Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Sounds like it could be a possible conspiracy...

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Well, they were 9-2 at the time he wrote that article.........
    Maybe Mckinnie being benched has nothing to do with his on field performance. This guy has been made to sound like a low life in the media. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But if he is then its possible the team just wants no association with him regardless of being an upgrade on the field.

They won't release him because then some other team would get him for free since the Ravens are on the hook for his contract this season. And if they cut him at the end of the year don't they get compensatory picks if someone else signs him?

Now this flies in the face of Ozzie, who has had no qualms about drafting or signing convicted felons right out of the pokey. But Harbaugh and Bisciotti weren't around then. Maybe character issues mean something to the Ravens now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Maybe Mckinnie being benched has nothing to do with his on field performance. This guy has been made to sound like a low life in the media. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But if he is then its possible the team just wants no association with him regardless of being an upgrade on the field.

They won't release him because then some other team would get him for free since the Ravens are on the hook for his contract this season. And if they cut him at the end of the year don't they get compensatory picks if someone else signs him?

Now this flies in the face of Ozzie, who has had no qualms about drafting or signing convicted felons right out of the pokey. But Harbaugh and Bisciotti weren't around then. Maybe character issues mean something to the Ravens now.
    No offense, but I can't buy that theory. McKinnie started every game for the Ravens at LT last season. What happened this off-season that was so awful that would raise "character" flags on McKinnie? He didn't show up in good enough shape? He lied about an injury he suffered at home? Those aren't the kind of things that keep guys with talent on the bench all season in the NFL. Suggs lied about his injury and that didn't affect the way the team treated him. Bisciotti may insist on a more disciplined team than Art did, but he doesn't strike me as some kind of "holy roller". Bisciotti wants to win. I am totally fed up with all of the coach speak BS coming out of Harpuke's mouth about this issue. He was getting away with putting his personal feelings ahead of the interests of the team with regard to Cam because the team was winning. Not anymore. I think the same may be true about the situation with McKinnie. I would love for the FO to make Harbaugh play McKinnie at LT to see what happens. Oher certainly isn't getting it done at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I would love for the FO to make Harbaugh play McKinnie at LT to see what happens. Oher certainly isn't getting it done at that position.
    Well, based on Preston's somewhat cryptic blog from yesterday, that appears to be exactly what may happen this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Preston
    It looks like Ravens coach John Harbaugh might be forced to start or at least use left offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie.

The current two starting tackles, Michael Oher on the left and Kelechi Osemele on the right, have struggled against speed rushers and left guard Jah Reid struggles against everybody. McKinnie probably has some rust, and he might not be in top shape having sat on the bench all season, but at least the Ravens would be attempting to get better after struggles in the past three games.

If McKinnie starts on the left, Oher on the right and Osemele at left guard, it cuts down on the weaknesses on the offensive line. McKinnie has been in Harbaugh's dog house because he doesn't practice well, but when you cut a veterans' salary and garnish his wages, you can expect him to sulk. A good coach finds a way to motivate him, and if he doesn't perform better than the Ravens should have cut him. I imagine that general manager Ozzie Newsome might have spoken to Harbaugh about the situation. McKinnie gets paid to play, not sit on the bench and eat cheeseburgers.

They face the Giants this week and the Bengals the following week. Both teams have outstanding defensive lines that get after quarterbacks. With Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco struggling, it makes sense for Harbaugh to give him as much help as possible.

I don't know if McKinnie is the answer and I'm sure he'll struggle this week after being out of the lineup for such a long period of time. But the Ravens have backed into the playoffs, and by the first game McKinnie should have rounded into form. Right now, he's the best and only option the Ravens have except for remaining status quo, and that hasn't worked -- at least not against the better teams in the NFL.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Lets assume all reports are true --- the Preston report about McKinnie playing and the multiple reports about him being out of shape.

I think it's then safe to conclude we're not going to see the sugar huddle Sunday.

Blog Entries

Keep in mind Denver has one helluva pass rush. Gmen have shown streaks this year but they haven't been nearly as consistent and are currently ranked near the bottom of the league. That'll make your Oline look much better (I hope)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

There has to be more to the McKinney story. With the atrocious line play and Yanda out, there is no way that the Ravens are comfortable putting Jah Reid at guard on the same side as Michael "Turnstyle" Oher.. A line with McKinney at Tackle and Oher on the strong side with Osemele at guard is the only thing that makes sense right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Lets assume all reports are true --- the Preston report about McKinnie playing and the multiple reports about him being out of shape.

I think it's then safe to conclude we're not going to see the sugar huddle Sunday.
    I think using the sugar huddle extensively could be a better strategy during the regular season than in the playoffs anyway. In the playoffs, you are playing better teams with better QBs and more explosive offenses. If you use the sugar huddle on every possession, but have a lot of 3 and outs, you are just giving those opposing offenses additional possessions. You generally want to limit the number of possessions you give Brady or Manning in a game. For all of their talk, the Ravens have not used the sugar huddle extensively this year. It is a good ploy for a few drives per game to try and keep opposing defenses off balance, but not for the entire game.

We may see the "sugar huddle" on Sunday.
    The McKinnie version...where the team slowly moseys up to the line of scrimmage, pulls up their drawers, then stands there with their hands on their knees, rests a tad, takes the playclock down to the very last second...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    We may see the "sugar huddle" on Sunday.
    The McKinnie version...where the team slowly moseys up to the line of scrimmage, pulls up their drawers, then stands there with their hands on their knees, rests a tad, takes the playclock down to the very last second...
    Hey man. If the OL play improves, I'll take it.

10. Re: Sounds like it could be a possible conspiracy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    There has to be more to the McKinney story. With the atrocious line play and Yanda out, there is no way that the Ravens are comfortable putting Jah Reid at guard on the same side as Michael "Turnstyle" Oher.. A line with McKinney at Tackle and Oher on the strong side with Osemele at guard is the only thing that makes sense right now.