-signing him, even at a reduced rate, will likely be more expensive than bringing in another FS. New England or someone else will offer him more than the Ravens.

And Bobbie Williams does have another year on his contract (it was a 2-year deal). Fortunately his dead money amount is pretty low if he's cut.
    My post made no mention of Ed Reed being retained. I simply stated the fact that if Ed Reed were to sign elsewhere there's no cap savings. Ed will be a UFA next year so of course he's not going to count against the cap. As for Bobbie Williams I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    want to mention cap issues. The Steelers are fucked. 26 of their players for next year = 126M of cap space. They will be making a lot of cuts.
    Holy crap!! You sure that number is accurate?? That's unbelievable. I knew they were doing a lot of restructuring but damn

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    That's not necessarily true in practical terms. Ed isn't presently being counted against next year's cap because his contract is about to expire. But re-signing him, even at a reduced rate, will likely be more expensive than bringing in another FS. New England or someone else will offer him more than the Ravens.

NE is not that stupid they wont offer Reed more than we would. we would offer him around 4M and the Tag for him would be aroung 6M. NO WAY BB offers a 35 year old safety that kind of money. Plus we would match a NE offer and I am sure Ed would rather play here than there if there was only a small difference in money. They made a mistake with A. Thomas and learned.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    My post made no mention of Ed Reed being retained. I simply stated the fact that if Ed Reed were to sign elsewhere there's no cap savings. Ed will be a UFA next year so of course he's not going to count against the cap. As for Bobbie Williams I stand corrected.
    Understood.

Joe's gonna eat up your oline and d players you need to get back on top. Ndata hasn't played well for a few years whether its injuries or not. Joe and RR will cost about 1/6 of our salary cap. Thats alot of money when one can't run and the other can't throw without a good line in front of them. They will be in the same position for the next few years putting in patch work cheap oline players with the same results. Haven't we seen this movie for the past few years? They have to make up their mind what they want. If its slinging the ball downfield then you shouldn't have signed RR to a long term deal and brought some stud lineman instead. Your not going to have both which is what everyone wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    NE is not that stupid they wont offer Reed more than we would. we would offer him around 4M and the Tag for him would be aroung 6M. NO WAY BB offers a 35 year old safety that kind of money. Plus we would match a NE offer and I am sure Ed would rather play here than there if there was only a small difference in money. They made a mistake with A. Thomas and learned.
    I use New England as an example, because Bill Belichek is on record as being a huge Ed Reed fan. I wouldn't say it's an impossible scenario.

The bigger question is do the Ravens even want Reed back? After watching his play this year I find myself wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You guys are probably going to look at me really strangely, but if I were Ozzie I would be interested in seeing if anyone would cough up some draft picks for Ngata.

#1 - the dude is REALLY expensive.
    #2 - he hasn't really been healthy for an entire season in 2 years.
    #3 - he's not producing like an impact player.
    I've been holding this card close for 2-3 weeks now. Didn't want to play it until I had a partner at the table, so thanks...but yeah, I think we should float (if that's possible in today's media age) the offer on "picks for Ngata".

Ngata's picks + our eleven 2012 "base" picks means that we could even spin an extra 2014 pick or two as well, which could have a great impact. Why? B/c if Joe is not the answer (no matter if tagged or contracted) we're going to find out in 2013, and we will need all of the trade-up ammo possible to grab that next franchise QB in 2014.

Bottom line is this team had its chance last year and pissed it away, the window is closed on Ray and Ed and its time to rebuild this team for the future not for "another year for Ray and Ed" to get a ring. I'm past that. Steve B needs to figure out what he wants from his team and do it and put the people in the postion to make it happen. If your not getting better your getting worse. This team needs retooled somewhat and it may take a couple years to get it back. So be it but resigning has beens ain't gonna do it. Ozzi needs to stop dropping down in the draft and maybe even move up if he would have made a few moves the past few years you might not have as many holes to fill but there are only so many RR in the draft most are lower because frankly they are not as good as the guys a drafted ahead of them.