Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Point being, this team can win with average play at the QB position, providing players come back healthy and we sign some good players and use some high round picks to fix the opine. Why pay through the nose for slightly above average, when you can get someone much cheaper for average play. A guy like Alex Smith is only going to be a stop gap before there comes a long a good draft filled with decent QB prospects, perhaps like this years draft which now has six (seven if you count Cousins as a starter after Sunday) rookies starting for their teams, three of whom look likely to lead their teams into the play offs.
    And how well did that work out for the Ravens BEFORE Joe Flacco arrived, and when the Ravens D was much more formidable than it is now?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Sounds pretty risky too me with a 27 year old QB who's started every game and done enough to get his team into the playoffs every year he's been in the league...If there's 1 thing you can't do in the NFL it's cheap out at the QB position.

I understand your point, but I think your wholly and completely 100% wrong. Flacco's good enough to get it done (see 2011 AFCC) and it's looking like Ozzie's going to get him for a lot cheaper than any of us thought back in August.

Don't really want to see my team dump the (1) starting QB, (2) sign a stop-gap guy, and (3) hope for a new savior at some undetermined and unknown future time. Not a winning formula if you ask me.
    Once again another guy not understanding my point fully. This is all assuming Flacco is still looking for top 5 money. If Flacco signs with the deal he was originally offered, then I'd be happy with that. My argument was not that Flacco was good enough, we all know that he's good enough. My argument was that he isn't good enough without a supporting cast, and we can't afford a supporting cast when we're giving Flacco 14 million a year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    And how well did that work out for the Ravens BEFORE Joe Flacco arrived, and when the Ravens D was much more formidable than it is now?
    We won a SB? lol

Our defense was pretty damn good between 08 and 2011. Before Flacco got here, we still had some pretty good years too, it's not like we where losing every year.

Blog Entries

Point being, this team can win with average play at the QB position, providing players come back healthy and we sign some good players and use some high round picks to fix the opine. Why pay through the nose for slightly above average, when you can get someone much cheaper for average play. A guy like Alex Smith is only going to be a stop gap before there comes a long a good draft filled with decent QB prospects, perhaps like this years draft which now has six (seven if you count Cousins as a starter after Sunday) rookies starting for their teams, three of whom look likely to lead their teams into the play offs.
    So, which QB coming out in the next 2-3 years will meet or exceed what Joe Flacco has done here?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

We won a SB? lol

Our defense was pretty damn good between 08 and 2011. Before Flacco got here, we still had some pretty good years too, it's not like we where losing every year.
    More like every other year.

But seriously...I think I get your point(s), but in a way it sounds a bit like you want to have your cake and eat it too. The Ravens made their cap bed, and it had nothing to do with Joe Flacco. It DID have everything to do with: Ngata, Suggs, Reed, Lewis, Birk, and others. So now what? Joe's supposed to offer up a home town discount to balance out the FO's indiscretion when it comes to the cap? Sorry...I don't think so. MAYBE if the team had at least shown Joe some respect and TRIED its BEST to build an offense to support him. But the O-line has stunk almost the entire time Joe's been here; the WRs are middle of the pack at best; and the decision to bring back Cameron at the start of this season just blew. So maybe...what's best for Joe isn't necessarily what's best for the Ravens, if you're seriously suggesting that he should take less just to have the privilege of staying here.

Blog Entries

We won a SB? lol

Defenses cannot win a championship anymore. This isn't 2000.

You have to have competent offensive play.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Defenses cannot win a championship anymore. This isn't 2000.

You have to have competent offensive play.
    But can you win a SB with average play at the QB position? I think you can, Eli Manning did in 2008, Ben Roethlisberger did in 2006 and somewhat in 2009 too.

Yes offensive competence is important, but I'm not sure if you need an elite QB to have that. Either way, Flacco isn't an elite QB, and probably will never become one, but the general agreement around here is that we can win with Flacco as the starting QB, but need a better supporting cast. Otherwise, we need a new QB if we don't have that supporting cast, because I don't think Flacco will ever be good enough to win us a championship off his arm.

And to answer your previous question... Johnny Football.

Blog Entries

Once again another guy not understanding my point fully. This is all assuming Flacco is still looking for top 5 money. If Flacco signs with the deal he was originally offered, then I'd be happy with that. My argument was not that Flacco was good enough, we all know that he's good enough. My argument was that he isn't good enough without a supporting cast, and we can't afford a supporting cast when we're giving Flacco 14 million a year.
    I'm at a loss as to why people don't understand your premise. It's like somehow if Flacco does get a 16-18 mil a year contract it would validate that he's "elite". At this point it would not make good business sense to invest that much into him, since he's proven that he cannot carry this team.

Theres no way Flacco gets top 5 money. He probably gets around Schaub's salary, especially if they get one and done this year. sadly, now that Cam is gone, the OL/WR in-effectiveness is getting exposed more to folks. The Raven's talent window closed, they should have gone to the SB last year, and could you imagine if they went and won? what do you guys think that wouldve did to Flacco's contract leverage? wild right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I'm at a loss as to why people don't understand your premise. It's like somehow if Flacco does get a 16-18 mil a year contract it would validate that he's "elite". At this point it would not make good business sense to invest that much into him, since he's proven that he cannot carry this team.
    Well, thanks for understanding my point lol.

I think people don't even read half of what I write and just see me as a Flacco basher, I'm not, I'm just realistic about him. He simply is not worth 14 million in the 2013 season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    More like every other year.

But seriously...I think I get your point(s), but in a way it sounds a bit like you want to have your cake and eat it too. The Ravens made their cap bed, and it had nothing to do with Joe Flacco. It DID have everything to do with: Ngata, Suggs, Reed, Lewis, Birk, and others. So now what? Joe's supposed to offer up a home town discount to balance out the FO's indiscretion when it comes to the cap? Sorry...I don't think so. MAYBE if the team had at least shown Joe some respect and TRIED its BEST to build an offense to support him. But the O-line has stunk almost the entire time Joe's been here; the WRs are middle of the pack at best; and the decision to bring back Cameron at the start of this season just blew. So maybe...what's best for Joe isn't necessarily what's best for the Ravens, if you're seriously suggesting that he should take less just to have the privilege of staying here.
    How would it be a ''home town discount''? He hasn't played like he deserves the money he's asking for, that's the silver lining right there. Guys like Ray Rice, Suggs, Lewis and Ngata earned their big pay days, and got what pretty much any other team would have paid them. Flacco has earned his, but he certainly has not earned top 5 money.

Well, thanks for understanding my point lol.

I think people don't even read half of what I write and just see me as a Flacco basher, I'm not, I'm just realistic about him. He simply is not worth 14 million in the 2013 season.
    Right there with you guys...

But whatever. The FO will do whatever they do. I'll still root for the Ravens... even if I think they make a bad decision.