Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    Great memories I remember the ghost to the post game. It was Christmas Eve, which led to a lousy Christmas. I remember most of all the 1975 Dolphin and Pats games at the end of the year. Colts had to win both to get into the playoffs. The Dolphins game featured the overtime kick in the fog to win the game. From the upper deck at Memorial stadium, you could not see the ball go through the uprights. But the Pats '75 game was the most fun. Back then the end zone where the outfield bleachers were was open to the field. They would put rope as a barrier, but it obviously did not stop anyone. In the third quarter there were hundreds of people lined around the endzone watching the game like you might see at a Rec league football game. By the 4th quarter thousands had surrounded the entire field and was watching the game from the sidelines. I actually stood on the Pats bench to watch the end of it. I actually talked to a Pats lineman during the game. Surprisingly no one went on the field during the game, but at the end everyone stormed the field and tore down the goal posts. I believe parts of the goalposts ended up at the Stadium Lounge.
    How about the playoff game against the Steelers and the airplane that was buzzing around Memorial stadium and at the end of the game crashed in the upper deck around section 40! We had seats in that section for most of the game but Pittsburgh had a huge lead and most fans had already left. We had gone down to the lower concourse to sit with family at halftime and could hear the plane circling the stadium.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Here's some trivia from Berry Levinson's movie DINER when the guy locked his girl in the closest and gave her a Colts quiz. One wrong answer and they weren't getting married. LOL. That was a true story too.

The question for any old timers w/o looking it up:

What were the original colors of the Colts uniforms? Green and Silver

One of the guys in the movie said I don't know that one but the chick got em all right.

The Colts merged with the NFL in the late 40's
    and Ab Watner was the original owner. He owned a string of cemetries around Bmore.

Arty said in his book that he was counting his money in his office on Baltimore Street one day with the window open and a strong wind came in and blew it all out - about $10,000 fell down on Baltimore street as everyone grabbed it up.

No wonder he was in a financial crises and had to drop the team later on.
    Green and Silver?

I remember that 65 game vividly. We just moved down from NJ that summer. Even though Dad went to Fordham (Lombardi's alma mater) and grew up in the Bronx he was rooting for the Colts, not Lombardi's Packers. Mom was rooting for the Packers since she had gone to the same high school in NJ with Marie Lombardi. Since Dad had a fairly large tv, black and white of course, all the neigborhood was watching that game, We were all screaming at the tv that the kick was no good, but to no avail.

As for Elway, I was at the game . Did not notice him on the field or on the scoreboard. If I had I would have boo'd as loudly as I did back in 83(?). I hate the son of a bitch. My son in law brought a friend who was a Denver fan to our tailgate. I told him if he wore an Elway jersey we would all beat the crap out of him.

On my "hierarchy of hate" Elway is number 2, only behind Robert Irsay. He is ahead of Jack Kent Cooke and Paul Tagliabue. The order never changes, except sometime I switch JKC and Tags.
    The crowd booed long and loud during that game. My voice was gone for a week. I thought Kubiak came in to relieve Elway and Denver won that game. Did I remember correctly?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Ravens Fan View Post
    How about the playoff game against the Steelers and the airplane that was buzzing around Memorial stadium and at the end of the game crashed in the upper deck around section 40! We had seats in that section for most of the game but Pittsburgh had a huge lead and most fans had already left. We had gone down to the lower concourse to sit with family at halftime and could hear the plane circling the stadium.
    We were there. Luckily that game was a blow out. Because every one left early no one was left in the seats when the plane crashed. Otherwise people might have gotten killed. Even the pilot survived. I know the plane took off from a small airport near Churchville.

Blog Entries

Green and Silver?
    Exactly right and you win a seat next to CAM CAMERON wherever
    he is-lol.

And the horse shoes were in the back of the helmets with one on
    each side of the line going down the middle.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-18-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's a pic of the crash. Old Donald Kroner was trying to land the plane on the field and he almost made it-lol. But get this, he had been a flight instructor and worked in the air traffic control tower.

Good thing we got killed in the game 40-14 (I mean that was brutal) and people left early or some real people would have been killed and a lot of them.

Old Donald ended up in a mental institution.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N6276J-Kroner.htm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Ravens Fan View Post
    The crowd booed long and loud during that game. My voice was gone for a week. I thought Kubiak came in to relieve Elway and Denver won that game. Did I remember correctly?
    I think so . We were winning most of that game. Elway was awful. His Father could not believe all the booing. Elway remembered that game on TV years later saying he could not believe how pissed off Baltimore was at him. Tried to say he had nothing against BMore, just did not want to play for Irsay (or Kush). I do remember and old geyser back up QB pulling it out at the end. I do think it was either Kubiak (or maybe Craig Morton).

Blog Entries

Elway has said ever since it had nothing to do with Bmore but that's BS. He wasnt coming here- period and used baseball to get out.

And Bert Jones went out there to talk to him. He didnt' have to do that becuase he wasn't coming anyway. He told him all the horror stories like Irsay's slobbering press conference at the air port when he was drunk as a skunk and said he wasn't moving and how he crashed a radio interview Bert did after a game and they had to take it off the air. I remember that one. Irsay was a nut.

So Bert went out there but Elway wasn't coming anyway.

Kush played a hand in the final move. As soon as he got here he learned that Irsay was selling the team so he got the movers and shakers in Phoenix to make an offer to he could go home as head coach. He was run out of town after slapping a punter in the face for shanking a kick.

So Irsay went to Phoenix but then Indy heard about it and came in with an offer. Indy already had a new stadium an empty one.

Irsay still hadn't made up his mind to move until Schaeffer passed that stupid domain law where the state would take the team.

That's when Irsay skipped town in the middle of the night and he had a place to go to but Kush got the ball moving.

Then he had the nerve to say the move was the most bizzare thing he ever witnessed the way the movers came in and trashed the place.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Boulder-
    "This year is very familiar."

I respectfully disagree. Bisciotti owns the the Ravens.

Name me any owner in the NFL who was/is a bigger piece of shit than the infamous Robert Irsay! (and credit only given for rationale! ;))

Here's a pic of the crash. Old Donald Kroner was trying to land the plane on the field and he almost made it-lol. But get this, he had been a flight instructor and worked in the air traffic control tower.

Good thing we got killed in the game 40-14 (I mean that was brutal) and people left early or some real people would have been killed and a lot of them.

Old Donald ended up in a mental institution.

Great link! Memorial Stadium has so many great Colts' and Orioles' memories for me. Another special game was the one when Mike Curtis tackled the drunk fan who ran onto the field to take the football. Mad Dog slammed that guy to the ground!

people left early or some real people would have been killed and a lot of them.

We were drunk as skunks late in the 4th Q when Kroner's plane buzzed the stadium a couple times at lowering altitude. One of our group said to get out of the stadium because the plane was coming back. That season, we had seats in Section 38, and IIRC Kroner crashed into Section 41.

By the time we made it down the upper deck escalator, everone got excited and the buzz was about the plane crash in the upper deck (yes - that dumpy old stadium had escalators while the cheapskates who built M&T couldn'tfigure out how to provide them for us!). I missed seeing the crash itself - probably wouldn't have known it if I had seen it happen. I have never touched Sloe Gin again since that day.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

LOL T - great story and keep em coming.

Speaking of those escalators they were installed at the Orioles home game and they crashed. A lot of kids got hurt, a girl was killed.
    The irony was, it was safety day and a lot of safeties were there.

My parents were upset seeing it on the news because my brother and I were there but we already got off.

I called home as soon as I heard about it and saw it so they wouldn't be upset.

Here's the link.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7430,1161924
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.