Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Steelers Lose - Ravens are in the Playoffs (Merged)

Look I get that most everyone is frustrated because the Ravens haven't looked good but the reality is that this stuff happens. Look at the last two SB champs who were battered by injury and had 8-6 and 7-7 records at the same point of the season.

I am in no way trying to say that the Ravens will all of a sudden catch lightning in a bottle but at least they are in and in all probability will be the AFC division champs.

Win next week to feel good about yourselves. Rest in week 17 and play the Colts at home and see what happens. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers take out the Broncos in the WC round and maybe the Texans in the Divisional. The Ravens have no fear of going into Foxboro.

Despite the serious flaws on this team, you never no what can happen in the playoffs.

Re: Steelers Lose - Ravens are in the Playoffs (Merged)

i'd like to see more of Hall and Tyson. their reps have seemed to disappear.

Re: Steelers Lose

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Wrong. You are forgetting Pittsburgh lost to Cleveland. If Pitt wins next week Ravens win division. Pittsburgh has already been eliminated from any chance of winning division with loss today.
    All 3 teams tied at 9-7 goes to division record, Ravens 4-2, Pitt 4-2, Cincy 2-4. then common opponets, Ravens have won that based on Pittsburgh loss to Dallas today. Ravens have 5 game lead with not enough games to make up, then next tiebreaker is conference record. Ravens lost 2 game to NFC while Pittsburgh 1.

Wrong. You are forgetting Pittsburgh lost to Cleveland. If Pitt wins next week Ravens win division. Pittsburgh has already been eliminated from any chance of winning division with loss today.
    Cleveland is not in the scenario. It's not overall divisional record, it's the record of the tied teams against each other. Pitt would be 3-1...beat us once and swept Cincy. We would be 2-2...split against both Pitt and Cincy. And Cincy would be 1-3...only beating us once.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

So, based on this, it looks like lobachevsky is correct.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    Strength of victory.
    Strength of schedule.
    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best net points in common games.
    Best net points in all games.
    Best net touchdowns in all games.
    Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
    Last edited by Dirt1; 12-16-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Congrats you guys. Sad to see you all rooting against my team, but rooting for the Steelers is bad for your health.

Blog Entries

The Bengals were horrible on Thursday. They only won because of all of those Philly turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Am I reading this right? Because the Steelers would have swept the Bengals, the Bengals would be out. Then the ravens would win over the Steelers due to a better conference record?

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    Strength of victory.
    Strength of schedule.
    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best net points in conference games.
    Best net points in all games.
    Best net touchdowns in all games.
    Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
    Then next Sunday's game against the Giants is basically a win/bye scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Wrong again..

We would get a home playoff game but it would be Wild Card weekend here.. No byes for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Our bye chances died today with the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Wrong again..

We would get a home playoff game but it would be Wild Card weekend here.. No byes for us.
    He means win next week and clinch the division which clinches a home playoff game and then rest players during the Cincy game and use it as a bye.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    The lucky bastards still control their own destiny. Good to know. You've been on top of these scenario's man. Nice job.
    "Trust me, I'm a mathematician." Which is what I say to the supermarket cashiers when I'm working out a complicated payment amount in order to avoid pennies, dimes, & $1 bills in change whenever possible. (And about 1/3 of the time I'm wrong. So there. Not this time, though.)

To say that the Stealers "control their own destiny" speaks volumes about what you think the Ravens' chances are in the next 2 games. Very few on this board would argue very spiritedly with you after today. (Cold comfort that PGH's "franchise QB" lost them the game by tossing a pick on the 2nd play of OT.)