Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You guys are probably going to look at me really strangely, but if I were Ozzie I would be interested in seeing if anyone would cough up some draft picks for Ngata.

#1 - the dude is REALLY expensive.
    #2 - he hasn't really been healthy for an entire season in 2 years.
    #3 - he's not producing like an impact player.

I know the guy sees a lot of double teams and I know he still could be one of the top DT's in the league...but I see his price tag and I think to myself that maybe he's just not worth that much at this point. Maybe that money would be better spent retaining Kruger and trying to sign Clady or Jake Long if they were to hit the open market?

The emergence of Art Jones and the things that DeAngelo Tyson have shown (as well as a healthy Pernell McPhee) have made me think that maybe Ngata becomes expendable. I sincerely doubt it would happen, but I do think it warrants consideration.
    In this age of win now, I don't think the Ravens can not look at every option. There isn't one player on this team I deem untouchable, not even Ray Rice. Wait, Tucker, you can't have the kicker!

I dunno about trading Ngata...he's probably why this run defense is 28 (or has it dipped even lower?) instead of 31/32nd. We'd have to legitimate DLine men.

I'll hate to see Anquan Boldin go - I love the way he plays - but I think there's a good chance he's gone, particularly if they tag Flacco.

Agree it's time for Lewis to retire, and they need to dump Birk & Bobbie Williams the minute the season ends. Time to let Ed Reed say goodbye also. Not sure about Leach; whoever is hired to be OC next year will be a factor there.

But even if these things come to pass, I think you can forget the idea of a Jake Long-type signing. I doubt that's realistic even if Flacco signs a reasonable deal. Then again, I'm no cap expert.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I dunno about trading Ngata...he's probably why this run defense is 28 (or has it dipped even lower?) instead of 31/32nd. We'd have to legitimate DLine men.
    Yea, but realistically, is there THAT much of a difference between 28 and 32? Not really.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    A couple of years ago, if you'd said that about Mario Williams and Houston, people would have called you crazy.

I'd hate to see Ngata leave though. I just really feel the line would fall to pieces without him. I really think the attention he commands is what allows guys like McPhee, Jones, and Tyson to look as good as they do.
    I would hate to see the guy go too, but the reality is that the Ravens are going to be tight against the cap and need a lot...maybe more than what the draft can give and with the way that they have been drafting lately, I don't have much confidence that they'll be able to find quality players to fill out the roster.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be bothered if Ngata went elsewhere. I'd rather have a better oline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Agreed; some of these guys with huge contracts are going to be scrutinized. If a team is willing to over pay for them, then it has to be something the team considers

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Ngata is not the same player he was 3 years ago. He is beyond his prime, b/c injuries have caught up to him. And he really has never developed into a passrushing Sam Adams type DT. I'm all for shipping him off in a Richard Seymour type deal. Dont think we'd get too much for him... maybe a 2nd round. At least we'd obtain a lot of cap space for OL help, #1 WR.

I've thought that about Ndata also. He's a big man with leg injuries and I think his best days are behind him. Ray and Ed need to move on as great as they were. Joes a tough call, not worth what he wants and i think we may have made a mistake with Rice. Yes he is very good and would be better with an Oline and an offense that was designed to run block. This team has been put together the past few years for Joe to throw the ball. Its almost like we still don't know what we want to be. RR got big money for a running back going into his 5th year. Now you have a high paid running back that can't run because of a bad Oline and a QB who wants big money and can't do what the big money QB's do. You already have RR, put Joes money into the Oline and some Defense while taking the money you save from Ray,Ed, etc. Find a good game manager for QB rebuild the oline and defense with the money saved and go back to smash mouth on both sides of the ball. Between Joe, Ray ,Ed, Boldin, Birk and a few others we can rebuild and getback to what made the Raven who they were.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I think it's obvious at this point that this overly cautious front office strategy must be shelved over the next couple years so this team is able to compete long-term. This is stuff like trading down into the second round for quantity over quality, overpaying old guys with bloating contracts to the point that we can never make any aggressive moves in free agency. I'm not saying we need to become Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones, but Ozzie/DeCosta or whoever need to stop tip-toeing through the off season instead of watching the Denvers, the New England's, the Houston's etc. get younger, faster, and better while we're anchored to bloated contracts for guys who are no longer producing. So what does this all mean? It means we need to make moves like...

Release Ray Lewis-He's been great, the best of all time at his position, but it's time to move on. He's 37 and making like 4 million next year. We could use that dough elsewhere.
    Let Ed Reed test free agency/retire.-He's been great over the years, but this years, his game has come apart. He's constantly out of position on those big plays in the seams. His gambling is nothing, he's been doing this for years, but now he's slower and can't recover. He's also done a lot of bad guessing that's cost this team big. Don't even get me started on his tackling, it's been bad for at least 3 years, this year it's been taken to new levels of shittiness. Getting hurdled over twice this year? By Brent Celek and Knowshawn Moreno? C'mon!
    Matt Birk-This guy is "smart" and all, but he gets destroyed by Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and other dominant tackles and his advantage in technique can no longer cover up his physical limitations. The quarterback can't move up into the pocket when the center is on his ass every play.
    Boldin-I loved the move when they made it, but he's no worth the five or so million they're scheduled to pay him next year. We need to use that money to go after a true number 1 receiver like Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola or see what Doss can do in an expanded role.
    Bobbie Williams-This guy is old and just doesn't have it anymore. 'Nuff said.
    Oher-move this guy to guard, so he doesn't have to deal with speed rushers at all. He's a dominant run blocker but as we all can see, he's very mediocre in pass pro.
    With the savings from these moves, we can go get that left tackle from Kansas City or maybe Jake Long. Then we can go 100% defense and OL depth in this draft because the bottom line is this team is getting destroyed in the trenches to an extent that I've not seen in years.
    You need to define what "overly cautious" is but whatever strategy we decide the Ravens have been using for the last 5 years is the same strategy that has allowed us to compete for the last 5 years. As for aggressive moves in free agency, very few teams do it and there's a reason for it. You've got to build through the draft and that's where the problem lies. We've come up with a few misses lately although it's probably to premature to rate any draft class until 3 years out.
    The cap also impacts off season strategy. Part of the reason why the ravens have put a winning product on the field is because they've been able to retain alot of their players with market value contracts. In others words they've been able to spent up to the cap. Now they are forecasting 2013 cap to come in flat and all indications are is that 2014 could be the same. Many people didn't expect the cap especially in 2013 to come in flat compared to 2012 so this hinders the ravens a little as well.

And by the way there's no cap savings if Ed Reed were to go elsewhere. I believe the same is true for Bobbie Williams. He was on a 1 year deal if memory serves me correctly.

[QUOTE=PGCountyRaven85;539924]I dunno about trading Ngata...he's probably why this run defense is 28 (or has it dipped even lower?) instead of 31/32nd. We'd have to legitimate DLine men.[/QUOTE

Ngata is playing out of position (DE in Pees' schemes). He should be the NT but nevertheless don't forget about Cody and Maake getting blown off the ball too. Their issues are technique but I beleive Ngata is more injury related.

Ngata is not being traded so get that idea aside, Flacco would be tagged and traded before Ngata is.

Lewis will have to take a pay cut or be cut and re signed, Boldin is in the same boat.

Birk will be cut or retire. I would still sign flacco to the deal we were offering him. If we tagged him we would take a 14M hit and what happens if we dont sign him in the off season and he plays under the tag? do you tag him again for 17-20M, do you just give him what he wants. The team cant afford big cap hits but on the other hand they dont want to overpay a player. But when it comes to Flacco a Franchise QB, they are all really overpaid when they re sign. The should sign him not tag him for cap reasons, its the best move going forward

I remember reading that the cap will go up big in 2014 when the new TV deal hits. so not is the time to sign Flacco. We have needs in the off season but not as many as most people think. We are good at WR/RB/TE/OLB/CB/RG/RT/LG (if they move KO). Those holes can be found in the draft FA. Remember we will be getting quite a few comp picks this year prob a 3rd and 4th and a 5th or 2 6ths. with those type extra picks i can see this being the year we trade up vs down.

Lets say our pick is 25 it wont cost too much to move up to around 17-18. same in the 2nd round if we wanted to move up. we have the ammo to do so. Last year we got the guy we wanted in the 2nd round and he was the top guy on our board when we made the trade. so that worked out.