Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

I know a lot of you are going to hate reading this and I will no doubt receive some abuse for this, but it should not be in the Ravens best interest to pay Flacco the money he asked for in the offseason.

Even franchise tagging him will cost us 14 million for 2013, if we do that, we will need some good picks in the draft if we want any chance at continuing to compete for a championship. I hope Flacco comes back down to earth for what he's worth and takes the offer we gave him in the offseason, or I'm really starting to think if he'll even be a Raven next season. He's a good QB, but he has proven this year that he cannot win games consistently without a supporting cast. We won't be able to give him that supporting cast if he cripples our cap.

We need to sign a number of players on defense, and concentrate on fixing this offense through the draft because it's a total mess, especially on the Oline. This team needs a complete overhaul in the trenches, and giving Flacco over 100 million over the next few years should not be part of the Ravens long term plans.

Sorry to say, but it's true, if you think this year has been bad, it's nothing to what would happen in the next few years. At least we've won 9 games and have a very good shot at winning another division title.

Blog Entries

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Honestly, I think this topic is now moot. IMO, the ship has sailed on Flacco getting anywhere near the kind of contract that he has been asking for, from anyone. Barring a drastic turnaround, Flacco has cost himself tens of millions of dollars over the past few weeks. No team is going to give him a $100+ million contract, and I still think that the Ravens will put a higher value on him than any other team will. Maybe Ozzie should just let Flacco test the FA market, and say that the Ravens will match or slightly exceed the best offer he can get. It was a humbling experience for Ray Lewis, and I think it will be for Flacco as well. He will get a good offer by some team, due to the dearth of QB talent out there, but nowhere near the kind of money he and his agent were looking for.

Blog Entries

Does this team stand a chance of competing without Joe Flacco?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The team has a chance at competing with an average QB or with a game manager at QB if we can get back to playing elite defense, and can pound the ball all day behind an elite Oline. We won't have the luxury of that while giving Flacco big money. Flacco has shown that he's no more than slightly above game manager status this year.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The team has a chance at competing with an average QB or with a game manager at QB if we can get back to playing elite defense, and can pound the ball all day behind an elite Oline. We won't have the luxury of that while giving Flacco big money. Flacco has shown that he's no more than slightly above game manager status this year.
    So do you think Alex Smith or Matt Flynn will last in this tough division?

Quote Originally Posted by D-RavedUp5-27-52-20 View Post
    No, that is the one thing that I truely do love about Flacco.....his durabililty. The man will take his hits and get back up, you have got to love that.

Blog Entries

I agree with the OP. I don't see the progression from Flacco that would lead me to believe he is capable of heading an offense that consistently scores to take the pressure off a now porous defense. We can definitely win a SB with him, but not because of him. He hasn't shown that he can carry us to a championship. He needs help at receiver, LT, C, pass rusher, ILB, FS, offensive coordinator and HC.

Blog Entries

Is the NFC West really soft? All four of those defenses are good, three of them are in the top 10. They all like to pound the ball, I'd say the NFC West has been more physical through the past two seasons as a whole than the AFC North has been.

I think Alex Smith is tougher than we think, and maybe isn't as DURABLE as Flacco, but to answer the question, yes I think he could survive in this division until we find someone else in the draft. Alex Smith would be purely a stop gap. Matt Flynn, none of us know how durable he is, as he's only started one game in his career.

I like Alex Smith got a raw deal with Singletary, under the other Harbaugh just produces period. The AFCN is NOT a tough division anymore. The NFL rules committee got rid of tough football. Smith can run and make plays with his legs unlike Joe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    So, we would still have to darn near rework the team for what you are suggesting to happen.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It depends on who takes his spot at QB. The answer is defintly not Tyrod Taylor, that is for sure. I am not as big of a Flacco supporter as I use to be but I have not given up on him quite yet. I almost prefer a franchise tag on him just to see what he can do for one more year. Unfortunatly that would mean to not expect a lot of Free Agent talents coming in and solely relying on hitting draft picks.

I disagree with you Leach. I dont see the FO overpaying Flacco or getting rid of him. I believe he will stay a Raven. As far as the rest of other needs i think the FO can also find pieces in the draft or FA or possibly both. But saying we wouldn't compete if paying Flacco I dont get that statement. Its silly man.