Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I get that. But it seemed like W.S. was saying that Joe's camp had come down in their financial expectations and would be asking for less money for a long term deal. That's what I was asking about.
    That's not really what I said at all.

Everyone here is flipping out because Joe said he thought he was a top QB in the NFL (and fail to follow that up with Joe's caveat that he thinks every QB should think they are a top QB...which adds a completely un-arrogant context to the statement...but whatever) and his agent said that they were looking for a top contract.

1 - what the fuck does "top contract" even mean? Ray Rice's agent said the same thing...Rice got paid, but he got a market value deal and not some retarded contract that the Titans unwisely gave Chris Johnson.

2 - we don't know how Joe's performance is going to impact negotiations once the season is over. To imply that Flacco is still going to demand "top" dollar and that's it is just kind of...dramatic.

If anything, this season should be a testament that Joe can't carry a team by his lonesome. Maybe he'll get to that point later in his career. Maybe he won't. However, if they want to win now (which I have to assume that they do...because winning = more $$$ for everyone in the long run), then Flacco's camp AND the Raven's Camp need to find a solution that allows the team to provide a better supporting cast.

That does not mean Flacco is a game manager. That just means he can't do it all on his own. Even Peyton Manning needed Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and a hell of an offensive line to win a SB. Tom Brady needed excellent OL's, Corey Dillon, and a standout defense to win a SB. Eli needed Plaxico Burress, a good OL, Tiki Barber, and a ferocious defense to win it all. I doubt anyone would call Eli a game manager. And while Roethlisberger can shake off would-be-sacks, he still needed Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, and a top defense to win a SB.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's not really what I said at all.

Everyone here is flipping out because Joe said he thought he was a top QB in the NFL (and fail to follow that up with Joe's caveat that he thinks every QB should think they are a top QB...which adds a completely un-arrogant context to the statement...but whatever) and his agent said that they were looking for a top contract.

1 - what the fuck does "top contract" even mean? Ray Rice's agent said the same thing...Rice got paid, but he got a market value deal and not some retarded contract that the Titans unwisely gave Chris Johnson.

2 - we don't know how Joe's performance is going to impact negotiations once the season is over. To imply that Flacco is still going to demand "top" dollar and that's it is just kind of...dramatic.

If anything, this season should be a testament that Joe can't carry a team by his lonesome. Maybe he'll get to that point later in his career. Maybe he won't. However, if they want to win now (which I have to assume that they do...because winning = more $$$ for everyone in the long run), then Flacco's camp AND the Raven's Camp need to find a solution that allows the team to provide a better supporting cast.

That does not mean Flacco is a game manager. That just means he can't do it all on his own. Even Peyton Manning needed Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and a hell of an offensive line to win a SB. Tom Brady needed excellent OL's, Corey Dillon, and a standout defense to win a SB. Eli needed Plaxico Burress, a good OL, Tiki Barber, and a ferocious defense to win it all. I doubt anyone would call Eli a game manager. And while Roethlisberger can shake off would-be-sacks, he still needed Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, and a top defense to win a SB.
    Thanks. And that all makes perfect sense. But if the Ravens offer one amount, which represents fair market value, and another team offers something above fair market value, aside from the franchise tag next season, is there any reason you could think of why Joe would take the Ravens offer over the other offer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Leach we don't know what the Ravens offered him.
    There were several reports back in camp saying that he was looking for top 5 money, Joe Linta even said so him self. Kevin Bryne actually came out and answered a question of someones regarding Flacco's contract situation. He pretty much said that the offer is on the table, but he's asking for too much money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Now I know you're joking. Dude is barely 6' and 200lbs. He doesn't have a big arm at all. He's elusive and makes plays with his feet, but if you think he'd be any better than Flacco in the NFL...I don't know man. I wonder about you sometimes...

John Manziel is a more athletic Colt McCoy.

And to answer your question about avg QB play...I think you can win a SB with avg QB play as long as you have a strong supporting cast. You yourself have claimed that Flacco is avg and when he's on he can play up to a good and sometimes great level. So, why can't he win a championship in Baltimore?

If you're still harping on the financial issue, then you're getting worked up for no reason because frankly there hasn't been a damn word about the contract stuff since the summer. I can guarantee you that Flacco and his agent have come back down to earth big time because this season has not nearly gone the way they had hoped it would.

How many folks thought that Rice wouldn't sign? He did and for a deal significantly less than what Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson signed for.
    Oh comon, I wasn't serious about that. But you have to wonder sometimes with the success Seattle have had with Russell Wilson, when nobody thought he'd even be a starter in the league at his size.

To those of you who think that we should trade Joe/let him walk, then sign Alex Smith or Matt Flynn as a stop gap, then draft a better QB in 2013/14/15, my question is this:

Given this FO's track record in recent years regarding the draft, what makes you so confident they CAN draft a better QB?
    For that matter what makes you think this coaching staff is capable of developing one?

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    To those of you who think that we should trade Joe/let him walk, then sign Alex Smith or Matt Flynn as a stop gap, then draft a better QB in 2013/14/15, my question is this:

Given this FO's track record in recent years regarding the draft, what makes you so confident they CAN draft a better QB?
    For that matter what makes you think this coaching staff is capable of developing one?

This town would go apeshit if Joe left then goes on to a team and wins 3-4 Superbowls....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    This town would go apeshit if Joe left then goes on to a team and wins 3-4 Superbowls....
    That would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    That would be hilarious.
    Not to me but I can tell ya I would shove it in many peoples FACES!!

Blog Entries

Not to me but I can tell ya I would shove it in many peoples FACES!!
    Me too.

Blog Entries

Just as I would shove it in peoples faces if he went and turned out to be nothing more than an average QB on a shit team.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Just as I would shove it in peoples faces if he went and turned out to be nothing more than an average QB on a shit team.
    LOL dude we know what AXE you grind. Can you give it a fking rest already.

One more thing to keep in mind.

Would John Harbaugh be willing to bank his job on Alex Smith?
    Because if Alex comes here and stinks up the joint then what's Harbs' excuse?
    After all, his brother Jim was able to turn Alex Smith into a second tier QB.

So why couldn't John?

Given how Harbs is already in trouble over how he handled Cam and failing to win with Alex would only stoke the flames under his seat--not to mention further expose his deficiencies as a coach--would Harbs be willing to take that risk?

Well isn't that one of the knocks on Harbs, that he is risk adverse?

You guys who are clamoring for Alex Smith haven't looked at this from all angles, especially from Harbs' point of view.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post

Despite recent history, Ozzie still has an awesome track history of drafting all pro's, just look at Ray Rice. Torrey Smith is someone I think can become a Mike Wallace type player, and even Joe Flacco was a great pick, it's just he isn't a top 5 QB and shouldn't be paid like one.

Blog Entries

LOL dude we know what AXE you grind. Can you give it a fking rest already.
    Lol well I'm not the one who wants Flacco to go to another team and beat us. Always the team over the player, even if it is the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Lol well I'm not the one who wants Flacco to go to another team and beat us. Always the team over the player, even if it is the QB.
    Well I guess what you read is not what you remember. I said

But I guess the AXE ain't the only thing not sharp.