Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    This was also the game with the controversial "in-the-grasp" ruling on Bert Jones' fumble on the winning TD at the end of the game.
    Our seats were right by the goal line and I'll never forget that play.
    Sure looked like a fumble to me,we got lucky :)
    Great crowd that game,remember everybody going down on the field after the game.

It was a fumble....

Here is 20min NFL Films highlight show of the 77 Colts/Pats game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1fQc7roYY

Its probably my 1st football memory --- really foggy (was only almost 6 at the time). I remember this game, Ghost to the Post, and the 78 MNF Joe Washington game against the Pats. My only good Colts memories (I guess Ghost to the Post wasnt a great result, but I was excited listening to it on the radio with my Dad)

My Colts experience was bad teams (78-83) without really any hope for success. Some of these Ravens fans should remember that time and be pretty damn thankfully that this 5years of Ravens playoff football is pretty damn special.
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 12-17-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries

AMEN!

Even when the Ravens lose it's an adventure and a hell of a lot better than 12 years of Sundays w/o pro football.

I usually took a nap-l0l.

Just watched the 20 min video of this game. Was this game televised because I think I may have watched it. I had to be 8 years old at the time

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Just watched the 20 min video of this game. Was this game televised because I think I may have watched it. I had to be 8 years old at the time
    I think that game was blacked out also.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I remember that game like it was yesterday. I remember the Lion game. Colts led by 4 with seconds remaining and my father said to me, Lee should take this punt and run into the EZ and take the safety. Then kickoff from the 20 and kick it deep. They wouldnt have had time for FG to win. He was right. Craziest ending I've ever seen in person.
    I was at that game too. I think everyone in the stadium - except Ted, apparently - knew they should have taken the Safety and then punted. Heck, the Lions didn't even have a returner back - all 11 defenders were at the LOS.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I was at that game too. I think everyone in the stadium - except Ted, apparently - knew they should have taken the Safety and then punted. Heck, the Lions didn't even have a returner back - all 11 defenders were at the LOS.
    Ted was a terrible coach, that team could of been so much better. He held them back. Then we fire Belichick when the Browns moved to Baltimore and hire is dumb old arse. In the playoff game I remember a 3rd and 19 Oakland converted by the length of the ball on our 43 to the 26 in OT, terrible pass coverage left the center of the feild wide open for Branch. Had the DC called the right defense with an extra DB in the secondary their might not have been a score and history different.

Biggest difference in football then and now is the QB's are allowed to get away with grounding now, not back then. That has really changed the game moreso than any rule. When football was football.

Oddly enough Marchibroda brought Baltimore good luck, he was kept by Pittsburgh and then they released Unitas then we scooped him up.

Football coaches are far from rocket scientists.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    It was a fumble....

Here is 20min NFL Films highlight show of the 77 Colts/Pats game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1fQc7roYY

Its probably my 1st football memory --- really foggy (was only almost 6 at the time). I remember this game, Ghost to the Post, and the 78 MNF Joe Washington game against the Pats. My only good Colts memories (I guess Ghost to the Post wasnt a great result, but I was excited listening to it on the radio with my Dad)

My Colts experience was bad teams (78-83) without really any hope for success. Some of these Ravens fans should remember that time and be pretty damn thankfully that this 5years of Ravens playoff football is pretty damn special.
    Great memories I remember the ghost to the post game. It was Christmas Eve, which led to a lousy Christmas. I remember most of all the 1975 Dolphin and Pats games at the end of the year. Colts had to win both to get into the playoffs. The Dolphins game featured the overtime kick in the fog to win the game. From the upper deck at Memorial stadium, you could not see the ball go through the uprights. But the Pats '75 game was the most fun. Back then the end zone where the outfield bleachers were was open to the field. They would put rope as a barrier, but it obviously did not stop anyone. In the third quarter there were hundreds of people lined around the endzone watching the game like you might see at a Rec league football game. By the 4th quarter thousands had surrounded the entire field and was watching the game from the sidelines. I actually stood on the Pats bench to watch the end of it. I actually talked to a Pats lineman during the game. Surprisingly no one went on the field during the game, but at the end everyone stormed the field and tore down the goal posts. I believe parts of the goalposts ended up at the Stadium Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    It was a fumble....

Wow. Thanks for finding this. This was my first ever Colt game. I went with my Dad. Don't remember much. Remember the fog/rain, and I remember the non-fumble. He had gotten our tickets from a bar on the Baltimore/Catonsville line (Iampieris) and we had taken a school bus to the game. On the way home, through the neighborhoods, I remember people coming out of their homes in celebration of the win and rocking the bus...it was crazy. Ironically, when I started going to Ravens games in the late 90s, my buddies and I did the same thing: took the "Iamps bus"...good times.

:word

Couldn't get to the game; my family had gone to the UK for a couple of weeks, and so we found ourselves in London. Turns out our rental flat had a radio which could pick up the broadcast. (Would there have been a broadcast on Short Wave, or could AM radio make it across the Atlantic? My hazy memory tells me there was a SW broadcast of NFL playoff games...) So my father and I sat in a room above a cheap Hampstead bakery, following the game.

Unhappy we lost, but happy we could tune in.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    This year is very familiar. Both teams started out hot, 2nd best record in AFC then teams tanked down the stretch with the Colts/Patriots playing the finale for the playoff birth. Could happen again @ Cincy if they dont beat NYG. One of the most amazing, thrilling seasons I can ever remember. Biggest comeback in the finale to pull out comeback against NE, down HUGE in the 2nd half, fans stormed the feild and tore down the goalposts. Then the Ghost to the post 2OT loss in playoffs to Oakland. It was ultimately the
    downfall of Ted Marchibroda after winning 3 straight division crowns in his first 3 years. But, 78, Jones got hurt and players sold an traded off and got old, that was the end. In that year, both pivotal games where vs Denver for playoff seeding. Bert got picked for a pick six late as the Colts where driving late for a go ahead TD by Tom Jackson. Team looked like it would never recover. Then lost to Lions on a blocked punt with 10 seconds remaing in the flukiest loss ever, somewhat similar to the Redskin game last week. Doubt, many remember. Maybe I'm to old for this forum.
    Ut-Oh I remember that season. I also remember that somehow that loss helped the Colts get into the playoffs because of the tie breaking rules that
    at that time helped if the Colts lost the game. Rules were later changed. Will go back and research it but that loss stays in mind because the blocked punt was odd looking... Yes I was at that game. Started going regularly as a season ticket holder to all Colts' games in 1964! Now with the Ravens since their beginning! Thanks for the memories.
    Last edited by Loco Ravens Fan; 12-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    Great memories I remember the ghost to the post game. It was Christmas Eve, which led to a lousy Christmas. I remember most of all the 1975 Dolphin and Pats games at the end of the year. Colts had to win both to get into the playoffs. The Dolphins game featured the overtime kick in the fog to win the game. From the upper deck at Memorial stadium, you could not see the ball go through the uprights. But the Pats '75 game was the most fun. Back then the end zone where the outfield bleachers were was open to the field. They would put rope as a barrier, but it obviously did not stop anyone. In the third quarter there were hundreds of people lined around the endzone watching the game like you might see at a Rec league football game. By the 4th quarter thousands had surrounded the entire field and was watching the game from the sidelines. I actually stood on the Pats bench to watch the end of it. I actually talked to a Pats lineman during the game. Surprisingly no one went on the field during the game, but at the end everyone stormed the field and tore down the goal posts. I believe parts of the goalposts ended up at the Stadium Lounge.
    Somebody said they were too old for this forum, I'm the oldest and been going to Colts games since the 50s as a little tot. I remember the Packers coming in before Lombardi. I remember talking to my friends in the back yard saying we never win anything in Bmore. That was in 58 when Bmore won their first championship ever.
    I didn't understand the Xs and Os but knew the main objectives of the game.

As far as goal posts, a neighbor had one sticking up in his back yard in Govans. That was in 1960 during a game with the Lions.

Colts were going for their 3rd straight championhip but played a game in Chicago. We won but they beat us up so bad they knocked us out of the PO pic, just like Ravens did to Pissburgh just now. They won but haven't won a game since after Ravens beat them up-lol.

Anyway, Colts just had to win 1 of 4 games in 1960. The last game was vs Lions and a journeyman QB named Earl Morrall, later of SB 3 and SB 5 fame with the Colts.

Unitas brought the team back with an incredible last min patented TD and the place went nuts. Everyone stormed on the field and it took about 30 mins for the cops to clear the field. Can you see that happening today-lol.

There was enough time for the kickoff and 1 play.
    Morrall got the ball and threw a short pass and the receiver ran 80 yds for the TD and win and that was the beginning of a bad decade for the Colts culminating with SB 3 with 1965 in between and Matte as the instant QB. We finished tied with GB with a 10-1-1 record with Matte as the QB. There was a game in GB won by them on a phony FG. Even their kicked kicked the dirt knowing he missed. Then he heard the crowds yelling and saw the refs calling it good.

The Colts protested the kick but to no avail of course. John Steadman had a pic of the kick and was going to publish it in the old News American. The Commish, Pete Rozelle asked him not to. Thirty years later he put the pic in his book FROM COLTS TO RAVENS and there it was a good 10 ft wide but Refs called it good.

Back to the Morrall TD, there were still fans on top of the goal posts pulling them down and there were still fans on the field.

I as one of them with my dad and uncles and one of those posts ended up down the alley-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-18-2012 at 10:53 AM.