Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

And speaking of gambling, Rosey also bet on SB 3 which many of us still think was fixed. However, his bookie in Miami said that he bet on the Colts. He never bet vs them so if the fix was on Rosey didn't know about it.

However, one of his favorite sons and MLB Bill Pellington of the old Colts did bet vs them. According to bar talk from Pellingtons Iron Horse in Cockeysville all the way down to Greenmount Ave Pellington bet 30,000 on the Jets.

He must have known something. He was also from New York and was a bouncer in his dad's bar when he was a kid.

He got the name The Iron Horse for playing with a broken arm. He loved the cast on it.
    Can you see today's players playing with a broken arm?

So he stood there at MLB and whacked the RBs with his cast as they came thru and got the nick name The Iron Horse and later opened a restaurant of the same name. He died a few years ago.

However, he liked the cast so much he played with it the following year. The opposing coach protested. The ref said he has a broken arm.

The coach said that was over a year ago. It's not broken any more.

They made him take it off and the NFL out-lawed playing with casts.

Goodell would have gone nuts back then.

ILAMO
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    And speaking of gambling, Rosey also bet on SB 3 which many of us still think was fixed. However, his bookie recently said that he bet on the Colts. He never bet vs them so if the fix was on Rosey didn't know about.

However, one of his favorite sons and MLB Bill Pellington of the old Colts did bet vs them. According to bar talk from Pellingtons Iron Horse in Cockeysvill all the way down to Greenmount Ave Pellington bet 30,000 on the Jets.

He must have known something.
    I believed SBIII it was fixed too, but as mentioned in a previous post here, I started believing the NFL was fixed after the 1965 game in GB. And still is!
    My family used to laugh at me whenever I said NFL was fixed and then when the Baltimore got football back, some of the strangest penalties were being called
    in close games in 96 & 97 that other believers joined with me. Those were the days when the Ravens with Vinny could score but also couldn't keep the opponent from scoring!

Blog Entries

Does anyone know how Shula even became a head coach. Rosey went to his favorite son
    Gino Marchetti and said I'm firing Weeb. Do you have any suggestions.

Gino said yea, Don Shula. Rosey said wasnt he that DB we had back in 54. Gino said yea. The Lions beat us twice this year and Shula's prints were all over it.

So Rosey called Shula and offered him the job and said you've been recommended. Shula didn't know by whom until he got here and made Gino a player coach.

Gino got into football when he came home from the war. He was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was sitting on the sofa when a college coach came to pick up his brother after giving him a scolarship to U of SF.

When they were leaving he saw Gino's massive body and said would you like to play football? Gino said hell yea and he took them both. Gino became the best player to ever play at the school and is in the HOF but he sure looks like a midget next to Goose and Ngata-lol.

In my youth, I went to 7 or 8 Colts games from 80-83.... Every game I went to they frickin loss except for last one... The Houston Oiler game. Little did I know then, it would be the last Colt game for everyone.

The only time in my Colts experience that they actually had a glimmer of hope was in 83 when they were 6-4. My dad scored some tickets to the Steelers game at home so it was the only time I was truly excited for a possible playoff season. Of course, Cliff Stoudt & the Steelers broke my heart (hated the Squealers back then too) and the rest of the season went into the tank.

Whenever I start getting pissed off that the Ravens are struggling at 9-5, I take a timeout, and remember how hopeless the Colts were in my youth. We should all thank our lucky stars that #1 WE AMAZINGLY HAVE A TEAM which is miracle, and #2 THEY WIN A LOT. It just really pisses me off when Ravens fans get so angry when everything doesnt go to their likening during a game, even when the team F----ING WINS THE GAME. Sure the Ravens have a lot of issues, but for Christ Sake, enjoy it a little that we have a Baltimore football team, and they win a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    In my youth, I went to 7 or 8 Colts games from 80-83.... Every game I went to they frickin loss except for last one... The Houston Oiler game. Little did I know then, it would be the last Colt game for everyone.

The only time in my Colts experience that they actually had a glimmer of hope was in 83 when they were 6-4. My dad scored some tickets to the Steelers game at home so it was the only time I was truly excited for a possible playoff season. Of course, Cliff Stoudt & the Steelers broke my heart (hated the Squealers back then too) and the rest of the season went into the tank.

Whenever I start getting pissed off that the Ravens are struggling at 9-5, I take a timeout, and remember how hopeless the Colts were in my youth. We should all thank our lucky stars that #1 WE AMAZINGLY HAVE A TEAM which is miracle, and #2 THEY WIN A LOT. It just really pisses me off when Ravens fans get so angry when everything doesnt go to their likening during a game, even when the team F----ING WINS THE GAME. Sure the Ravens have a lot of issues, but for Christ Sake, enjoy it a little that we have a Baltimore football team, and they win a lot.
    Oliver Luck was Houston's QB in the final game for the Colts in Baltimore. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Oliver Luck was Houston's QB in the final game for the Colts in Baltimore. Weird.
    And if the Ravens win the AFC North, there is a chance that the Indy Colts quarterbacked by Andrew Luck could be coming to town! Weird part 2!

Blog Entries

I was at the last game yelling IRSAY SUCKS, IRSAY SUCKS. It was like an old Orioles game in the 60s with only a few thousand in the stadium-lol. Everyone knew the team was moving at the end of the season and it did.

I felt like killing John Elway Sunday. They kept showing his face at the end standing on the side lines. How dare he come back here. He started the beginning of the end.

The Colts had the rights to him as the worse team in the draft but he refused to come here because his dad hated the coach - Frank Kush.

Seems Kush cheated him out of some wins or stole some recruits from Jack Elway or something but Jack hated Kush. He swore John wouldn't play for him and he didn't.

So Elway used baseball as a leverage. He was a slap hitter at best with a strong arm in the out field. The Yankees hurt us once again by offering him a contract to their minor leagues. There was no way in hell he was going to play in the bushes.

Ernie Accorsi our GM who later gave Parcells all that talent including Lawrence Taylor for their SBs swore Elway was going to sign but Irsay traded him for a stupid OG name Hinton I think.

Irsay traded one of the greatest QBs in history for a guard and said at least I got that surfer boy 500 miles from the beach.

Elway instantly signed and almost beat us as a rookie. Steadman wrote, you can just tell there's something special about John Elway. He'll be a great one.

We almost had Unitas, Bert and Elway.

Elway would have put a lot of fans in the seats and maybe, just maybe they would have stayed but I doubt it.

Irsay took so much heat from the local media for blowing the deal especially from Steadman and Phil Jackman two of the greatest sports writers to pick up a type writer. Irsay even blamed them for his departure and when Steadman was covering the first Colts game in Indy Irsay saw him and ran over and said how does if feel now. HuH? You lost your team.

The rest of the press room was shocked at such behavior but John just laughed.

But I hate seeing Elway's face on TV especially in our stadium, so much so I almost kicked
    my flat screen in half.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Weird indeed. Even weirder is the possibility of a ravens-colts wildcard matchup with none other than Andrew Luck as the starting QB with his father Oliver in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Speaking of that phony FG in GB, Baltimore complained about it so much the NFL raised the goal posts the following year and called it the Baltimore Extension.

That was an inside joke in re to all the bitching we did about the FG. They're still the same height today.

Shula beleived the game was fixed and NFL didn't want a backup RB as the premier QB in its showcase game.

So Colts went to Miami to play in the PO Bowl vs Dallas. Shula shocked the team during the week and said he was going to let Matte open it up. Everyone was shocked.

Before the game Shula watched Matte's warmups standing next to Tex Schram who kept laughing at all his high misses. Matte over-threw everything in practice just like Dilfer did before SB 35.

But in the end Matte beat Dallas by 30 points and tore apart Landry's famous flex defense.

Shula laughed on the plane ride home saying Matte didn't even know what a flex defense was.

The press and NFL were pissed at Shula for running up the score but he didn't give a damn.

He had a point to prove.

He would have won that Championship game with a backup RB to Lenny Moore as the premeir QB.
    I remember that 65 game like it was yesterday and am still pissed over it to this day! What a lot of people might have forgotten was that Green Bay shouldn't have even been close enough to kick a FG to tie the game. When the Packers were driving Billy Ray Smith sacked the QB with a straight arm across his neck (legal then, illegal today) which would have kept them out of FG range. The refs threw a penalty flag and the call was "Grabbing the Face Mask" on Smith (he never came close to touching the QB's face mask). The Pack got a automatic 1st down and kicked the FG. I think that game was fixed big time and I think those Refs were a big part of it. The spread on the game was some insane point amount (15? 20? 25? Whatever?).

ABC had a prime time documentary special on the game months afterward which was unheard of for its time (no ESPN back then) questioning the FG (but not mentioning the penalty on Billy Ray Smith).

Pete Roselle hated Rossie for years and had no love lost for the Colts so it wasn't surprising that the NFL quietly raised the goal posts but didn't really make any mention why (although everyone knew why)!

Blog Entries

Damn, you remember more than me. I forgot about the Billy Ray Smith penalty. Man, we had some great lines back then just as the Ravens have had with Goose and the guys.

Yea, we were always getting screwed by the NFL. Rozelle loved Bmore though and the last thing he said as Comish was, you gotta put a team in Baltimore. Yea, sure but I remember the first draft after the Colts moved and Pete had trouble saying Indiannapolis
    Colts and didn't. He kept said the Colts. Irsay slipped a note up that he better say the city's name or else and he finally did as difficult as it was. I clearly remember that one.

Tags succeeded him. His claim to fame was being the lead atty for the NFL when the USFL sued them to get in. Bmore was one of the 3 teams that sued. Me thinks that why Tags has always hated Bmore so much because of that law suit.

After he won Rozelle appointed him as his assistant and he took over when Pete retired and was bent on about keeping us out. He rigged the expansion derby against us teaming up with Jack Kent Cooke who claimed the territory.

Many don't know that the Skins tried to keep the Colts out by claiming Bmore. When the Colts came the city had to pay Marshall an infringement fee of $150,000. Doesn't sound like much now but that was like a million bucks back then.

So we always hated DC and had to blast our way back in. Art was the only owner powerful enough to run over Tags and Cooke. He called in a lot of favors. He scored all those big network deals back in the 60s and 70s that made the NFL rich and pass baseball as America's game.

As for that 65 year, here's a funny. During the game when both QBs went down, Shula put Matte in knowing he had played some QB at
    Ohio State. Afterwards he called Woody to see if he could last the entire season.

Woody said he's a very polite kid and you won't have a min's trouble with him. Shula said cut the shit Woody, I'm trying to prepare for the Packers on Sunday. Can he play QB in the NFL and Woody said absolutely.

Matte said the only time he was afraid to play football was when he became QB. LOL.

BTW, Shula never beat Lombardi and never had a defense here lower than 4th.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's some trivia from Berry Levinson's movie DINER when the guy locked his girl in the closest and gave her a Colts quiz. One wrong answer and they weren't getting married. LOL. That was a true story too.

The question for any old timers w/o looking it up:

What were the original colors of the Colts uniforms?

One of the guys in the movie said I don't know that one but the chick got em all right.

The Colts merged with the NFL in the late 40's
    and Ab Watner was the original owner. He owned a string of cemetries around Bmore.

Arty said in his book that he was counting his money in his office on Baltimore Street one day with the window open and a strong wind came in and blew it all out - about $10,000 fell down on Baltimore street as everyone grabbed it up.

No wonder he was in a financial crises and had to drop the team later on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I remember that 65 game like it was yesterday and am still pissed over it to this day! What a lot of people might have forgotten was that Green Bay shouldn't have even been close enough to kick a FG to tie the game. When the Packers were driving Billy Ray Smith sacked the QB with a straight arm across his neck (legal then, illegal today) which would have kept them out of FG range. The refs threw a penalty flag and the call was "Grabbing the Face Mask" on Smith (he never came close to touching the QB's face mask). The Pack got a automatic 1st down and kicked the FG. I think that game was fixed big time and I think those Refs were a big part of it. The spread on the game was some insane point amount (15? 20? 25? Whatever?).

ABC had a prime time documentary special on the game months afterward which was unheard of for its time (no ESPN back then) questioning the FG (but not mentioning the penalty on Billy Ray Smith).

Pete Roselle hated Rossie for years and had no love lost for the Colts so it wasn't surprising that the NFL quietly raised the goal posts but didn't really make any mention why (although everyone knew why)!

I remember that 65 game vividly. We just moved down from NJ that summer. Even though Dad went to Fordham (Lombardi's alma mater) and grew up in the Bronx he was rooting for the Colts, not Lombardi's Packers. Mom was rooting for the Packers since she had gone to the same high school in NJ with Marie Lombardi. Since Dad had a fairly large tv, black and white of course, all the neigborhood was watching that game, We were all screaming at the tv that the kick was no good, but to no avail.

As for Elway, I was at the game . Did not notice him on the field or on the scoreboard. If I had I would have boo'd as loudly as I did back in 83(?). I hate the son of a bitch. My son in law brought a friend who was a Denver fan to our tailgate. I told him if he wore an Elway jersey we would all beat the crap out of him.

On my "hierarchy of hate" Elway is number 2, only behind Robert Irsay. He is ahead of Jack Kent Cooke and Paul Tagliabue. The order never changes, except sometime I switch JKC and Tags.