Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Flacco's perfromance, contract and future

So looking a bit further ahead, (aside from ruining my January!) what do my compadres around here think are the potential ramifications of Flacco falling on his face to end this season??

If he continues to go out in a thud, I'm wondering if he could actually end up out the door, albeit, not necessarily intentionally.

Obviously, the Ravens are committed to Flacco, but have the opportunity to lower their offer based on how this season ends.

The question is, "how low?"

Too low and the Ravens risk pushing him out the door for greener pastures. And there are a number of teams that would overpay for him. (And in the business you REALLY only need one dumb person to drive the price up.)

So do the experts around here think Ozzie will stick with that original offer based on previos years performance or try to shave some money off?

Blog Entries

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Okay. I just think that the biggest motivator for a player is to play for a team that has a legit shot to win it all. And in that regard, sure, I'd put the Ravens in the list. But the SAINTS? Aside from this year, that'd be a dream come true for an offensive lineman with Grubbs talent, IMO. So that would be THE main motivating factor; not that the team plays in the south. Just my 2 cents, though.

As far as Joe, though...IMO, I think an argument can be made that Joe has done more for the Ravens than the Ravens have done for Joe. And ultimately I think that's going to be the deciding factor in where Joe chooses to play. This whole year has been an effort in frustration for him, and he's taken all the heat. Maybe it's one of those situations where it's in everyone's best interest to start fresh somewhere else (for Joe) and WITH someone else (for the Ravens).
    flacco had no shot in hell when Ozzie kept drafting tackles to play gaurds, not to mention harbaugh fuckin him royally by sticking with Cam Cameron for so long, my question is would the ravens be better without flacco? people for got the some pretty memorable 4th qtr comebacks by Joe. I say to give flacco a fair shake he needs a new system, a young creative mind that has experience. I don't like norv turner i think that a bad hire, no more croyell system, put joe in a west coast hyrbrid system take his strengths and go from there, get the man freakin GOOD OLINE and stop letting that worthless crap of of LT mike oher block for him. Get Joe into a position where he can succeed. I think Ozzie and John should get more blame for joes inconsistencies than Joe himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    flacco had no shot in hell when Ozzie kept drafting tackles to play gaurds, not to mention harbaugh fuckin him royally by sticking with Cam Cameron for so long, my question is would the ravens be better without flacco? people for got the some pretty memorable 4th qtr comebacks by Joe. I say to give flacco a fair shake he needs a new system, a young creative mind that has experience. I don't like norv turner i think that a bad hire, no more croyell system, put joe in a west coast hyrbrid system take his strengths and go from there, get the man freakin GOOD OLINE and stop letting that worthless crap of of LT mike oher block for him. Get Joe into a position where he can succeed. I think Ozzie and John should get more blame for joes inconsistencies than Joe himself.
    I really hear ya! I shuddered when I read that other thread that said Turner might be the guy to take over the offense next year. The Ravens just don't have the personnel to run that sort of Air Coryell offense, IMO. And even if they bring in someone else, I'm just not sure the Ravens are capable of putting Joe in the best possible position to win, even if they do somehow work out a long term contract.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    You're making a lot of assumptions. The Ravens have a LOT of holes, have NOT done what they've needed to do to bolster this offense, and to assume that Joe will be smart to stay here because "here = winning; somewhere else = losing" is just not all that bright, IMO. Not under the current situation.
    Did you respond to the wrong comment? ...b/c I have no idea how you landed on the above based upon what I said below. There are no assumptions there nor am I implying that "somewhere else = losing". I'm actually saying that "here" (with no upgrades to the OL b/c we have very little money to spend after caving to some top tier market value contract "=losing"

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    No. And that's not even a good question in the context of what's being argued here and you know it.

Pretty much by definition he WILL get as big a pay day as he can get...all UFAs do. That's what "market" means. This is the QB position we're talking about...you know that position that's just about solely responsible for winning games. Winning.

If he doesn't want to win here then sure keep pressing the ceiling...and keep losing across most of your 5-6 years too b/c its going to take a few to construct a quality line through the Draft.

Re: Flacco's perfromance, contract and future

If we let him walk, team after team would be lined up to get him. He has immense talent, but is just horribly inconsistent. Given his age and success in such a young career, I think a lot of teams would live with those qualities and try to coach the flaws out of him. Having said all that, he certainly has not justified us paying him Drew Brees-type money. This is shaping up to be arguably the most important decision in franchise history, one that could make or break us. Considering it is just so hard to find a franchise QB, my guess is Joe receives the franchise tag and they give him next year in presumably a new offense to prove his full worth.

Not trying to hijack the thread but don't be surprised if this gets merged with all the other Joe Flacco threads.
    I think the Ravens will Franchise him for sure. Long term who knows what happens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    If we let him walk, team after team would be lined up to get him. He has immense talent, but is just horribly inconsistent. Given his age and success in such a young career, I think a lot of teams would live with those qualities and try to coach the flaws out of him. Having said all that, he certainly has not justified us paying him Drew Brees-type money. This is shaping up to be arguably the most important decision in franchise history, one that could make or break us. Considering it is just so hard to find a franchise QB, my guess is Joe receives the franchise tag and they give him next year in presumably a new offense to prove his full worth.
    Exactly. Teams will line up to court Flacco. Teams look at a guy like Flacco and see that he's consistently won. Maybe he hasn't been consistent playing wise, but I would assume that a team could figure that they could put Flacco in a system which would play to his strengths and work with him. It's really hard to find a QB in this league.

Blog Entries

We really don't know what we have in Joe, this FO and coaching staff fucked him by keepin Cam way too long now we don't know what flacco could have done under a better OC a more creative OC, a season under that situation would give this FO an idea if flacco is really the franchise QB they had hope for, to be fair to Joe Ozzie didn't set him up for success either giving him tackles for gaurds and movie magic Oher to protect his blind side. On the flip side Flaccos price has gone down thanks to his piss poor performance this season, no way his ass thinks he still deserves that kinda money.

Blog Entries

These are the teams that I think would dump the QB they have in favor of Flacco. Flacco would only need one of them to be willing to overpay him. Still, It is a big gamble to overpay Flacco, therby hamstringing your cap for years to come.

Definately
    Jets
    Bills
    Browns
    Jags
    Chiefs
    Raiders
    Eagles
    Cardinals

Probably
    Titans
    Vikings

Maybe
    Bucs

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    These are the teams that I think would dump the QB they have in favor of Flacco. Flacco would only need one of them to be willing to overpay him. Still, It is a big gamble to overpay Flacco, therby hamstringing your cap for years to come.

Definately
    Jets -- no cap room
    Bills
    Browns -- just drafted weeden
    Jags
    Chiefs
    Raiders
    Eagles
    Cardinals

Probably
    Titans
    Vikings

Maybe
    Bucs

Blog Entries

bouy Joe would need round the clock counseling in Philly

Blog Entries

Teams will only be lining up if Flacco is asking for something reasonable. If he is still looking for top 5 money the list of teams that will pay him that will be very short, if any.