Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If You Want to Talk About How Much You Hate Ravens, This Isn't Your Thread

It's bad enough that everyone around the country always talks about how bad the Ravens are (despite their record each year), but it's even worse when I come to this website for supposed Ravens fans and all anyone does is trash the team. As fans, it's our right to complain about the team, but I wanted to make this thread for people that don't want to listen to the incessant doom and gloom of every other thread. The Ravens are 9-5, they've lost three straight games in brutal fashion, that's not going to change, so why continue to cry about it? If you want to complain please do not post here, let's keep it positive. I'll start:

-The Ravens have a 99.5% probability of making the playoffs (They would need to lose their last two, have the Bengals-Steelers game end in a tie, and have the Bengals and Steelers win their other games to miss out on the playoffs).

-Despite their bad performance today, I see reasons for optimism from the offense. We saw route combinations that we hadn't seen in pretty much the entire Cam Cameron era, particularly with drag-routes thrown to the middle of the field. These are easy completions that will increase Flacco's completion percentage while also making the offense harder for defenses to prepare for. In addition, they allow for run-after catch, which is a major strength of Torrey, Jacoby, and Anquan. The post to Dennis Pitta for his first TD was also a thing of beauty, and one of the only times this year I've seen the Ravens be able to complete a 2nd or 3rd and very long (previously we've pretty much only seen Posts thrown to Torrey about 50 yards downfield).

- I think the ineptitude of the offense today owes mostly to the ability of the Denver defense/lack of Ravens execution and not the play-calling. Caldwell certainly made efforts to get Ray involved, but there were no holes and he was bottled up. There aren't many times where Ray has been as ineffective as he was in the first half, which severely hampers the offense. This isn't Caldwell's fault, and would be very surprised if Rice and the offense don't play significantly better going forward.

- The defense played outstanding in the first half. They came apart in the second, but it's unreasonable to think that they would play well the whole game when they were on the field as much as they were in the first half. Considering how depleted they were, I really think we could have a solid defense come playoff time when Ray, Ellerbe, and Pollard (as well as a healthier Suggs) come back.

-As down as we all are on the Ravens right now, let's remember that they outplayed the Skins and Steelers and should have won those games without bad execution/luck late in those games. We've been on the receiving end of some good luck earlier in the season and got the opposite treatment in these weeks- it happens. Meanwhile, as abysmal as this game looks, I still think the Ravens would have had a legitimate shot at winning the game if not for the pick 6 to end the half. This play was essentially a 14 point swing and a soul-crusher. Too much will be made about how lopsided the game was in the second half, but this one play significantly altered the outcome.

-Finally, I didn't think the Ravens would get the 2 seed three weeks ago and obviously nothing has changed now. The Broncos have a very easy stretch run and the Patriots were hitting their stride. If the Ravens manage to win the division, they are in the exact same position I thought they would be in before all of these devastating losses. You never want to limp into the playoffs, but they won't if the Ravens win these last two games, and they won't lose anything in terms of positioning that realistic expectations placed them at even when they were 9-2. It's too early to panic.

Re: If You Want to Talk About How Much You Hate Ravens, This Isn't Your Thread

Pessimist is the new realist. These types of posts are not welcome here.

(sarcasm)

It doesn't matter how you spin it, the offense played horrible today as a whole, and there were a lot of unnecessary penalties. With that said, I think there is a difference between having high expectations for a team who's spoiled the fans through the years with winning seasons, and getting frustrated with under performing players because we as fans expect more. And the other side overreacting and calling for the head coaches job and wanting the entire team overhauled due to a low streak. Bottom line, this team is severely banged up and won't be able to play to their potential due to all of the injuries. The skill level between most of the starters and the second stringers who we are now seeing, seems to be drastic with most positions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by palukaraven View Post
    The skill level between most of the starters and the second stringers who we are now seeing, seems to be drastic with most positions.
    I wonder how much of that comes from Harbaugh's looking at second-stringers as primarily special-teamers, & making bottom-end-roster decisions based on how well a player performs on ST, not on how well he might fill in for an injured starter.

I'm not saying that's a wrong view--in any halfway normal year it might be exactly right, since (e.g.) an OLB who's 4th or 5th on the depth chart will more directly impact the game on ST, and one or 2 lesser performers in the starting lineup can be schemed around.

But when you have multiple injuries & suddenly 3 or 4 special-teams overachievers are asked to step in, you reach a point where the entire unit's performance suffers. Not just from lesser talent, but unfamiliarity & a rise in the number of snaps they have to play. And then you then need to replace those guys on ST--or ask them to double up, which wears them out faster--& as a result your special-teams play suffers as well.

You are definitely one of the few who aren't melting down. I'm going to see how the season plays out. Anyone rember the giants last year(9-7).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I wonder how much of that comes from Harbaugh's looking at second-stringers as primarily special-teamers, & making bottom-end-roster decisions based on how well a player performs on ST, not on how well he might fill in for an injured starter.

I'm not saying that's a wrong view--in any halfway normal year it might be exactly right, since (e.g.) an OLB who's 4th or 5th on the depth chart will more directly impact the game on ST, and one or 2 lesser performers in the starting lineup can be schemed around.

But when you have multiple injuries & suddenly 3 or 4 special-teams overachievers are asked to step in, you reach a point where the entire unit's performance suffers. Not just from lesser talent, but unfamiliarity & a rise in the number of snaps they have to play. And then you then need to replace those guys on ST--or ask them to double up, which wears them out faster--& as a result your special-teams play suffers as well.
    I was thinking the same thing. Did they ever think of Ayabedejo as a Linebacker when they decided to pay him all that money?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Did they ever think of Ayabedejo as a Linebacker when they decided to pay him all that money?
    No. Harbs loves guys who can play ST. And while this year ST has been great...the depth on defense has suffered.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    You are definitely one of the few who aren't melting down. I'm going to see how the season plays out. Anyone rember the giants last year(9-7).
    You are right in wanting to see the season play out and there is always hope. I became a doubter when the Ravens lost at home to a 37 year old third string QB in Charlie Batch. I definately want to see them be successful but given that this team is old, beat up, and poorly managed, I don't hold much hope for the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    No. Harbs loves guys who can play ST. And while this year ST has been great...the depth on defense has suffered.
    Can't have it all, I guess. It was just a few months ago we were ragging on Harbs, rightfully I believe, for being a ST guru whose ST sucked. He couldn't have foreseen injuries to Lewis, Suggs, Webb, Ngata, Jimmy Smith, Pollard, etc.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

I have to continue to hold on to whatever optimism I have left, otherwise it no longer becomes enjoyable to watch the games.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Can't have it all, I guess. It was just a few months ago we were ragging on Harbs, rightfully I believe, for being a ST guru whose ST sucked. He couldn't have foreseen injuries to Lewis, Suggs, Webb, Ngata, Jimmy Smith, Pollard, etc.
    Yep, injuries tend to do that, exposed the lack of depth on a team.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Add Torrey, Dickson and Yanda. Something has me thinking, which is dangerous. I wonder if there is any correlation between the new CBA practice rules and all the Ravens injuries. We know Harbaugh is a hard ass about practice and in years past we haven't been devastated by injuries like this. I wonder if Harbaugh's practices actually helped build player durability. Just a thought that has no scientific backing at all.