Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post

An LT who can't handle Speed Rushers (in a time where most teams have one or two)

3 different starters at LG

An older C whose most assuredly gone next year

A struggling (but promising) RT

Receivers that struggle to gain separation

A OC who (FACT) refused to make in-game adjustments

^^^^^All the above are problems that everyone on the board has acknowledge as true but yet we don't have any glaring deficiencies?
    All true. I should have been more specific. A better quarterback would have won a championship with the teams from '09-'11.

What about the Ravens FO paying Ngata, Lewis, Reed, and Suggs more than the entire offense? That's gonna cripple your ability to compete more than paying Joe to be honest with you. Considering their contributions to this years team, we are pretty damn lucky we are 9-5 right now. Sure its mostly due to injuries but they still count. Not a good ROI.

An LT who can't handle Speed Rushers (in a time where most teams have one or two)

3 different starters at LG

An older C whose most assuredly gone next year

A struggling (but promising) RT

Receivers that struggle to gain separation

A OC who (FACT) refused to make in-game adjustments

^^^^^All the above are problems that everyone on the board has acknowledge as true but yet we don't have any glaring deficiencies?
    Explain to me how you fix those problems when you're paying an average QB big money?

Paying Flacco big money will cripple this team for years. IMO, he's shown that he can't carry a team. That's basically what you're asking him to do if you sign him for big money.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post

No, you aren't the only one that finds it funny.

I don't find it that funny because each play and game are different. People can make judgments about how well Joe handles pressure regardless of whether he is put in the position of being pressured 15 times per game vs 10 times per game like an average situation.

If people claim that judgments cannot be made at the micro rather than macro level about a QB's performance then Sanchez also could be an awesome QB trapped in a crap system. His receivers are worse, his O-line is no better, his RB is worse, etc, etc. Same with Colt McCoy or Brandon Weeden, and so on.

If people think that our surrounding talent and coaching is so much worse than the average team to make league-worst three-and-outs and multiple-quarter periods of scoreless ineptitude expected than I would simply disagree and suggest people watch more football.

I also think that there are dozens of QBs in the league who could look great if they were given 5,6,7 seconds to choose between 2,3,4 receivers who were 7,8,9 yards open, but that no QB enjoys that situation (though people imply that they do).

In addition, all of these circumstances can be helped by a QB that is mentally sharp, does his film study, and makes proper adjustments and reads.

So when the Colts O-line would allow an average of one sack a game with Peyton, it was only partially (and I would argue a small part) because they were good and largely because Manning was good.

Same goes with receivers getting open. When the QB sees the presnap coverage and can recognize who will be double-covered and therefore not worth the time to check, let alone stare at, and who will be single covered in case of an unexpected rush, then you will see more attempts to "open" guys than otherwise.

Same goes with blitzes. When the QB can recognize it he can not only avoid disasters he can actually use the knowledge to burn the defense, assuming he and the receivers are mentally sharp enough to handle the quick-thinking adjustments.

In terms of reaching a ceiling for a QB the mental aspect of the game is by far the most important variable in that determination. Having a big arm is great. Being accurate is even better. But the ability to understand what you are seeing and how to react (and doing this as fast as possible) is where the great QBs are made.

Obviously, the level and quality of coaching/tutoring in addition to the QBs potential to learn will affect the QBs mental maturation. And I am not sure Joe has been given a fair shake in that department especially in our "play it safe" philosophy that purposely tries to limit situations or reps or learning experiences in order to minimize mistakes now (at the expense of growth later). But I do think it is absolutely fair for people to argue that in their opinion, based on specific situations (regardless of the number of such situations), that Joe may be missing something himself that would prevent "elite" level play. Obviously, people can/would/do disagree with such opinions, but I can't see how they can be considered all that "funny."

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Explain to me how you fix those problems when you're paying an average QB big money?

Paying Flacco big money will cripple this team for years. IMO, he's shown that he can't carry a team. That's basically what you're asking him to do if you sign him for big money.
    I'm of the opinion that he's played himself out of a Top 5 contract and believe it will play out like Rice did last offseason (Ozzie: hey man your good but your not THAT good) barring a Super Bowl victory.

I think this topic is very simple, there simply isnt a better option short term or another scenario to get another QB that wouldnt involve us taking a step back. We don't know if Flacco is a franchise QB, he's shown things to make you say yes and things to make you say no. The Ravens will franchise him and give themselves another year to figure it out. Unfortunately because of Cam's offense and Joe's play the Ravens will have to 1. pay Joe 14 mill or so for next season 2. cut some people to make necessary improvements(which could have been the case anyway, yet to be determined to what extent)

Blog Entries

^agreed. There is no other choice right now other than to sign Flacco to a fair deal or tag him. This is a horrible year for QBs in the draft and free agency. Get another coordinator and see if they can build on things because it's really the only option

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Am I the only one who finds it funny that we're all saying that Flacco isn't good enough to carry a team that has glaring deficiencies at O-line, Wide Receiver and OC? I mean these are basic things that all teams need to run a offense even remotely successfully on an consistent basis lol.
    No, you're not the only one.

Several of us keep pointing these things out, but there are folks on here who refuse to acknowledge that it is even part of the equation. In fact, some even seem to think that Flacco is essentially holding guys like Michael Oher back, which blows my mind. Haha. Maybe all this time Oher has been a future HOF'er?

Acknowledging the blatantly obvious issues on the OL (not even taking into consideration scheme and the receivers) would mean that they can't blame everything on Flacco.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post

#1 - You don't pay an average QB big money. Guess what guys? Flacco isn't going to get big money. He's going to get a decent contract and it may be more than what a QB like Schaub or Romo may get on the open market, but that's the price you pay for a QB. QB's are expensive...even the average guys.

#2 - You draft better. IMO, this is something that cannot be overlooked. The personnel issues that the Ravens are going to have to deal with this off-season are a direct result of poor drafting in consecutive years. You wanna know why the Browns have sucked for so long? It has a lot to do with their inability to draft well. I don't know what happened, but Ozzie and Co have missed a lot more than ever have the past few drafts. I mean, if you take the 2010 draft alone, after this year it is possible that only 2 players out of 7 will still be on the roster next year (Pitta and Art). The draft before? Webb and Oher may be the only guys who remain with the team and 50% of the 2009 draft isn't even in the NFL anymore I believe.

That kind of roster turnover impacts the cap because you have to pay expensive salaries for older guys who probably can't impact as much as they used to (Birk, Kemo, Bobbie Williams, etc) and you basically start over every season with developing young guys who probably aren't remotely close to being ready...and that just makes you have to go out and get stop-gap free agents who are just looking for a pay check and/or on their last leg anyway. This is a BIG problem. You can't hit on every single draft pick, but when you miss more often than you hit, then you are left with having to deal with the situation that the Ravens are going to have to deal with next year.

The only current QB's in the league that could have equal or better success with the offense as it stands right now (system and personnel):

Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    The only current QB's in the league that could have equal or better success with the offense as it stands right now (system and personnel):

Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Yeah right! Even Lloyd's of London would insure them with our line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post

Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Every single one of those QB's have struggled with poor OL play. Peyton's last season with the Colts was still impressive, numbers wise, but he still had a QBR nearly 20 points less than what it is with the Broncos.