Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    That's why you kick in OT!



    Just dumb Pittsburgh, better to have ball second.




  2. #2

    Re: That's why you kick in OT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Just dumb Pittsburgh, better to have ball second.
    Not if you opt to kick and the receiving team scores a TD - The NFL rules don't actually guarantee each team an offensive possession.

    Each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball unless the team that has the ball first scores a touchdown on its initial possession

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...overtime-rules




  3. #3

    Re: That's why you kick in OT!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Not if you opt to kick and the receiving team scores a TD - The NFL rules don't actually guarantee each team an offensive possession.

    Each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball unless the team that has the ball first scores a touchdown on its initial possession

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...overtime-rules

    Rarely does the recieiving team in OT score a TD. Maybe a FG, but then if they do score a FG you are in 4 down territory to tie it back up or take the lead. You use college rules for OT basically, better to have ball LAST.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,792
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: That's why you kick in OT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Rarely does the recieiving team in OT score a TD. Maybe a FG, but then if they do score a FG you are in 4 down territory to tie it back up or take the lead. You use college rules for OT basically, better to have ball LAST.
    Perhaps you missed this:



    Given that the Steelers have already been on the receiving end of that exact scenario in a really important game already. I don't blame them for taking the ball. Besides Dallas was on its heels most of the game.




  5. #5

    Re: That's why you kick in OT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Rarely does the recieiving team in OT score a TD. Maybe a FG, but then if they do score a FG you are in 4 down territory to tie it back up or take the lead. You use college rules for OT basically, better to have ball LAST.
    "Rarely"? It's already happened twice this year (so far). As Corey pointed out, the Steelers were eliminated in the playoffs last year in exactly this scenario.

    No coach would ever willingly give the opposing team the opportunity to win the game without his own team even having a chance to possess the ball. Nor should they.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    432

    Re: That's why you kick in OT!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    "Rarely"? It's already happened twice this year (so far). As Corey pointed out, the Steelers were eliminated in the playoffs last year in exactly this scenario.

    No coach would ever willingly give the opposing team the opportunity to win the game without his own team even having a chance to possess the ball. Nor should they.
    Don't mean to be deeck ... but the 2000 Ravens, under today's OT rules, certainly would have been better off deferring in OT




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    880
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: That's why you kick in OT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    Don't mean to be deeck ... but the 2000 Ravens, under today's OT rules, certainly would have been better off deferring in OT
    That's the decider. Good D, defer. Bad D, keep it.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland