Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

I think it's obvious at this point that this overly cautious front office strategy must be shelved over the next couple years so this team is able to compete long-term. This is stuff like trading down into the second round for quantity over quality, overpaying old guys with bloating contracts to the point that we can never make any aggressive moves in free agency. I'm not saying we need to become Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones, but Ozzie/DeCosta or whoever need to stop tip-toeing through the off season instead of watching the Denvers, the New England's, the Houston's etc. get younger, faster, and better while we're anchored to bloated contracts for guys who are no longer producing. So what does this all mean? It means we need to make moves like...

Release Ray Lewis-He's been great, the best of all time at his position, but it's time to move on. He's 37 and making like 4 million next year. We could use that dough elsewhere.
    Let Ed Reed test free agency/retire.-He's been great over the years, but this years, his game has come apart. He's constantly out of position on those big plays in the seams. His gambling is nothing, he's been doing this for years, but now he's slower and can't recover. He's also done a lot of bad guessing that's cost this team big. Don't even get me started on his tackling, it's been bad for at least 3 years, this year it's been taken to new levels of shittiness. Getting hurdled over twice this year? By Brent Celek and Knowshawn Moreno? C'mon!
    Matt Birk-This guy is "smart" and all, but he gets destroyed by Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and other dominant tackles and his advantage in technique can no longer cover up his physical limitations. The quarterback can't move up into the pocket when the center is on his ass every play.
    Boldin-I loved the move when they made it, but he's no worth the five or so million they're scheduled to pay him next year. We need to use that money to go after a true number 1 receiver like Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola or see what Doss can do in an expanded role.
    Bobbie Williams-This guy is old and just doesn't have it anymore. 'Nuff said.
    Oher-move this guy to guard, so he doesn't have to deal with speed rushers at all. He's a dominant run blocker but as we all can see, he's very mediocre in pass pro.
    With the savings from these moves, we can go get that left tackle from Kansas City or maybe Jake Long. Then we can go 100% defense and OL depth in this draft because the bottom line is this team is getting destroyed in the trenches to an extent that I've not seen in years.

Blog Entries

Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I think it's obvious at this point that this overly cautious front office strategy must be shelved over the next couple years so this team is able to compete long-term. This is stuff like trading down into the second round for quantity over quality, overpaying old guys with bloating contracts to the point that we can never make any aggressive moves in free agency. I'm not saying we need to become Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones, but Ozzie/DeCosta or whoever need to stop tip-toeing through the off season instead of watching the Denvers, the New England's, the Houston's etc. get younger, faster, and better while we're anchored to bloated contracts for guys who are no longer producing. So what does this all mean? It means we need to make moves like...

Release Ray Lewis-He's been great, the best of all time at his position, but it's time to move on. He's 37 and making like 4 million next year. We could use that dough elsewhere.
    Let Ed Reed test free agency/retire.-He's been great over the years, but this years, his game has come apart. He's constantly out of position on those big plays in the seams. His gambling is nothing, he's been doing this for years, but now he's slower and can't recover. He's also done a lot of bad guessing that's cost this team big. Don't even get me started on his tackling, it's been bad for at least 3 years, this year it's been taken to new levels of shittiness. Getting hurdled over twice this year? By Brent Celek and Knowshawn Moreno? C'mon!
    Matt Birk-This guy is "smart" and all, but he gets destroyed by Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and other dominant tackles and his advantage in technique can no longer cover up his physical limitations. The quarterback can't move up into the pocket when the center is on his ass every play.
    Boldin-I loved the move when they made it, but he's no worth the five or so million they're scheduled to pay him next year. We need to use that money to go after a true number 1 receiver like Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola or see what Doss can do in an expanded role.
    Bobbie Williams-This guy is old and just doesn't have it anymore. 'Nuff said.
    Oher-move this guy to guard, so he doesn't have to deal with speed rushers at all. He's a dominant run blocker but as we all can see, he's very mediocre in pass pro.
    With the savings from these moves, we can go get that left tackle from Kansas City or maybe Jake Long. Then we can go 100% defense and OL depth in this draft because the bottom line is this team is getting destroyed in the trenches to an extent that I've not seen in years.
    I like it, now what about Flacco? Do you keep Leach?

We have to keep Flacco, unless he expects a Drew Brees contract. I'd like to see what he could do in a new system. As for Leach, I think he's important and we should try to extend him to save some cap. I like this added dimension we've been seeing from him in recent weeks, as an outlet receiver. He has some of the best hands on this team.

Blog Entries

I am inclined to agree, no matter how bad Flacco has looked, I am sure if he played behind Brady's or Manning's lines with those weapons, he'd be fine.

I doubt Leach would see cash like he got from us with the NFL devaluing the FB spot. He'd be smart to extend. Isn't this the last year of his contract here?

We should keep Leach. I love the guy... always looking to hit the first available guy even when he catches the football.

i believe leach is under contract for next year

I would keep boldin but ask him to take a pay cut if he wont cut him and see if he can get what we are offering him via his pay cut. chances are we wont with other WRs out there in FA who are younger and faster.

As for Ray. I would do the same his cap number is close to 9M next year all in Base salery, i would ask him to cut to 4 and if we wont, wish him luck getting close to 5M anyplace else.

Birk needs to be cut.

Flacco stays, the only way we let him go is via trade, franchise QBs are not a dime a dozen like RBs and WRs. We can get at least a 1st and 3rd for him. possibly 2 #1s if a team is desprate. I would offer him the same contract we offered in the off season it would save cap space vs the tag and we know he is capable of leading this team to the playoffs. Use the savings to make the O line better.

I don't think anyone on defense needs to go. Look at the starters who are playing hurt, or have missed time:

Lewis (HoF), Reed (HoF), Webb (Elite corner), Ngata (All-Pro), Suggs (All-Pro) Pollard, McPhee, Ellerbe, Jimmy Smith.

That's 9 people! Reed looked fine when Webb was still healthy. Going into last week, we had the number one red zone defense. I think it's pretty admirable in light of the circumstance.

I just read PFF today, and encouraging news is that Upshaw is turning into a monster run stopper, and Corey Graham is doing a very admirable job at corner. Going into next season with that line up healthy, I think we look good.

I think the part of the defense that needs the most work is the line. Ngata just has almost no help.

The offense should get back to being a power football team. I don't think they'll find a QB better than Flacco anytime soon, but Flacco just can't carry a team on his shoulders. I think the best thing is to emulate San Francisco with Alex Smith.

Invest in a powerful interior line so you can run a zone blocking scheme. If you get a guy like Barrett Jones in the draft, get Yanda back healthy, and then acquire a capable G/C in FA, suddenly Oher and Osemele don't look so bad on the outside. Combine that with Leach in the backfield more frequently, not only do you have better protection for Joe, but you suddenly have many more options in the run game.

We have great talent in the running back team. We should capitalize on it.

I'm in favor of Boldin staying only because he's so great at blocking down field. We don't have a tight end who can do that yet.

Yeah, he signed a two deal and yes, Flacco can make all the throws and he's still young. I hope he takes a Fitzpatrick/Schaub type deal so that the team actually has money to build. Unless he likes getting sacked 43 times/season.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Yeah, he signed a two deal and yes, Flacco can make all the throws and he's still young. I hope he takes a Fitzpatrick/Schaub type deal so that the team actually has money to build. Unless he likes getting sacked 43 times/season.
    he will get a rivers type deal or the deal they offered him in camp. He would be stupid not to take it now.

Blog Entries

Those guys are likely going to be salary cap casualties anyway, I wouldn't call it a purge. They have to tag Flacco or sign him to a fair deal. Leach, I think it depends on the new OC and their system.

I thought you meant a real purge - the priest, the waterboy, everyone ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Those guys are likely going to be salary cap casualties anyway, I wouldn't call it a purge. They have to tag Flacco or sign him to a fair deal. Leach, I think it depends on the new OC and their system.

I thought you meant a real purge - the priest, the waterboy, everyone ;)
    I think if Norv comes here next year, he will keep Leach. He's a modern day version of Lorenzo Neal.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be bothered if Ngata went elsewhere. I'd rather have a better oline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk