Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Yes you are. Because what we have are not "glaring deficiencies". We just have come to the realization that if we are keeping an immobile statue of a quarterback who turns the ball over regularly and stares down his primary receiver we are going to need upgrades. Better quarterbacks could win with what we have had over the past 4 plus seasons.
    Flacco's not immobile, but he's been coached to play that way--compare how much movement he showed his first 3 years with what we've seen the last 2.

No arguing that for 2 seasons now he's had issues with ball security--but these are correctable, the question is why haven't they been corrected?

He doesn't stare down his primary receiver that often or he'd have a lot more picks. But when he does stare them down, it seems to be at the worst possible moment lately.

As for better qb's could win with what we have had, the Ravens were 2 dropped passes and a Greg Mattison 3 man rush away from beating the Steelers in the AFCG, and another dropped pass and missed FG away from being in the Super Bowl.

As for QBs playing better? With Cam Cameron accepting no input from anyone usually? With the other D knowing EXACTLY WHAT we're about to do before we do it, and knowing that we are going to KEEP DOING IT because in Cam's vocabulary "adjustment" is a nasty 4-letter word? And behind an O-Line that has been makeshift the past 2 years when Grubbs went down/left, and Birk got old, and Oher/Yanda got hurt in the playoffs but stayed in the games and got dominated? Oh and with receivers who CANNOT beat man to man press coverage and struggle to get separation in general? Or do you think Greg Cossell of NFL Films is LYING or is WRONG when he raises these issues--and blames the scheme and playcalling for the most part?

Flacco IS part of the problem, but if you think another QB would have fared any better...

Because he is not the only problem, and up until recently he was not one of the main problems.

But lately he is...the question is WHY?

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    What about the Ravens FO paying Ngata, Lewis, Reed, and Suggs more than the entire offense? That's gonna cripple your ability to compete more than paying Joe to be honest with you. Considering their contributions to this years team, we are pretty damn lucky we are 9-5 right now. Sure its mostly due to injuries but they still count. Not a good ROI.
    So what would make a good ROI then? Being one or two games better at this point in the season? Or winning the superbowl? Because if it's the superbowl then it's a little premature to go with "Not a good ROI" line.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Yes you are. Because what we have are not "glaring deficiencies". We just have come to the realization that if we are keeping an immobile statue of a quarterback who turns the ball over regularly and stares down his primary receiver we are going to need upgrades. Better quarterbacks could win with what we have had over the past 4 plus seasons.
    Hmmm. So we have no glaring defiencies on the OL despite the fact that we have a natural RT playing LT, musical chairs at the left guard position, a rookie RT going through his growing pains and an over the hill center who gets bullied often.

4. Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Hmmm. So we have no glaring defiencies on the OL despite the fact that we have a natural RT playing LT, musical chairs at the left guard position, a rookie RT going through his growing pains and an over the hill center who gets bullied often.
    It's actually worse than that.

What we have is a natural guard playing LT, musical chairs at both guard positions, and a rookie RT who projected more as a guard coming out of college who hasn't looked the same since suffering a severely sprained ankle against the Texans.

You did get the part about the center perfectly correct though.

I still cannot wrap my head around how Alex Smith improves this football team. When we talk about wins and losses with Flacco, then the detractors turn instantly to "well look at his stats". Well Alex Smith statistically is a worse QB than Joe Flacco. The man threw 1 touchdown his rookie year. ONE. He's been benched multiple times, and was almost not a part of the 49'ers at all at one point.

I don't get it.

Wow, armchair coaches will have a lot to say when Flacco goes somewhere else to make the money he wants, leaving the Ravens with Tyrod and someone they either draft or sign for big bucks. Lose 3 games and people lose their minds. There is no one QB this year who hasn't had a bad game or sucked royally.Blaming Joe for all that is wrong( two weeks ago it was Cameron) is just what the know it alls want to do.Win or lose ,Ravens football has been interesting.This forum is for fans to talk about whats going on, lately some feel the need to go overboard on their feelings which is getting boring to me. Typically the same posters, who like the national media, strike up the band with their continuing attitude of what should be done. The Ravens will take the neccessary steps to be competitive meanwhile spending with in their budget. Without Flacco and the rest of the team, sundays would be totally different. If Flacco leaves for greener pastures, I'll be cheering for him because he is a QB who plays with what he has and handles it very businness like.

We have a defense that leaks like a sieve (injuries and FA losses)
    We have an offensive line that leaks like a sieve
    We seem to have an inordinate number of drops at key moments IMO
    We have an offensive system that we all agree is best described as dated and inadequate
    We misuse our all pro running back, we do not use his capable backup (Pierce) as much as he should

Somehow despite that we are 9-5 ....yea 9-5. So yea lets dump the QB who has managed to HELP make that happen. You can sit there and say Joe has nothing to do with them being 9-5 but if not Joe then who??? According to some on this board his coach (Harbaugh) sucks, the defense is certainly not carrying this team and Ray Rice is so under utilized I hardly think its ENTIRELY his doing. Wanna blast Joe for losses and poor performance, how about giving him some credit for finding ways to help the team win? It does not happen on its own.

Personally if the guy can go 9-5 despite all that has gone wrong this year, I wanna see what he can do in a new offensive system and with a defense and Oline that are shored up and improved even if there are limits on how we go about doing that. QB who know how to win and produce those results are a valuable commodity. Say what you will about Joe he has proven he can win with pieces around him. That counts for hell of lot more than most people give credit for. Franchise him if you cant reach a reasonable deal.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

8. Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I still cannot wrap my head around how Alex Smith improves this football team. When we talk about wins and losses with Flacco, then the detractors turn instantly to "well look at his stats". Well Alex Smith statistically is a worse QB than Joe Flacco. The man threw 1 touchdown his rookie year. ONE. He's been benched multiple times, and was almost not a part of the 49'ers at all at one point.

I don't get it.
    But recently Alex Smith has put up better QBR than Flacco in a better system with better coaching and better players.

So he must be at least as good as Flacco if not better.

What's not to get about that? :grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

I don't get it.
    Alex Smith has lost his job to a rookie. I have seen a fair amount of him over the past several years, if you think peoples heads explode over what Joe does, Alex will cause this board to go nuclear. Sure he looks like a decent game manager on a good team but If Alex were the QB of this team, this year with all that has gone wrong, I would expect us to be 5-9 not 9-5. He is not the answer.

Vick turns the ball over like mad and is constantly concussed. Flynn has not proven a damn thing and could not beat out Russell Wilson. Kolb sucks so bad he cant even unseat a bunch of other sucky guys in Arizona. Cousins is not for sale as far as I know and if he were you know the Skins would jack the price up. Joe is the best option even if it limits you in terms of sexy FA pickups. In this league, drafting will determine your success. If the Ravens cant draft better they will slide, if they draft better they will rebound, simple as that.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

The same textbook fallacies repeated over and over as if they haven't already been thoroughly addressed the first 3 dozen times they were trotted out there.

Good for amusement, I guess. Or maybe good for the purposes of studying human psychology. But not so good for the purposes of a meaningful discussion of Flacco and the Ravens QB situation.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    So what would make a good ROI then? Being one or two games better at this point in the season? Or winning the superbowl? Because if it's the superbowl then it's a little premature to go with "Not a good ROI" line.
    My point is that paying so many vet superstars on one side is not a smart recipe for success, especially when its a very good possibility that these olders guys will get hurt. They are expensive so its likely not gonna be a good ROI. Honestly, they should have already let Lewis and Reed go by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Kolb sucks so bad he cant even unseat a bunch of other sucky guys in Arizona.
    This has to be my favorite line of the day.