Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Can you imagine how bad this team would be if we gave Flacco Drew Brees money? You can say good bye to back to back play offs.
    Frankly, Drew Brees doesn't even deserve Drew Brees numbers and the Saints will take a hit talent wise in the next few years. Unless they continue to tank like they are now and earn high draft picks.

I've said before Flacco is a damned if you do and if you don't scenario. If you pay him and keep him, you can't put the talent that he needs around him. If you let him walk, you really don't have another viable option at this point and good starting QB's are hard to replace. They don't grow on trees.

Whichever mess the Ravens end up in (an overpaid QB or no QB), it's their own fault. For 1 they should have let Cameron go 2 years ago, so that they could figure out who the problem really was. For 2, they need to stop waiting until the last year of the rookie deals to re-sign their free agents. Sure when you sign a guy early you lose that last year or two of dirt cheap labor but you also open up more cap space down the line by setting the market yourself and not allowing other more desperate teams to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    And I think there was a feature on Pro Football Focus about how Manning actually played better under pressure than when he was NOT pressured last year. It's not the first time a QB has done that, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers both play great under pressure, in part because when elite QBs face heavy pressure it usually means the defense is selling out and has holes on the back end. Elite QBs exploit that.

No matter how you feel about Flacco, over the last two years it's inarguable that he has simply crumbled whenever he's faced pressure, and that's going to be a big obstacle to him breaking into another level. The vast majority of NFL QBs look great when given plenty of time in the pocket, so what he does from a dirty pocket is what has the chance to separate him from the pack. So far it's not been pretty, although he was actually better under pressure in 09 and 10.
    Its also where the Offense opened up to CAM's 9 routes and slow bends instead of cuts.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    What you seem to fail to recognize is how bad this team will be without Joe. Maybe you've conveniently forgotten how horrible this offense was BEFORE Joe got here. I haven't.
    We won a SB before Joe got here and had a 13-3 seasons (best in Franchise history) it wasn't like we where a terrible franchise before he got here.

So Flacco is going to get paid a ton of money that is clearly more than he is worth, and is going to look like an all pro on the Buffalo Bills? Ok.
    Exactly.

smh

We won a SB before Joe got here and had a 13-3 seasons (best in Franchise history) it wasn't like we where a terrible franchise before he got here.
    The Ravens offense WAS terrible before Joe got here, particularly at the QB position. Period.

Blog Entries

The Ravens offense WAS terrible before Joe got here, particularly at the QB position. Period.
    This offense will also be terrible when Joe has no talent to work with when we can't afford anybody to help him out. It's pretty awful as it is.

This offense will also be terrible when Joe has no talent to work with when we can't afford anybody to help him out. It's pretty awful as it is.
    You mean...like it is now, right? It's pretty hard to keep making that argument, man. You really just made the case for how much Joe has managed to do with the crappy supporting cast around him. Quit while you're at least not too far behind.

;)

Blog Entries

You sound like a spoiled little child who wants what he wants when he wants it. You think Joe should take less money for the "privilege" of staying here? Guess what? He's a grown man, and will make the decisions that are best for him and his family. The Ravens as they are currently constructed are less likely to go all that far over the next couple of years. I'd be willing to wager that Joe w/o the Ravens will go further than the Ravens w/o Joe. How's that?
    Wouldn't that depend on what team he signed with.

McKinnie KO Birk Yanda Oher

Not as the starting line is almost like sabotage. That damn doghouse needs a few sticks of C4!

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Wouldn't that depend on what team he signed with.
    To a certain extent, sure. But there really are few teams that have a worse O-line, coaching staff, and WR group than the Ravens. I'm sure with a little effort, Joe and his agent could find a team that's an upgrade, on offense at least, over the Ravens.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I've already stated I have no problem with the Ravens offering what they feel is the right amount. AND I have no problem with Joe not accepting that amount. It's a TWO WAY STREET. YOU want to lock Joe into taking something he feels is too low. I'm saying BOTH sides are a part of this negotiation, and if they can't come to an agreement, they can't come to an agreement, is all. Joe's not a slave; he has the right to choose whatever he wants. What I do believe is that Joe will fare better elsewhere than the Ravens will fare without Joe as the QB. I also believe the Ravens created this mess by not building a better offense around Joe that would have made him want to stay here, and by prioritizing other areas other than the offense for years.
    So this entire situation is everyone's fault except Joe's? I don't want to paint you in an unfair light, but I think you've backed yourself into a corner here. You appear to place your fan-hood and appreciation more in Joe Flacco than in the Baltimore Ravens. That's fine, I actually have no problem with that, but it needs to be acknowledged. If I'm wrong, tell me so, but if I'm right I think there's a fundamental disconnect that renders this discussion moot.

I like Joe Flacco and I wish him success. As a member of the Baltimore Ravens I wish him all the football success in the world, Super Bowls every year, etc. etc.

If he were to no longer be a member of the Baltimore Ravens, I would still wish him all the football success in the world--except against the Ravens. Only one team can hoist the Lombardi at the end of the year, and I would prefer it to be the Ravens, not Joe Flacco's team. I would continue to wish him all the personal success in the world, of course. He's a good young man and I appreciate what he has done and is doing for us. But he is not bigger than the team just as much as Jarret Johnson, Cory Redding, Jamie Sharper, Jamal Lewis, etc. etc. were not bigger than the team.

I don't know if the Ravens have handled this entire situation optimally, but what I do know is that there is no changing the past. In the present, right now, we can't afford to pay Joe Flacco what he clearly isn't worth. Ultimately, it's up to him to sign on the dotted line. I hope the two sides negotiate down to a position that works, but if they can't get to a place where both are comfortable, it will end with Flacco walking away from an offer, and it's irrelevant whether that offer was "disrespectful" or whatever. All that matters is that team management have to do what is best for the team.

Blog Entries

To a certain extent, sure. But there really are few teams that have a worse O-line, coaching staff, and WR group than the Ravens. I'm sure with a little effort, Joe and his agent could find a team that's an upgrade, on offense at least, over the Ravens.
    omg... you actually believe that?

I seem to remember all the talk about how the Denver Broncos had zero talent on offense before Manning came to town, how they had no targets and one of the worse Olines in football. Suddenly Peyton has made them all look like all pros.

It's funny how AnQuan Boldin was an out and out pro bowler before he came to Baltimore, and now he's apart of of one of the worse WR core in the league?

It isn't the most talented offense in the league, maybe not even a top 10/12, but it certainly isn't among the worst units in the NFL.