Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 125
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....



    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    if youre going to say the Right is not generally known for their "liberal" views on gun laws, than were going to just disagree. Saying the right media/politicians/NRA has portrayed Obama as anti-guns, is nothing more than factual.
    I'm not going to get caught up in the minutia of the argument of putting people in boxes and reducing peoples views in to "sides".

    But if you don't think Obama is anti-gun (or at the very least, restricting what guns we own), I have to ask, have you paid attention to the news lately?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  2. #92

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I'm not going to get caught up in the minutia of the argument of putting people in boxes and reducing peoples views in to "sides".

    But if you don't think Obama is anti-gun (or at the very least, restricting what guns we own), I have to ask, have you paid attention to the news lately?
    In his own words...

    Calling it a complex problem that demands many approaches, Obama also said a strategy must address school safety, mental illness, and "a culture that too often often glorifies guns and violence."

    Once a plan is developed, Obama said, "I will do everything in my power as president to advance these efforts."

    Obama also told petitioners he believes in the Second Amendment's individual right to own firearms, and "the fact is most gun owners in America are responsible." The president said he believes that, in the wake of the Newtown shooting, many of those owners are willing to support "common sense" legislation that keeps guns away from people who should not have them.
    sounds like the focus in his mind is on the person not the weapon. Not saying everyone in his cabinet has the same views but im not seeing where hes said anything publicly about wanting to ban guns. If he has, id say its only because of this incident, which has changed some NRA members opinions, which clearly wouldnt have before the incident.
    -JAB




  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526
    Not sure what news outlets you're watching JAB.

    He's calling for a ban on so called assault weapons and a ban on high capacity magazines.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...196_story.html
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    If Obama wants to change a culture glorifying violence and guns...maybe he should go after Hollywood.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    In his own words...



    sounds like the focus in his mind is on the person not the weapon. Not saying everyone in his cabinet has the same views but im not seeing where hes said anything publicly about wanting to ban guns. If he has, id say its only because of this incident, which has changed some NRA members opinions, which clearly wouldnt have before the incident.
    Oh sweet innocent naive JAB. He has a long history of being anti-gun.


    Obama Calls for Permanent Assault Weapons Ban to Combat Inner-City Violence

    Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions

    Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
    Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
    Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
    Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.

    Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998
    Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.
    A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others. Voting YES would:

    Exempt lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime
    Exempt lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect
    Call for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought
    Prohibit the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations
    Require all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices

    Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005

    Just Google Obama anti-gun histroy, you'll find a lot. Just make sure you double check it as "the right" has probably put a few misleading things out there.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  6. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If Obama wants to change a culture glorifying violence and guns...maybe he should go after Hollywood.
    Been saying that for years. Never happen thought since "the left" gets so much money from them.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #97

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not sure what news outlets you're watching JAB.

    He's calling for a ban on so called assault weapons and a ban on high capacity magazines.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...196_story.html
    Ive read that and watched the video and nowhere does he say, "we need to ban guns". the only thing i see as far as an actual ban on assault rifles is stated by "white house officials, as almost certain". I think the title of the article is misleading. Usually when Obama "urges congress" theres video or atleast a direct quote actually supporting such a thing.

    I dont like the last paragraph though, Conn rep dismissing armed officers in schools before its even fully discussed.
    -JAB




  8. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ive read that and watched the video and nowhere does he say, "we need to ban guns". the only thing i see as far as an actual ban on assault rifles is stated by "white house officials, as almost certain". I think the title of the article is misleading. Usually when Obama "urges congress" theres video or atleast a direct quote actually supporting such a thing.

    I dont like the last paragraph though, Conn rep dismissing armed officers in schools before its even fully discussed.
    From before the Conn incident.

    Obama Calls for Renewal of Assault Weapons Ban
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  9. #99

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Oh sweet innocent naive JAB. He has a long history of being anti-gun.

    Just Google Obama anti-gun histroy, you'll find a lot. Just make sure you double check it as "the right" has probably put a few misleading things out there.
    Ive googled it a good bit. Hes opposed concealed weapons on a few occasions (which i highly disagree with) but isnt limiting ownership. also opposed armor piercing rounds, which i think is obviously a concern for law enforcement. As far as actual gun ownership, i dont see a history of limiting gun ownership.
    -JAB




  10. #100

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    From before the Conn incident.

    Obama Calls for Renewal of Assault Weapons Ban
    I stand corrected. he does say "Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.” which to me points to the gun not being the issue and focusing on the real cause of violence.
    -JAB




  11. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ive googled it a good bit. Hes opposed concealed weapons on a few occasions (which i highly disagree with) but isnt limiting ownership. also opposed armor piercing rounds, which i think is obviously a concern for law enforcement. As far as actual gun ownership, i dont see a history of limiting gun ownership.
    As part of his "armor piercing rounds" ban, he wanted to eliminate all full metal jacket rounds, at least to my knowledge.

    I am not an ammunition expert so I don't see the point in that.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I stand corrected. he does say "Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.” which to me points to the gun not being the issue and focusing on the real cause of violence.
    I disagree. I read that, as, Maybe we need to also look at a handgun ban too. Especially since he supported the ban on guns in Illinois.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  13. #103

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I disagree. I read that, as, Maybe we need to also look at a handgun ban too. Especially since he supported the ban on guns in Illinois.
    well obviously your a little bias as youre opinion that hes anti-gun in general can be part of taking it that way. The whole quote below, adding the root of violence part, i think brings that statement to its real intent.

    "Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”
    -JAB




  14. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    well obviously your a little bias as youre opinion that hes anti-gun in general can be part of taking it that way. The whole quote below, adding the root of violence part, i think brings that statement to its real intent.
    I think that knife cuts both ways.


    But I have to ask what we're seeing differently.

    "Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”
    At least from this quote he mentioned nothing but guns.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  15. #105

    Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I think that knife cuts both ways.


    But I have to ask what we're seeing differently.

    At least from this quote he mentioned nothing but guns.
    obviously that goes both ways. The fact that he mentioned "other sources of violence". other sources outside of just guns. which goes back to the earlier quote i posted about who gets them, and holding the person responsible.
    -JAB




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland