Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Well if I was a lawmaker I wouldn't allow concealed carry in DC either. Considering the piss poor job they've all been doing, and all the toes they step on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Guns will never be banned in the US.

There is an issue in the US with violence but its not guns. Israel and Switzerland have pretty lax gun laws too and don't have nearly the rates of violence like we have here.

Until the debate is honest about those factors, things are not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Look at Japan and their strict gun laws. I'm not advocating the US adopt this policy, the US and Japan are 2 totally different societies... however one can't argue with their results.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...deaths/260189/

I don't see the US ever getting laws that rival that.
    Japan's low crime rate is a result of people control, not gun control.

I'm obviously not accusing you of this, but it is the classic anti-gun tactic to point to Japan. The main issue is Japan has zero standards as to who can obtain a gun other than: "any person (taking into consideration also relatives living with him) who there is reasonable cause to suspect may be dangerous to other persons' lives or properties or to the public peace." So essentially who ever the police "feel" like.

http://www.davekopel.com/2A/Foreign/...le-Control.htm
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Just saw a headline over at CBS that gave me a chuckle:

"Semi-assault Rifle Used During Sandy Hook Massacre."

If we're going make terms this arbitrary why differentiate with words at all?
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 12-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

I do hope that more restrictions on guns or ammunition isnt the outcome of CT. Id prefer armed security at every school before that.
    -JAB

I'd feel much more comfortable with a duel approach -- armed guards and allowing teachers to carry should they so choose.

I deal with guard contracting companies with my day job and I don't want those knuckleheads protecting my children without some sort of extra help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I do hope that more restrictions on guns or ammunition isnt the outcome of CT. Id prefer armed security at every school before that.
    I heard a great idea. Cops who are on disability, who could guard a school but not chase or fight a suspect, increase their pay and have them guard a school...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd feel much more comfortable with a duel approach -- armed guards and allowing teachers to carry should they so choose.

I deal with guard contracting companies with my day job and I don't want those knuckleheads protecting my children without some sort of extra help.
    i guess concealed id be alright with, but i just see an issue with a teacher leaving it unlocked in a desk or out in the open and a kid playing with it and causing another issue. Rather leave it to professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I heard a great idea. Cops who are on disability, who could guard a school but not chase or fight a suspect, increase their pay and have them guard a school...
    I wouldnt oppose that.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    i guess concealed id be alright with, but i just see an issue with a teacher leaving it unlocked in a desk or out in the open and a kid playing with it and causing another issue. Rather leave it to professionals
    A guard can be lazy about proper gun handling just as easily as one of the teachers.

Even the "professionals" have a hard time with proper gun safety ....

St. Louis area Police Chief calls for arming school personnel ....

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...ool-personnel/

Blog Entries

St. Louis area Police Chief calls for arming school personnel ....

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...ool-personnel/
    Good article that mentions schools being gun-free zones leaves them to be sitting ducks...

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ings-john-fund

I'm not sure how I feel about arming teachers though. You and I have a mutual friend who is a teacher, who I love dearly, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with her being armed.

Blog Entries

A guard can be lazy about proper gun handling just as easily as one of the teachers.

Even the "professionals" have a hard time with proper gun safety ....

thats not really helping the "anti-gun control" argument if youre saying trained professionals cant properly handle a gun, than clearly un-trained non-professionals would be more likely to have accidents as well. I dont think arming a bunch of teachers that dont necessarily want and/or are qualified is the answer. I realize youre saying itll be to their discretion, but how many will arm themselves if allowed to, at this moment out of fear. Even with the proper training if they are not avid gun owners and will not keep up with it how many forget whatever training they do receive or become complacent to responsible gun ownership. Im not against the option of guns in schools but i do think it has to be somebody with the background and knowledge and not making our teachers become guards on top of their responsibilities. Let the teachers teach and guards guard.

Im not sure what role metal detectors could have in this either. Pricey option but just having guards on-site isnt doing much but having a quicker response time if not for them.
    -JAB