Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 98
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,236
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A thought I had...



    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I see that you, too, are now beginning to catch onto what it took me a long time to get. Today was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had made excuses for him for far too long. Even if Flacco heats up down the stretch, all it will prove is that instead of being one of the worst QB's in the league, he's average--good 50% of the time and bad 50% of the time is equal to average.

    First, this team needs a coaching shakeup. Harbaugh has lost the locker room and was useless in terms of X's and O's anyway. The offensive and defensive coaching staff is terrible all around. IMO, they need to go out and get a young genius offensive mind like a Jay Gruden... the best candidates I'm aware of are Joe Lombardi in New Orleans, Karl Dorrell in Houston, and Ben McAdoo in Green Bay. I think Ben McAdoo is a major dark horse, he's very young but he's coordinated both the TEs and QBs in Green Bay and been successful coaching their WCO.

    Move to the WCO, dump Flacco and trade for Matt Flynn. I'm sure the Seahawks will want to get rid of him and he's a veteran, he should be expected to start out of the gate. I doubt it would take more than a 3rd to a non-conference opponent. The Ravens are going to need to cut all the fat off their contract situation in order to rebuild in 2013... Reed, Lewis, Birk, Leach, Boldin... all gone. That's got to be close to 20m right there.

    If they grab Ben McAdoo from Green Bay, maybe Greg Jennings wouldn't mind coming here to play in his offense again? Not sure, but they need to upgrade OL and WR in the offseason in a big way. They need a LT and I think they should move Oher to guard at this point. He can't handle the speed rush or bull rush, what makes people think he'd be better at RT? His TRUE future is at LG.

    LT-??? LG-Oher C-Gradkowski/? RG-Yanda RT-Osemele

    So, in essence, they need a major offensive makeover in every respect.
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said except dumping Flacco for Flynn.

    #1 - At this point, Flacco has played himself out of a big time contract. No way in hell he is getting a major deal.
    #2 - What has Matt Flynn done? He had 1 big game...and that's it. Case and point dude - Joe Philbin didn't even want Flynn enough to get him in Miami and he had NO quarterback there.

    Now, if they brought in Flynn as a contingency plan...cool.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,860
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd also be interested in Jack Del Rio coming here as the HC and replacing Harbs.
    You can't be serious.

    A sub .500 record and a habit of throwing players and coaches under the bus is a better option than Harbs?!?!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,236
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Well...he said that he thinks we can win a championship with him as long as we have really good parts around him.

    That was a more than fair statement IMHO.

    He's just saying that the team may want to look out for maybe a developmental type and if by some chance a QB like Peyton Manning is available, that we look into it.

    Not that we let him walk and bring in Michael Vick or Alex Smith or something.
    Absolutely.

    This dumping Flacco for ___________ quarterback is nonsense.

    If anyone here thinks that Alex Smith would be more successful with the current offense then they are fucking insane.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #16

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if this team (coaching staff included) is really truly over losing in New England last year. Sometimes, I don't think they are.


    Regarding Flacco - you know...I still believe that this team can win a championship, but I've kind of cooled on him as of late. I think he is good, but he really does need a good OL in front of him and good receivers. I don't think he can "make" things happen out there enough times for THIS current team to be successful. However, with a good supporting cast I think he can be solid. At this point, I think a fair comparison is a quicker Drew Bledsoe.

    I think Flacco is the right option for next year, but I do think that if the Ravens are smart they are starting to scout around for other options.
    I think Shas made that comparison his rookie year. He really has done nothing to show he can be anything better.




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,236
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You can't be serious.

    A sub .500 record and a habit of throwing players and coaches under the bus is a better option than Harbs?!?!
    Was just thinking that he'd make the D better.

    I don't know.

    I honestly don't know where I stand on Harbs right now. What I do know is that he clearly has a locker room issue and that is something that I don't know he'll be able to fix.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #18

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Well...he said that he thinks we can win a championship with him as long as we have really good parts around him.

    That was a more than fair statement IMHO.

    He's just saying that the team may want to look out for maybe a developmental type and if by some chance a QB like Peyton Manning is available, that we look into it.

    Not that we let him walk and bring in Michael Vick or Alex Smith or something.
    I was kinda agreeing with him and addressing other posts at the same time.

    Have no prob bringing a decent developmental guy. I think it would be a smart move. Even if Joe took off in a new system that kinda guy can net you a nice pick or two (Eagles with Kolb -Pats with Castle etc). Tyrod Taylor is not that type IMO.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  7. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,583
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Was just thinking that he'd make the D better.

    I don't know.

    I honestly don't know where I stand on Harbs right now. What I do know is that he clearly has a locker room issue and that is something that I don't know he'll be able to fix.
    I do because I think most of the guys that are causing the rift in the locker room or have butt heads with Harbs won't be here next year. Ed Reed for one, we've heard from multiple sources that he and Harbs have had run ins. I won't name any other players because it would be speculation but I really don't think those guys that are challenging Harbs authority will be around next year for unrelated reasons, mainly contracts.




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,357
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Was just thinking that he'd make the D better.

    I don't know.

    I honestly don't know where I stand on Harbs right now. What I do know is that he clearly has a locker room issue and that is something that I don't know he'll be able to fix.
    Del Rio was stuck with a crap GM his entire Jags career. He never had enough parts to make an offense. If Del Rio had been here the past 5 years he would at least have the record that Harbaugh has.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  9. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    124

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Bottom line with Joe is that you know you can win with the right pieces around him. He has proven that. That has more value and brings more stability to a franchise than people give credit for. Try to remember the years before Joe if you need a reminder. Joe was a dropped pass away from a SB with a defense that was not as good as those that Boller played with IMO. He is 9-5 with a sucky Oline, a defense that is shredded by injury. Lets get real folks. Take min and think about that. Wanna blame him for problems ...fine....give him some credit to

    There is no QB in the draft who is a Luck or RGB type talent. The FA options are not necessarily guys who have proven that. Alex Smith might be the closest but even he IMO is not even close to Joe in terms of talent . I shudder to think the number Alex Smith would put up in this offensive system.

    I think we are spoiled. Its been a tough year and yet we will likely make the playoffs. There are teams out there who would kill for that kind of year in a good year, never mind an off year. All teams have off years, Steelers have and now we are. It sucks but to be reactionary and start ripping apart the team is the wrong way to go. Make changes just make them smartly and not for the sake of making them.
    I have been a Joe supporter since he took over in 2008. After the past three weeks it is obvious to me that Joe is not a franchise QB and that a top tier defense has been able to cover up his deficiencies and those if a 2nd rate coaching staff. If the Ravens sign Joe to a long term high paying contract then they will never be a Super Bowl contender. It is time for changes given the collapse of this team at the most crtical time of the season.




  10. Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Bottom line with Joe is that you know you can win with the right pieces around him. He has proven that. That has more value and brings more stability to a franchise than people give credit for. Try to remember the years before Joe if you need a reminder. Joe was a dropped pass away from a SB with a defense that was not as good as those that Boller played with IMO. He is 9-5 with a sucky Oline, a defense that is shredded by injury. Lets get real folks. Take min and think about that. Wanna blame him for problems ...fine....give him some credit to

    There is no QB in the draft who is a Luck or RGB type talent. The FA options are not necessarily guys who have proven that. Alex Smith might be the closest but even he IMO is not even close to Joe in terms of talent . I shudder to think the number Alex Smith would put up in this offensive system.

    I think we are spoiled. Its been a tough year and yet we will likely make the playoffs. There are teams out there who would kill for that kind of year in a good year, never mind an off year. All teams have off years, Steelers have and now we are. It sucks but to be reactionary and start ripping apart the team is the wrong way to go. Make changes just make them smartly and not for the sake of making them.
    This is my issue with this line of thought. Taking all things into consideration, would you feel *significantly* better with Flacco as your starter next year or Russell Wilson? Kaepernick? These were 2nd-3rd round picks that are put in strong positions to succeed. This is the same position we have to put Joe in to be successful, strong running game, dominant defense and good special teams. In order to put together that type of team, you need your QB to be on a low cap number so you can load up on the other aspects of the team. If your QB is going to command a big money deal, then he has to play well enough to make up deficiencies in other places on the team.




  11. #23

    Re: A thought I had...

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMan View Post
    So in one week, you went from he can still be really good to one of the worst QBs in the league?
    Read the post again. He's not one of the worst QBs in the league, he's average. The reason why he's average is that he looks like one of the BEST QBs in the league for a game--or a quarter--and then looks like one of the WORST QBs in the league for a game--or a quarter.

    He's consistently inconsistent, and when you put an A+ and an F together, you get what Flacco is: a C to C+.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said except dumping Flacco for Flynn.

    #1 - At this point, Flacco has played himself out of a big time contract. No way in hell he is getting a major deal.
    #2 - What has Matt Flynn done? He had 1 big game...and that's it. Case and point dude - Joe Philbin didn't even want Flynn enough to get him in Miami and he had NO quarterback there.

    Now, if they brought in Flynn as a contingency plan...cool.
    I just think Flynn is the best option available and he had some success in Green Bay's WCO. Yes, it was only two games, but he didn't look too bad in Seattle during the preseason either. Plus, I really think the thing in Seattle isn't a function of Flynn not being very good, but Russell Wilson being MUCH better than expected. Dude is playing at a really, really, really high level for a rookie, much less a 3rd round rookie.

    And regarding Philbin... how good do you really feel about his personnel evaluation? This is a guy who traded away Brandon Marshall leaving a WR depth chart of Brian Hartline, aaand.... some other guys. Oh, and let's not forget, the Dolphins did offer Flynn a contract... it's just that they low-balled him and apparently he didn't like what he saw when he visited there.

    I think they can bring Flynn in for only a 3rd or so, and his contract is very cheap. He's the best option for the Ravens to be competitive in 2013, and if he doesn't work out, he's only signed for 2 years so draft a QB in 2014 and let the two of them compete in Flynn's walk year. It's win-win.




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    2,178
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A thought I had...

    I don't think what we are seeing has anything to do with "getting over" the loss to New England last year and everything to do with the fact that this team has been ravaged by injuries, among a few other things.

    I also think Flacco is who he is at this point. I said in the weeks leading up to Cameron's firing and then last week that I wasn't sure we'd see marked improvement when he was "free" from Cam. I also think that you can't totally judge him even now because the offensive line is one of the worst in the league. There were times today when Flacco literally had about 1.5 seconds to throw before a Bronco was on him. I don't think he's as bad as he's played in some of these recent games, but I don't think he's an "elite" guy or will ever be an "elite" guy. I think he is a guy who can win and have success with a solid supporting cast, as some have said above.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland