Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

Quote Originally Posted by scottie b View Post
    i was wrong...what game am i thinking about?
    I remember the blocked punt by Detroit in the Baltimore Colts vs Detroit Lions game in 1977. At the time, I think the score was 10 all. Detroit wins 13-10 but we win too cause tie breaking rules benefited the Colts. Playoff tiebreaking rules were change for the 1978 season. Is my memory right?

i was wrong...what game am i thinking about?
    sorry guys, i found it...1978 season

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Ravens Fan View Post
    I remember the blocked punt by Detroit in the Baltimore Colts vs Detroit Lions game in 1977. At the time, I think the score was 10 all. Detroit wins 13-10 but we win too cause tie breaking rules benefited the Colts. Playoff tiebreaking rules were change for the 1978 season. Is my memory right?
    detroit was losing 10-6 and scored TD on that block w all 11 men on line. why dont teams play that 11 man punt block EVER?it definitely worked that day

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I dont' remember that Thompson quote and I never saw an 11 man line. Someone like Joe might panic but guys like Namath, Brady and the Mannings would score really fast with their quick releases.

I even remember Dilfer throwing a very short and quick 3 yd pass to Shannan Sharpe on a post pattern during the SB run and he ran 80 yds for a TD. Doesn't take long to beat it.
    The Colts QB was irrelevant to the blocked punt. The block came at 0:04 of the 4th Q. All the Colts could do was receive the KO. Bert Jones never saw the field again in the Lions game, as the Colts losing streak grew to 3 games, with only New England left. Of course, the oddity was that the Patriots were eliminated from the playoffs by the colts loss to the Lions.

Not just Chuck Thompson calling for a safety ..... In the stands, we all were screaming for Lee to take a safety. The blocked punt was incredibly stupid - both Teddy Marcibroda for not calling for the safety, and David Lee for punting in the face of the 11 man rush.

========================================================================================================

Yes & no. The score was never knotted at 10-10. The blocked punt resulted in a TD, so the score would have been 10-6 when David Lee punted directly into Leonard Thompson's outstreched hand.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Ravens Fan View Post
    The crowd booed long and loud during that game. My voice was gone for a week. I thought Kubiak came in to relieve Elway and Denver won that game. Did I remember correctly?
    I believe it was Steve DeBerg that replaced Elway. I'll always remember how loud it was that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    The Colts QB was irrelevant to the blocked punt. The block came at 0:04 of the 4th Q. All the Colts could do was receive the KO. Bert Jones never saw the field again in the Lions game, as the Colts losing streak grew to 3 games, with only New England left. Of course, the oddity was that the Patriots were eliminated from the playoffs by the colts loss to the Lions.

Not just Chuck Thompson calling for a safety ..... In the stands, we all were screaming for Lee to take a safety. The blocked punt was incredibly stupid - both Teddy Marcibroda for not calling for the safety, and David Lee for punting in the face of the 11 man rush.

========================================================================================================

Yes & no. The score was never knotted at 10-10. The blocked punt resulted in a TD, so the score would have been 10-6 when David Lee punted directly into Leonard Thompson's outstreched hand.
    Not splitting hairs, but the differ/sharpe play was 95 yards w an assist from patrick johnson pushing shannon's slow ass from behind at the end. it was the afccg against raiders, right after raiders sack of differ.

Yes it was DeBerg... Went to that game too (#7 Colt loss in row for me).

Strangely the Colts played the Broncos again in Denver. Anybody know why we played them twice in a year with the Colts in the AFC East and Broncos in the West? The second Denver game in 83 was Elway's coming out party, with him leading them to 3TD passes in the 4Q to beat the Colts.

ok, can anyone w any coaching/or good football knowledge explain me to me why teams dont ever 11-man rush a punt?it worked for detroit that day, and its the only time i can remember it being done. just quickly thinking about it, i couldnt see any drawbacks to it. even a ball not fielded can bounce in any direction, including backwards. i would imagine that 11-man fronts on punts would cause WAY more havoc w total blocks,partial blocks,tips,and rushed punts then the slight possibility of a return TD.

ok, can anyone w any coaching/or good football knowledge explain me to me why teams dont ever 11-man rush a punt?it worked for detroit that day, and its the only time i can remember it being done. just quickly thinking about it, i couldnt see any drawbacks to it. even a ball not fielded can bounce in any direction, including backwards. i would imagine that 11-man fronts on punts would cause WAY more havoc w total blocks,partial blocks,tips,and rushed punts then the slight possibility of a return TD.
    It happens Scottie B.... You'll see 11-man punt rush at the end of the game when a team is a score behind and they have no time to drive the field on offense (due to no TOs left). Just like in the Detriot game. Should it happen more? Maybe... How about an 11man rush when a team is punting on your side of the field and trying to pin you inside the 10? Its a gamble b/c the punt can bounce at say the 15 and roll to 3. If you had a punt returner back there, he could have fair caught the punt. Another reason why the 11man rush is risky is b/c you dont have space to come at the punter at angles, and the guys coming straight up the middle potentially could rough up the punter right after he punts the ball. 15yd penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    It happens Scottie B.... You'll see 11-man punt rush at the end of the game when a team is a score behind and they have no time to drive the field on offense (due to no TOs left). Just like in the Detriot game. Should it happen more? Maybe... How about an 11man rush when a team is punting on your side of the field and trying to pin you inside the 10? Its a gamble b/c the punt can bounce at say the 15 and roll to 3. If you had a punt returner back there, he could have fair caught the punt. Another reason why the 11man rush is risky is b/c you dont have space to come at the punter at angles, and the guys coming straight up the middle potentially could rough up the punter right after he punts the ball. 15yd penalty.
    thanks Hokies...its funny this discussion included that game. EVERY time a similar situation w 4th down and punt looming, i think about that game and that play happenning way back when. too much time on my hands, i guess

Not splitting hairs, but the differ/sharpe play was 95 yards w an assist from patrick johnson pushing shannon's slow ass from behind at the end. it was the afccg against raiders, right after raiders sack of differ.
    Sorry, Scottie. I had thught we were discussing Colts Lions 1977 game at the end of the 3 game losing streak. I didn't realize that the discusion shifted to Ravens-Raiders 2000 season AFC Championship game.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

OK,

I remember that play now and Chuck calling for a safety on the radio. That was a little too advanced for Marchibroda and would be for HARBs too like not calling a timeout in NE with all that confusion on the side line.

Good old Marchibroda, a nice guy whom Pissburgh kept when they cut Johnny Unitas-lol
    and he ended up in Bmore.

He ran the same plays all the time and the fans yelled from the stands, hi diddle diddle, Mitchell up the middle. The offense was so upset when the d-line called their play in front of their faces. Everyone knew what play was coming next.

One year Piss beat us in POs when we were winning but March went into his CAM mode and went conservative allowing Bradshaw to come back and win.

And people think CAM was bad.

It was really strange when Art brought March to Bmore with him. He should have brought Bellicheat-lol.

And speaking of Lydell Mitchell who was a good back, while picking 3rd in the draft, Irsay passed on someone named Walter PAyton because we had a back and took a guard named Ken Huff. He turned out to be pretty good but Payton became the greatest RB in the history of the game.

Ernie Accorsi, Colts Ass't GM said he got his Masters degree in the draft on that one. ILMAO.

We should have had Elway and Payton at the same time.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.