Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
thats not really helping the "anti-gun control" argument if youre saying trained professionals cant properly handle a gun, than clearly un-trained non-professionals would be more likely to have accidents as well. I dont think arming a bunch of teachers that dont necessarily want and/or are qualified is the answer. I realize youre saying itll be to their discretion, but how many will arm themselves if allowed to, at this moment out of fear. Even with the proper training if they are not avid gun owners and will not keep up with it how many forget whatever training they do receive or become complacent to responsible gun ownership. Im not against the option of guns in schools but i do think it has to be somebody with the background and knowledge and not making our teachers become guards on top of their responsibilities. Let the teachers teach and guards guard.

Im not sure what role metal detectors could have in this either. Pricey option but just having guards on-site isnt doing much but having a quicker response time if not for them.
Metal detectors would not have prevented this, the kid forced his way into the school.